Bristol Rovers (A) Sat 15th April

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

What do you expect to happen if we sack Warne?

Maybe we could appoint a tactically astute manager who is able to get the best out of his resources, which is what the best managers do, at whatever level they are at?

I think the worry lots of people have with Warne is that no one can say that Hourihane, Sibley, Bird, Knight et al are being utilised effectively and very few of us can actually see a pattern of play that is recognisable, to the point that you can clearly see what we are trying to achieve. This is coupled with the fact that time and time again, opposition managers change something and Warne doesn’t react in any way. We seem to be floundering at the moment and a lot of good faith / good will is being lost across the fan base.

I think it’s all a moot point though because we have to give him time and let him assemble his own team. Let’s hope that goes well and we don’t  then have to employ a new manger who will need a couple of years to undo the damage and do exactly the same. 

53 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We have fallen victim to fine margins too many times in the last few months to feel like there’s going to be a happy, opportunistic twist of fate. 

Ipswich, Plymouth and Wednesday deserve promotion, but each of them had to suffer and lick their wounds before feeling the benefits they’re reaping now. In the same way that they did, we just have to clear our heads, take stock, learn lessons and come back next season stronger and wiser and more of a complete package.

Couldn't Sheffield Wednesday say exactly the same thing? Don't think we should be throwing the towel in when the possibility of promotion is still there for us.

32 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We bring in a manager with an actual tactical plan beyond trying to outrun the opposition, who can build a squad over the summer.

Ask yourself this. You are a reputable manager with a good track record.

Derby have been out of administration for less than 12 months and have a business plan to follow for another 12 months - no transfer fees, a salary cap etc.

Derby have just sacked their manager and his staff less than 12 months into a four year contract, costing hundreds of thousands, cutting into an already limited budget and creating more instability.

Derby have six players out of contract and another five players returning to their parent clubs, effectively cutting the squad size in half. They also have three or four homegrown players who may push for a move during the summer window with no funds to replace them.

Would you look at the set of circumstances and think it’s an opportunity worth taking?

I would bet you good money any manager worth his salt would look at Warne being sacked and alarm bells would be ringing.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Couldn't Sheffield Wednesday say exactly the same thing? Don't think we should be throwing the towel in when the possibility of promotion is still there for us.

Well, I suppose the difference is that Wednesday have the safety net of the play-offs.

One win in eight after 23 games unbeaten is quite the turnaround in form, but they would still back themselves to regroup and win the playoffs.

Of course, the play-offs are still a possibility for us. But I don’t think the belief and the appetite for it is there any more and you can see it and feel it.

From the manager, to the players to the fans, everyone is tired, frustrated and in need of a recharge.

35 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Well, I suppose the difference is that Wednesday have the safety net of the play-offs.

One win in eight after 23 games unbeaten is quite the turnaround in form, but they would still back themselves to regroup and win the playoffs.

Of course, the play-offs are still a possibility for us. But I don’t think the belief and the appetite for it is there any more and you can see it and feel it.

From the manager, to the players to the fans, everyone is tired, frustrated and in need of a recharge.

I'm not and with a few games to go and maybe 3 more to get promoted they shouldn't be either.  If they are, it's a big worry going forward.  Playoffs are strange.  I've seen both Huddersfield and Palace get promoted in them without actually scoring a goal in open play.  The billy Davies side we had was in abject form prior to beating Southampton Bale, Rasiak and all.  They need to get their arses in gear all round as every team is this league is pretty average and well beatable.  The supersonic all conquering Ipswich with a defence tighter than a gnats chuff were abysmal for 8 games in a row 5 weeks ago.   

Thought Warne showed his colors with his post-match interview. To hide a poor performance, you shift blame and he did that by focusing a lot on the penalty decision and the standard of refereeing.

In previous weeks the focus has been more on the players and performance. But that was a horrible showing and we didn’t deserve the three points anyway. Warne probably knew that, and deflected blame on the referee. 

Warne reminds me of Gary Rowett. Likable guy, and easy to support when on a winning run. But when you start to drop points and lose to the better sides, you notice just how crap performance levels are.

12 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This is the least “diplomatic” I’ve seen Warne I think. Readily admits the faults in our own performance and makes it clear what he thinks about their penalty.

96787317-fd5b-4414-b612-a4adedf431b9_text.gif.706f00c31ba6c84813e9901daf09e399.gif

think it's fair to say that our away support is definitely feeling "not entertained" and now we're hearing that it's all part of the plan....🤣

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

This is an important point.

Still time to sack him before he does too much damage

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What do you expect to happen if we sack Warne?

I'd say we need someone with experience at this level. 
Someone "who knows L1" inside out, and has a good record of promotion up and out of this league.
We'd also need to promise him some leeway, until the EFL restrictions are lifted, and he's allowed to fully build his own squad.
Then give him time to build, given our own spending budgets (over and above the EFL restrictions).
So, perhaps a 4 year programme, and contract of a similar length.

Oh... erm... 

Genuine question. I simply can’t remember…

why did we ditch the formula that got us on a decent unbeaten run? Chiefly Sibley and smith either side of Cash and Foz and NML playing further up the pitch, not being asked to defend and  bird sitting in front of the back four?

even if we got found out a bit, surely that was our most cohesive team?

30 minutes ago, Archied said:

You do realise Paul Daniels has pegged don’t you

We need to find a Manager who can make players who can run a 100m in 12 secs, be able to do it in 8 secs - to get skilful midfield players who can’t tackle, to play like Graham Souness - to get our ageing forwards to have the pace of Michael Owen at his best and finish like Jimmy Greaves.

Should be plenty out there who can do that - there are dozens on this site.

if not, then we need to give our current manager the time to change some of the team to introduce some of the qualities we are missing. If there is anyone on this site that has the above skills please submit your application so we can all vet your experience. 

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

After today, I think we may just have to lick our wounds and accept this year is not our year.

When we went on that fantastic unbeaten run, we did really well but also everything seemed to go our way and when things didn’t, we had the belief to shake it off and come back swinging.

Now we’re experiencing the opposite. We are on an awful run, nothing seems to be going our way and when things do, we still find a way to unravel.

It’s looking like one season too soon for us and there’s no shame in that. We didn’t start the season as a favourite for promotion, after all. Even at our very best in December to late January, there were still three sides comfortably better than us.

We have fallen victim to fine margins too many times in the last few months to feel like there’s going to be a happy, opportunistic twist of fate. 

Ipswich, Plymouth and Wednesday deserve promotion, but each of them had to suffer and lick their wounds before feeling the benefits they’re reaping now. In the same way that they did, we just have to clear our heads, take stock, learn lessons and come back next season stronger and wiser and more of a complete package.

I am of the mindset that we give Warne a full season and see what he can deliver with a full pre-season, a summer window with the ability to assess and reshape the squad and his own people orchestrating things behind the scenes and putting his stamp on things.

Don’t give up on Warne yet. His work is only really about to get started.

Why do you say any of them deserve to be promoted at this moment? The season is over 46 games and, whilst I think they probably will, one of them may not even hold on to 3rd. I can see the argument that the top three teams at the end of the season “deserves” to be promoted (although I like the play offs set up even, bizarrely, when we have finished 3rd) but not when there are still 4 games remaining.

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

After today, I think we may just have to lick our wounds and accept this year is not our year.

When we went on that fantastic unbeaten run, we did really well but also everything seemed to go our way and when things didn’t, we had the belief to shake it off and come back swinging.

Now we’re experiencing the opposite. We are on an awful run, nothing seems to be going our way and when things do, we still find a way to unravel.

It’s looking like one season too soon for us and there’s no shame in that. We didn’t start the season as a favourite for promotion, after all. Even at our very best in December to late January, there were still three sides comfortably better than us.

I am of the mindset that we give Warne a full season and see what he can deliver with a full pre-season, a summer window with the ability to assess and reshape the squad and his own people orchestrating things behind the scenes and putting his stamp on things.

Don’t give up on Warne yet. His work is only really about to get started.

I’ve not given up on this season yet but apart from that I’m exactly where you are. The last line of your post is key, his work is only about to get started. It’s impossible to judge him when he’s inherited a small unbalanced squad with a couple of top players who have got us into contention, and only had January transfer window which we may as well write off as that window in particular is impossible due to the restrictions we are working under.

Next season is the only time to judge him and if we don’t get promotion the knives will be out for him for sure.

6 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

We need to find a Manager who can make players who can run a 100m in 12 secs, be able to do it in 8 secs - to get skilful midfield players who can’t tackle, to play like Graham Souness - to get our ageing forwards to have the pace of Michael Owen at his best and finish like Jimmy Greaves.

Should be plenty out there who can do that - there are dozens on this site.

if not, then we need to give our current manager the time to change some of the team to introduce some of the qualities we are missing. If there is anyone on this site that has the above skills please submit your application so we can all vet your experience. 

Unfortunately most of the credible candidates have already put themselves in line for the England job when it next becomes available, so can't see them wanting the Derby gig, plus they probably see League One as being too easy for them.

The BBC stats give us 30% possession of the ball against a mid table League 1 team. This tells me all I need to know about the style and quality of our football.

Warne seems like a bright bloke, he surely must realise that the game of football is not just about running. If you constantly give the ball back to the other team, sooner or later they are going to score a goal or three. Yes, they scored with a dodgy injury time penalty but they were always going to score at least one goal and I would say we were lucky to come away with a point.

If we control possession of the ball we control the game and the penalty doesn’t arise. IF we have the ball they don’t score, ability/skill, strength and fitness are ALL important and I don’t get the obsession with running. Pretty sure Chris Martin wouldn’t get into a PW team!

What I have seen so far under Warne’s tenure makes me have serious concerns about the direction we are going in. The style is very reminiscent of the Clough years but without the nurturing of the better young players such as Sibley, Bird and Thompson.  It’s not entertaining or good to watch and let us not forget that DCFC are in the entertainment business and some of the less committed fans will sooner or later vote with their feet if this continues into next season.

2 minutes ago, chadlad said:

The BBC stats give us 30% possession of the ball against a mid table League 1 team. This tells me all I need to know about the style and quality of our football.

Warne seems like a bright bloke, he surely must realise that the game of football is not just about running. If you constantly give the ball back to the other team, sooner or later they are going to score a goal or three. Yes, they scored with a dodgy injury time penalty but they were always going to score at least one goal and I would say we were lucky to come away with a point.

If we control possession of the ball we control the game and the penalty doesn’t arise. IF we have the ball they don’t score, ability/skill, strength and fitness are ALL important and I don’t get the obsession with running. Pretty sure Chris Martin wouldn’t get into a PW team!

What I have seen so far under Warne’s tenure makes me have serious concerns about the direction we are going in. The style is very reminiscent of the Clough years but without the nurturing of the better young players such as Sibley, Bird and Thompson.  It’s not entertaining or good to watch and let us not forget that DCFC are in the entertainment business and some of the less committed fans will sooner or later vote with their feet if this continues into next season.

I'd say we stopped controlling games the day that Bird got injured.

Just how it seems to me and not sure if it is reflected in official stats.