Bristol Rovers (A) Sat 15th April

4 hours ago, Rambam said:

Very disappointing. I never liked 3-5-2, because it invariably ends up 5-3-2, with the ‘wing backs’ not being wingers. Why play White, who is not our player, and leave Sibley on the bench? I think it’s fair to suggest White should stay out of the penalty area. 

White is a decent option when we’re on the attack.

When he has to defend though, he becomes a bit of a liability. He has no idea how to track runners and it causes us plenty of problems.

3 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

This is the only thing I will get at Warne for. It's square pegs in round holes again.

This squad suits a 433 or 442 formation where players play in their natural positions. 352 just does not work, we do not have the personnel.

Playing barkheuizen and Mendez Laing as wing backs is just wrong because it's not their game. It does not get the best out of them at all. Frustrates me every time I see it.

Mendez Laing was walking at times yesterday and we were dead lucky not to concede in the first half. He got beat for the mk Dons equaliser as well. Would those situations have arose if Mendez Laing was playing further forward in his natural position and not chasing back towards his own goal?

If Warne can't see this and still continues to play this system then he must be clueless.

In a 352, with the players at the club (and loaned out):

GK: Wildsmith, McGee, Loach, Evans

RCB: Chester, Rooney

CB: Davies, Stearman

LCB: Cashin, Forsyth 

RWB: Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen 

LWB: Roberts, Springett

RCM: Knight, White, Tommo 

CM: Bird, Smith 

LCM: Hourihane, Sibley 

CF: McGoldrick, Cybulski

CF: Collins, Dobbin 

For me, the issue mostly is tactics (play style) rather than formation.

CB is a slight issue, with Stearman pretty much retired, Chester on the treatment table, Davies needing a run of games to get up to speed and Rooney being inexperienced, but I feel there's enough to get by.

Wing back is also a slight issue due to Springett being injured, which means Sibley would have to cover LWB or Smith at RWB. This leaves White and Tommo as our CM cover, with Smith and Sibley too if not needed at WB - more than good enough at this level.

We're also short of options at CF, but recalling Cybulski means we can afford to rotate our options and rest our most influential player.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stearman pretty much retired,

When Davies got injured at the start of the season Stearman stood in for 5 (full) games and did better than I expected him to. We had 2 wins, 2 draws & 1 defeat in those games including 2 clean sheets and I thought I was going to have to eat my words about him being a waste of a contract.

While I feel he would be horribly exposed in Warne's system, he did make has made a handful of appearances under him before disappearing exclusively to the coaching set up and he does still represent another 'body' we haven't since made any telling use of.

Edited by Kokosnuss

After mulling it over, it’s hard to argue with those that say this was a very poor performance. 

We can look at the peno decision all we want, but I struggle to say we even deserved a point on that performance.

Players looked absolutely done, NML stood and watched an attack that developed about 10-15 foot from him and couldn’t be bothered to get involved, when he could easily have moved across and tried to intercept.

The signs out there are not looking good. Only McG and Hourihane seem to be keeping their heads whilst the rest are losing them.

Not sure what the idea is behind having White (who’s not our player) ahead of Sibley or even the on loan Thompson? Sibley completely out of position at LB earlier in the season was less of a liability, yet Sibley seems completely out of favour.

Thats just one example and the inexplicable decisions are mounting up, it’s not doing the manager any favours.

12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

So let’s say Ipswich, Wendies and Plymouth go up. Still there’s Portsmouth, Barnsley,  Bolton, Peterboro, Wycombe, 3 clubs coming down. Plus the chance that an unlikely club  or two will find that magic combination of players  and manager and blow the lights out. So I don’t buy what you say at all I’m afraid. Imo we’ve got as much chance of going up this season as getting automatic promotion next season under Warne 

We are just one point outside the play off and Barnsley not likely to beat ipwhich town and that goes to peterboro as well.

23 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Both sides play ipwhich play them and peterboro neathier Barnsley or peterboro not likely to beat ipwhich town.

Barnsley are 12 pts in front of us B4 and have 16 goal better goal difference 

they would have to lose their last 5 games and we would have to win our last 4 games just to be level with them

i know your an optimist but we ain’t catching Barnsley, we need to catch either Bolton or Peterborough to do that we need a upturn in our form and hope one of them slip up

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In a 352, with the players at the club (and loaned out):

GK: Wildsmith, McGee, Loach, Evans

RCB: Chester, Rooney

CB: Davies, Stearman

LCB: Cashin, Forsyth 

RWB: Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen 

LWB: Roberts, Springett

RCM: Knight, White, Tommo 

CM: Bird, Smith 

LCM: Hourihane, Sibley 

CF: McGoldrick, Cybulski

CF: Collins, Dobbin 

For me, the issue mostly is tactics (play style) rather than formation.

CB is a slight issue, with Stearman pretty much retired, Chester on the treatment table, Davies needing a run of games to get up to speed and Rooney being inexperienced, but I feel there's enough to get by.

Wing back is also a slight issue due to Springett being injured, which means Sibley would have to cover LWB or Smith at RWB. This leaves White and Tommo as our CM cover, with Smith and Sibley too if not needed at WB - more than good enough at this level.

We're also short of options at CF, but recalling Cybulski means we can afford to rotate our options and rest our most influential player.

This is very much an on paper assessment. Nml and barkhuizen are never wing backs. Springett also.

roberts been one of better players lately but hardly a recognised wingback. 

Neither of the cb options are being picked so warne sees that differently also

43 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

they would have to lose their last 5 games and we would have to win our last 4 games just to be level with them

i know your an optimist but we ain’t catching Barnsley, we need to catch either Bolton or Peterborough to do that we need a upturn in our form and hope one of them slip up

I couldn’t understand what he was saying, even B4 at his most optimistic couldn’t be saying we can catch Barnsley……surely 🤣

14 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What do you expect to happen if we sack Warne?

I'd expect us to struggle financially after paying off the remainder of his and his coaching teams contracts and for the EFL to keep the current business plan in place after throwing so much money away. 

52 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

This is very much an on paper assessment. Nml and barkhuizen are never wing backs. Springett also.

roberts been one of better players lately but hardly a recognised wingback. 

Neither of the cb options are being picked so warne sees that differently also

On paper, yes. All players I've listed are more than capable of playing as wing backs in this division in a top 6 side.

As I've said previously, the issue is tactics, resulting in the CBs left vulnerable and often caught in 1v1 battles, which doesn't suit our slower and/or aging options (hence our youngest and faster CBs currently starting). Once we started to sit deeper Davies and Forsyth came on as they were better suited to the style of play at that point in the game.

16 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I can’t imagine he’s going to do anything rash, in terms of Warne and his team they’re going to be in place until next season even if we lose every single game between now and the end of the season. 

The team will look completely different next season, I’d imagine we’re looking at a huge turnover in players regardless of which division we’re in and anything other than the top two next season will be a disappointment. Simply put, the playoffs next season isn’t and shouldn’t be good enough. When he has his own team in place, he simply has no excuses for not being successful - especially if the likes of Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday do get promoted. 

Crying out load he only got some of team togather even then he had to till after Christmas give warn time to sort it out.

3 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

They will slip up once were in the lead we need try finnish of sides unless near end of the game we have to try hang in there till final whistle.