Bristol Rovers (A) Sat 15th April

8 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I take a lot of your points about how the team is playing currently but using the 30% possession stat from yesterday as the benchmark isn’t the one. We had 63% possession against MK Dons and 29 attempts at goal, each game in isolation throws up different stats that can be used to make a point.

Your other general points about controlling the ball are absolutely valid, I don’t want to see us go back to holding the ball for the sake of it and doing nothing with it. Earlier this season Warne seemed to have struck a balance in the side between controlling the ball and using physical attributes to get us on a winning run. I genuinely think if he can find the right players to complement his stubbornly pursued 3-5-2 then it’ll work as he intends it, however for the remainder of this season I think he should be looking to get back to that 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 that was working earlier in the season. 
He wants Knight in the side no matter what for all his running, but is he effective at the minute in midfield? I’d potentially use him at right back with Cashin, Forsyth and Roberts making up the back 4. Get Smith or Bird as the holding midfielder with 2 of Hourihane/Sibley/Bird as the others in the middle and play NML and Barkhuizen/Dobbin either side of McGoldrick. Get back to what was working and see if we can still sneak into that top 6. 

I don't necessarily have a problem with the 3-5-2, more that Warne is persisting with ill-suited wing backs. Its clear as day neither Mendez-Laing or Barkhuizen suit playing wing back, they've said as much themselves so dont understand why Warne is continually picking them there. You've correctly highlighted Knight's lack of effectiveness in centre midfield, I would be playing him as RWB instead of Mendez-Laing. Fundamentally that position needs tremendous stamina, ability to join in with build up play & decent quality from wide....all things Knight is very capable of doing. On the other flank, I'd be looking at either Sibley or Springett at LWB over Barkhuizen. 

With regard to a sitter in midfield, I'm surprised Jake Rooney hasnt been looked at there yet. Physical presence, confident on the ball & enables us to compete aerially in midfield. Whilst Bird is a good DCM, I think we could do with his quality further up the park to help us to control games better than we're currently doing

Whilst more of a 3-4-3, I feel this set up would suit our strengths better & negate some of the current weaknesses;

20230416_170058.thumb.jpg.a1dac162d4b100fc9e0474dbf1938f35.jpg

Edited by LeedsCityRam

8 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I don't necessarily have a problem with the 3-5-2, more that Warne is persisting with ill-suited wing backs. Its clear as day neither Mendez-Laing or Barkhuizen suit playing wing back, they've said as much themselves so dont understand why Warne is continually picking them there. You've correctly highlighted Knight's lack of effectiveness in midfield, I would be playing him as RWB instead of Mendez-Laing. Fundamentally that position needs tremendous stamina, ability to join in with build up play & decent quality from wide....all things Knight is very capable of doing. On the other flank, I'd be looking at either Sibley or Springett at LWB over Barkhuizen. 

With regard to a sitter in midfield, I'm surprised Jake Rooney hasnt been looked at there yet. Physical presence, confident on the ball & enables us to compete aerially. Whilst Bird is a good DCM, I think we could do his quality further up the park to help us to control games better than we're currently doing

Whilst more of a 3-4-3, I feel this set up would suit our strengths better & negate some of the current weaknesses;

With the exception of the match against a poor Oxford side, Sibleys' most effective performances this season have been at LWB where his overlapping regularly created panic in the opposition right flank. If we are going to find a place for him in the starting eleven then for me that's the only position available - he can still provide an attacking threat from deep.

7 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

With the exception of the match against a poor Oxford side, Sibleys' most effective performances this season have been at LWB where his overlapping regularly created panic in the opposition right flank. If we are going to find a place for him in the starting eleven then for me that's the only position available - he can still provide an attacking threat from deep.

'With the exception', how many other non-defensive games had he played for Warne? Most sides are poor in this league. A game where he scored two goals. He could easily come on instead of Dobbin.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Sibley played some nice attacking football at LWB (esp linking w Barks) tho’ defensively he was less strong. But his most effective game was against Oxford and given the difficulty we have scoring why don’t we give him a run higher up the pitch ?

Time to stop worrying about anyone else’s performance and concentrate on establishing and maintaining a lead against whoever we are pitched against!

We are in an enviable position in the League.

We could lodge an appeal against the EFL’s suspended and suspicious points deduction for Peterborough.

I’d sooner keep it on the pitch and go for max points in the final four, six or seven games of the season,…

Whenever ours ends!

25 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I don't necessarily have a problem with the 3-5-2, more that Warne is persisting with ill-suited wing backs. Its clear as day neither Mendez-Laing or Barkhuizen suit playing wing back, they've said as much themselves so dont understand why Warne is continually picking them there. You've correctly highlighted Knight's lack of effectiveness in centre midfield, I would be playing him as RWB instead of Mendez-Laing. Fundamentally that position needs tremendous stamina, ability to join in with build up play & decent quality from wide....all things Knight is very capable of doing. On the other flank, I'd be looking at either Sibley or Springett at LWB over Barkhuizen. 

With regard to a sitter in midfield, I'm surprised Jake Rooney hasnt been looked at there yet. Physical presence, confident on the ball & enables us to compete aerially in midfield. Whilst Bird is a good DCM, I think we could do with his quality further up the park to help us to control games better than we're currently doing

That’s a decent line up.

Id also suggest we could play the 3-5-2 but need to be a bit more radical in our selections.

If pushed to pick a 3-5-2 I’d go for:

Wildsmith     

Rooney   Foz     Cash

Knight      Bird     Hourihane  Roberts 

Sibley

McG     Barks

Back to the Bald Eagle style 3-5-2!

Ive left Smith out even though I like him and think he’s done fairly well during this poor spell. This allows us to play that Bird, Knight, Sibley midfield that really should have been given a run.

Also Barks upfront is a must for me, until we can find a new striker, his pace will help us push teams deeper. Collins tries but has absolutely no goal threat. Sibley and McG can advance or drop deeper when and where required and help us massively with our utter lack of cutting edge in the final third

8 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I think B4 means we can still get promoted as opposed to catching Barnsley, which would actually be a rather miraculous achievement!

I don't think overcoming the odd miracle here and there is or ever will be a barrier for B4 in the advancement of Derby County.

He was holding court on the coach park yesterday after the game explaining that he was at the other end of the ground to the penalty award and couldn't really see what happened but he assured everyone as he boarded his coach "Anyway it definitely wasn't a penalty and so duck the EFL." So there you have it 😂.

1 minute ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I don't think overcoming the odd miracle here and there is or ever will be a barrier for B4 in the advancement of Derby County.

He was holding court on the coach park yesterday after the game explaining that he was at the other end of the ground to the penalty award and couldn't really see what happened but he assured everyone as he boarded his coach "Anyway it definitely wasn't a penalty and so duck the EFL." So there you have it 😂.

Not seen the incident but that's good enough for me - never a penalty!

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not seen the incident but that's good enough for me - never a penalty!

I was level with it in the home end and it wasn't a penalty in a month of Sundays but I still enjoyed B4's post-match analysis. It made the trip home much more cheerful 😆