Bristol Rovers (A) Sat 15th April

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

With the exception of the match against a poor Oxford side, Sibleys' most effective performances this season have been at LWB where his overlapping regularly created panic in the opposition right flank. If we are going to find a place for him in the starting eleven then for me that's the only position available - he can still provide an attacking threat from deep.

Think he’s actually better at left back. Left wing back means huge amounts of running. At least left back he starts deep and has space to run into. Left wing back you’re almost straight away running at the full back.

On 15/04/2023 at 17:56, Dcfcsr92 said:

The formation doesn't suit our squad you cant blame nml it doesnt suit him, maybe you should blame the management i understand thats what he wants to play but it really doesnt suit our squad! The football isnt even good! We look so poor 

I wasn’t necessarily blaming NML, he’ll play where he has to to play but as you say the system doesn’t suit him, he probably doesn’t want to play it so perhaps isn’t committed in playing it as well as he could. It is down to the management which was really what I was getting at. Also NML hasn’t played well for a few weeks regardless of the position in my opinion, no slight on him over the whole season just feel Warne has over relied and over used him recently when perhaps a few sub appearances and an impact off the bench might have helped him and the team?

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

That’s a decent line up.

Id also suggest we could play the 3-5-2 but need to be a bit more radical in our selections.

If pushed to pick a 3-5-2 I’d go for:

Wildsmith     

Rooney   Foz     Cash

Knight      Bird     Hourihane  Roberts 

Sibley

McG     Barks

Back to the Bald Eagle style 3-5-2!

Ive left Smith out even though I like him and think he’s done fairly well during this poor spell. This allows us to play that Bird, Knight, Sibley midfield that really should have been given a run.

Also Barks upfront is a must for me, until we can find a new striker, his pace will help us push teams deeper. Collins tries but has absolutely no goal threat. Sibley and McG can advance or drop deeper when and where required and help us massively with our utter lack of cutting edge in the final third

The idea of putting Barkhuizen up top is something that had occured to me too. Quick & a good finisher, I can't think of a major reason why he couldn't be an makeshift striker running in behind & varying our threat. As you rightly say, he'd stretch the play & in your formation, would open up space for Sibley.

We are so reliant on McGoldrick as a goal threat currently, if he got injured we wouldn't even be a top 10 side in this division IMO.

I was really pleased to see PW angry and fired up in that interview. I wanted to see that kind of passion in him weeks ago. 

Totally accept the performance was poor but teams that make the top 6 win when they are dominant and find a way to grind it out when they're not. The 4 points dropped in the last two games are a sign we're just not there.

However, even though we're running out of games, we still have a chance to sneak into the play offs. It'll go to the last day and then who knows.

I want to see more fire from Warne, it was really good to see him revved up like that.

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The idea of putting Barkhuizen up top is something that had occured to me too. Quick & a good finisher, I can't think of a major reason why he couldn't be an makeshift striker running in behind & varying our threat. As you rightly say, he'd stretch the play & in your formation, would open up space for Sibley.

We are so reliant on McGoldrick as a goal threat currently, if he got injured we wouldn't even be a top 10 side in this division IMO.

Yep. 

Ironically McG is one of the reasons we look so toothless. Not because he’s doing anything wrong, but he’s our only attacking threat and he likes to drop deep, generally leaving no-one ahead of him, so we lose any threat.

In the absence of a decent striker, Im very surprised we haven’t utilised Barks, especially when hes spent a lot of time on the bench.

Hes not the answer long term, but right now, with no other strikers, I believe he’d be a good option. He could do the first 60mins and then bring Collins on to do his headless chicken act to see the game out if we’re leading! 

7 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Yep. 

Ironically McG is one of the reasons we look so toothless. Not because he’s doing anything wrong, but he’s our only attacking threat and he likes to drop deep, generally leaving no-one ahead of him, so we lose any threat.

In the absence of a decent striker, Im very surprised we haven’t utilised Barks, especially when hes spent a lot of time on the bench.

Hes not the answer long term, but right now, with no other strikers, I believe he’d be a good option. He could do the first 60mins and then bring Collins on to do his headless chicken act to see the game out if we’re leading! 

True, McGoldrick up top means the opposition can start pressing higher knowing there's little threat in behind as he wants to be involved in the build up. Our stock response to the press is to then start going long which doesnt suit him as a forward, vicious circle.

We've struggled for goal threat against the better sides this season...only 11 goals in 13 games I believe. Time to be creative now given 3 of of last 4 are against top half teams & redeploying Rooney and Barkhuizen in positions where we're weak would show we've tried everything, even if we ultimately fall short. To expect different results with yesterday's line up given the performance/lack of possession would be pigheaded in the extreme.

Another rubbish performance tbh. Warne is not getting the best out of these players and again there just seems to be few patterns of play or a settled style. I know Rovers had 13 points from their 7 games but the way we accepted being on the back foot shouldn't be on. I just feel a bit empty with this team atm- they're giving us absolutely fu** all to root for and Warne's inability to acknowledge and address the fundamental problems creating the conditions for our terrible form is just frustrating at this point.

13 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Such a weird, backwards post.

You've basically said what we need is to find a manager who has no responsibility to tailor his work to suit the resources at hand, should be allowed to force unsuitably high demands on an understaffed workforce and shouldn't hold any accountability for the inevitable fall in productivity levels.

Can't see you getting very far in business with that sort of thinking, nevertheless... 

...sounds great! Got any other jobs going? I promise that I'll run your business into the ground as soon as possible. I'll start next week, how does £300k pa basic work for you?

You’re just the type of poster on this site I am aiming at. All criticism but no back up ideas on how to inject any pace, aggression into the existing players. You cannot change a players basic makeup, or very rarely. We need some different types of player to meld in with the better ones we have. You cannot make Bird run with greater pace or tackle like Norman Hunter but can can provide someone to win the ball, give it to Bird, who can then move it forward.

We do not currently have those players, we need change (not the Manager)

You give no credible solutions, just moan at what we have.

4 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Yep. 

By his own admission, he's been tried up front and was 'rubbish' at previous clubs. What we needed to do was get an actual striker with pace on loan and years in the legs.  With the money used on Springett and Whites wages, plus Osulas departure and a small fee for Stretton, I don't believe it was unaffordable or no one was available better than what we had- Collins.  We simply don't have a manager with those contacts to call in a favour, or, one playing any kind of game that would entice a club to wave a nominal loan fee, to get time playing to a system that would enhance them going forward at a higher level. 

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

By his own admission, he's been tried up front and was 'rubbish' at previous clubs. What we needed to do was get an actual striker with pace on loan and years in the legs.  With the money used on Springett and Whites wages, plus Osulas departure and a small fee for Stretton, I don't believe it was unaffordable or no one was available better than what we had- Collins.  We simply don't have a manager with those contacts to call in a favour, or, one playing any kind of game that would entice a club to wave a nominal loan fee, to get time playing to a system that would enhance them going forward at a higher level. 

You don't believe that based on what? Strikers of a good level are notoriously difficult to get, and even more difficult if you're under a business plan like we are. What percentage of White's wages are we paying? What percentage of Osula's were we paying? You are guessing with a negative spin to fit your confirmation bias. Literally 0 substance to this post.

15 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I don’t know whether we could have got someone in that was worth bringing in or not.

Ultimately we are where we are and for me he’d be a better option than Collins.

17 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You don't believe that based on what? Strikers of a good level are notoriously difficult to get, and even more difficult if you're under a business plan like we are. What percentage of White's wages are we paying? What percentage of Osula's were we paying? You are guessing with a negative spin to fit your confirmation bias. Literally 0 substance to this post.

Supposedly White, Springett and Osula had a number of offers.  I can't believe for a minute they're here for nothing.  We've got literally a whole squad in under a business plan and money was clearly available as one was sold and one went back.  We choose to get two players in for positions which didn't need strengthening.   

Personally I would go with 4 5 1 with didzy told to stay where he can hurt other teams , apart from a few sides in this division they all lack the kind of finisher didzy is , they squander chances , four at the back ( settled 4 please ) 5 in midfield with the flavour of that 5 being decided on the opposition and or how a game is panning out ie need to defend a lead and break or attack 

10 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

You’re just the type of poster on this site I am aiming at. All criticism but no back up ideas on how to inject any pace, aggression into the existing players. You cannot change a players basic makeup, or very rarely. We need some different types of player to meld in with the better ones we have. You cannot make Bird run with greater pace or tackle like Norman Hunter but can can provide someone to win the ball, give it to Bird, who can then move it forward.

We do not currently have those players, we need change (not the Manager)

You give no credible solutions, just moan at what we have.

There's a really, really big problem with your post and you don't even realise it. You're actually criticising Warne.

You're asking for solutions to problems exacerbated by the manager not being able to adapt his methods to suit the squad at his disposal and then having a go at me for not offering 'back up ideas'.  You're spouting "you cannot change a players basic makeup" at me and ignoring / excusing that this is exactly what Warne has been trying to do, rather than to find ways to work with what he has.

Warne knew about our limitations when he joined (to his credit, it's not a job everyone would take), he identified that we lacked players (as did everyone) in a certain age bracket, but he was fully aware that we're not in a position to make big changes to the makeup of the squad.

He's likely one of the higher paid managers in the division now, and with his record he probably should be - it's up to him to find solutions from within the squad, not me! Again, he knew exactly what he was walking into. You'd expect him to be able to show a lot more adaptability & tactical nuance than he has, to produce a team which is greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm not "moaning at everything we have" - quite the opposite in fact, I'm saying that at times more could have been made of what we have. You're the one moaning about what we don't have, acting like the way Warne has us set up is the only way things could possibly be and that the only reason we're faltering is because of the players he's working with.

If you can't make certain players do certain things, don't bloody ask them to by stubbornly insisting on a system that won't work with those players. If you don't have the players to play certain roles, don't play a system that specifically demands you do! That's not how building a team works, but it's a surefire way to make individual players look worse than they are and convince people that they are the problem.

Much like a good team, we don't all have to perform the same role as posters, there are a mix of different posting styles that add to the pot and complement each other. As to what else he could have done - look around - there are plenty of posts offering ideas of what we could do to lighten the load on our squad. There was a very good one by @JustOneBiblicalKazim on the Paul Warne thread a little earlier.

There's also only so much time any one person has to post and how many bases they can cover, if I was to put a post together with all of the complaints followed by all the possible solutions not only would it take me about 6 hours, it would be about 20,000 characters long. There's no point in me doing that when others can take up the slack to build on what's been written.

Edited by Kokosnuss

4 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I'm not "moaning at everything we have" - quite the opposite in fact, I'm saying that at times more could have been made of what we have. You're the one moaning about what we don't have, acting like the way Warne has us set up is the only way things could possibly be and that the only reason we're faltering is because of the players he's working with.

If you can't make certain players do certain things, don't bloody ask them to by stubbornly insisting on a system that won't work with those players. If you don't have the players to play certain roles, don't play a system that specifically demands you do! That's not how building a team works, but it's a surefire way to make individual players look worse than they are and convince people that they are the problem.

The vast majority of the squad was assembled by LR, He played a possession based game, Our away form and the goals scored for column was pretty poor on the eye imo, It was a dour slow ponderous watch, More like the "Chuckle Brothers...too me too you" that doesn't mean others didn't like it.

PW came in and changed to a system/s that got results and now struggles for results, Even in the 16 game unbeaten run(which I enjoyed)the football wasn't a joy to watch...imo, Is there a Manager out there that could get better from what we have?...there's a couple of suggestions on the PW thread.

4 years Ipswich have been in this division, We might have to be very very patient, Expectations and Hopes cloud our minds at times.

26 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

The vast majority of the squad was assembled by LR, He played a possession based game, Our away form and the goals scored for column was pretty poor on the eye imo, It was a dour slow ponderous watch, More like the "Chuckle Brothers...too me too you" that doesn't mean others didn't like it.

PW came in and changed to a system/s that got results and now struggles for results, Even in the 16 game unbeaten run(which I enjoyed)the football wasn't a joy to watch...imo, Is there a Manager out there that could get better from what we have?...there's a couple of suggestions on the PW thread.

4 years Ipswich have been in this division, We might have to be very very patient, Expectations and Hopes cloud our minds at times.

I understand your point, but we're not discussing theoreticals about what Rosenior would have done or what other managers would do. We're discussing things that have actually happened under Warne.

However if you insist... Rosenior was/is an inexperienced manager and as such you should expect that there will be more difficulties encountered while he learns the ropes and gets accustomed to the role. You would expect less of those problems to occur with an experienced League One manager with a history of success at the helm.

Rosenior's Hull (a middling to poor Championship squad all-told) have had away games since he took over where they've scored 4 goals (x2), 3 goals (x1), 1 goal (x4) so there's evidence that his teams can score goals away from home and no reason to think that we'd have continued to draw blanks against some really s*** League One defences, with the quality we possess in the team.

As much as you exaggerate Rosenior's football (dour, ponderous) it got results on a par with what we've seen under Warne, and the poor performances under Warne have been as bad if not worse (in their own way) than any we saw at the start of the season. 

It remains comical to me how many people are willing to give out excuses to the experienced manager they wouldn't have been willing to give out to the inexperienced one. That said, you won't find any posts where I've said that Rosenior should have been kept on.

And yes, we do have to be patient - you also won't find a single post where I've said we should get rid of Warne!

Edited by Kokosnuss

9 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Rosenior's Hull (a middling to poor Championship squad all-told) have had away games since he took over where they've scored 4 goals (x2), 3 goals (x1), 1 goal (x4) so there's evidence that his teams can score goals away from home and no reason to think that we'd have continued to draw blanks against some really s*** League One defences, with the quality we possess in the team.

Also, the away games we didn't score any goals:

Charlton - Won the home game 2-0.
Shrewsbury - Drew 2-2.
Fleetwood - Lost 0-2.
Lincoln - Drew 1-1, against 10 men.

So it's not as if Warne has a great record against those teams either. The only team that Warne has beaten that Rosenior didn't is Charlton.
We lost to Mansfield, Barnsley, Peterborough and Wycombe, yet Rosenior beat all 4.

Edited by Jubbs