Torquay v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

6 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Do we even get much cash for a 1st round replay, 45% of gate receipts obviously, but can’t be much else?

There's probably a good chance of the replay being on TV, which will be worth as much as quite an extra few thousand fans going to the game, plus extra revenue from pitch side advertising.

2 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Our 'fans' were toxic-the muppet that streaked tried to fight an old boy at half time for nothing, then him and his mate started on Wildsmith, the stewards refused to throw them out for some reason though before they interrupted the game-absolute ricks

Think they were Liverpool fans, even though the one who ran on the pitch did have a Derby training top on. The fight was because the 'streakers' mate was wearing a Liverpool shirt, and the one who streaked was saying he was born in Derby so will come to away games if he wants.

The guy was acting weird all first half, definitely on something. His mate lifted his top up to reveal the Liverpool shirt as the bloke was running around the pitch. Weird behaviour. Not actual Derby fans.

9 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Think they were Liverpool fans, even though the one who ran on the pitch did have a Derby training top on. The fight was because the 'streakers' mate was wearing a Liverpool shirt, and the one who streaked was saying he was born in Derby so will come to away games if he wants.

The guy was acting weird all first half, definitely on something. His mate lifted his top up to reveal the Liverpool shirt as the bloke was running around the pitch. Weird behaviour. Not actual Derby fans.

He started on a fella at half time, but just picked a random person for seemingly no reason. The stewards should have thrown them out then. 

I did the decent, manly thing and got as far away as possible from it ?

43 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Whether, he was through on goal, is a matter of debate, Holloway didn't think so,  Johnson did. However, for the ref to send a player off, he must be 100% sure of what happened, he didn't even know who committed the foul.

Not sure what Holloway was watching or if he made his comments before watching a replay but the player clearly was through on goal. Watch the replay and you’ll see Fozzy was, at best, level with him and still a yard away.

I can only assume the ref saw the offence but, inexplicably, lost track of who the actual offender was.

It’s irrelevant now but, IMO, the ref got it right and Holloway got it wrong.

Edited by Tamworthram

12 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

He started on a fella at half time, but just picked a random person for seemingly no reason. The stewards should have thrown them out then. 

I did the decent, manly thing and got as far away as possible from it ?

Yeah I saw that. He was doing the air guitar to the pre-match music and then just shouting at Derby fans with his arms in the air for no reason. He came to be a t*** and succeeded.

3 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Did Hartlepool have a lot of coal miners int team ? @Owd miner

At that stage, a group of miners would have had every chance of beating us. Happily, Arthur Cox was in the process of turning us around. 

It was a classic example of having to give it time. Exactly where we are now. There’s no quick answer to our problems as far as I’m concerned, irrespective of whether it’s Rosenior, Warne or anyone else. 

Looking forward to next season rather than this one?

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I know there is a good chance we have our lowest ever finish on the football pyramid, so the question is do you know our history? 

At one point last season, it looked as though we wouldn't even have a club, and knowing our history would have been all there was, because that's what we would have been - history.

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

That's not what I said it unless you ignored the words that came immediately afterwards..... 

I would disagree about your second assertion. Our last game against Wycombe under him was actually statistically our best under him but don't let facts get in your way

I don't think it's wrong to say that was a downward trend despite the final game against Wycombe (second half mainly) being a positive result & performance.

What is wrong is choosing to ignore any possible circumstances surrounding the drop-off in favour of just blaming it on Rosenior's management.

A team thrown together, a short pre-season, a couple of weeks behind everyone else fitness wise, key players not yet up to speed, a busy run of fixtures playing against some good league one sides (overall better than the ones we've faced since).

You'd be amazed if there wasn't a drop off, surely?

It was completely to be expected whoever was in charge IMO. It's not like we're gradually improving under Warne, it's very much s*** or bust so far.

Certain games get get mentioned more than others as proof of our decline, but Plymouth currently look like the best team in the league and are on a great run. Ultimately we only ended up losing due to a Cashin mistake on the half way line late in the game, but losing to them is cited as a failing on Rosenior's part.

Fleetwood have one of the best defensive records in the league, but obviously not scoring against them must again be down to Rosenior's style.

Losing to Lincoln away? Unforgivable? Ipswich lost to them at home! We lost to Ipswich away, but obviously that's just because we were unlucky to come up against such a good team, it was 'only' an individual mistake that decided it... can't blame the manager for those? Hmm.

Losing to Port Vale & Ipswich, failing to beat Exeter & Morecambe, not managing to beat the team bottom of the National League in the cup, those results and/or performances are no better (or worse, although that's arguable) than any that came at the start of the season but they come with plenty of reasons to excuse them, many of which I agree with, actually. 

I'm really not fussed about today's result or performance tbh, I don't think it should be a stick to beat Warne with. I'd offer the same understanding to any manager (unless he was clearly a p****!) I just think well done Torquay, a great day for them, but it will be different at PPS... hopefully!

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think on the whole the ref was very good today ?

I think he started well but was suckered by divers later on. But yes, we’ve seen worse. Nevertheless Dobbin being pushed in the box was at least as bad as Cashins shirt pull .. and the lad Cashin held back made a meal of it which Dobbs did not. 

2 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Games like this are never going to be a walk in the park like some people think. 

It’s what the FA Cup is all about and it’s why the TV games are picked like they are, because they know these games produce what they have today. 

Todays game doesn’t reflect on what our season is so far of where it’s going. If anything, that last minute goal will do us more good than harm. 

Not actually sure who thinks that way (walk in the park), management, players, supporters? 

The team actually applied themselves really well in the 1st half and seemed capable of winning the tie. Not comfortably perhaps, but just getting the win.  

Needlessly giving away yet another penalty was our undoing. Certainly a reflection of how things have been going in recent games. 

11 minutes ago, jono said:

I think he started well but was suckered by divers later on. But yes, we’ve seen worse. Nevertheless Dobbin being pushed in the box was at least as bad as Cashins shirt pull .. and the lad Cashin held back made a meal of it which Dobbs did not. 

He seemed to get wrapped up in the occasion after their penalty. I suspect had the Sibley boot been post penalty it would have been red, which I thought he handled very well at the time.

The 3 major decisions, he got 2 right. Several of their fks late on came from zero contact and he only seemed to encourage them!

But we got exactly what we deserved. Individual stupidity seems to be our way these last few years.

22 minutes ago, jono said:

Think the pen for us would have been very soft……Cashin tug of the shirt a clear pen so he got both decisions right I think…

Full credit to Torquay. They gave it everything, made it a really hard afternoon for us, and got the result they very much deserved.

They took every element - the small ground, the deteriorating pitch with slippery conditions, the wet and windy weather, the crowd, the officials’ decisions - bottled it up and used it as a leveller.

This was a classic example of why we love cup football. It’s not the game to dissect and ponder over or indeed to use as a stick to beat Warne with.

Those conditions would have been difficult for many a bigger team looking to avoid an upset.

Previous Derby teams would have lost that kind of game. It was the perfect recipe for an upset, whether you play possession football or otherwise.

To my mind, win the replay and what’s the fuss?