Torquay v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

5 hours ago, Foreveram said:

I was soaked right through and my phone battery was completely dead, coming out of the ground from a different direction I didn’t even know the way to the hotel. Someone pointed me in the direction of the harbour and I knew it was downhill. I walked for about three quarters of a mile and then managed to jump on a bus. 
Had a hot shower, a complete change of clothes, straight across to the pub for two pints of much needed John smiths. Then to the Chinese restaurant and a bottle of wine and then finished up with a few cocktails in the piano bar listening to a very good singer/pianist. Enjoyed the the evening more than the day.?

It was alright up to the John Smiths.

I can take travelling hundreds of miles for a shot second half, watching another tin pot set of fans celebrate at our expense, getting lost and soaked on the way to the hotel, but John Smiths? Urgh.

15 hours ago, Mrso said:

Why might we have won 4-0?  We weren't that much better than them and they already looked like scoring.

They blitzed us for the first 30 mins. On a pitch that did a lot to level the teams. Still we were 2 ahead and had the best chances.   I think they’d have tired if we’d kept 11 on the pitch    and we’d have had more goals. 

15 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Yep, there’s one other with a partially concealed poppy and the bloke with the outstretched arm has a metal badge. Can’t see any others so not pleasantly surprised though my eyes aren’t what they were (well, they were always my eyes but, you know what I mean..?

In all honesty, I spotted 5 within 10 seconds, and gave up searching at that point, so I'll concede I probably overdid it with the "pleasantly surprised" comment!  ?

Hey, I'm a big fan of poppies, but would hate to come across as one of those who try to make others feel guilty for not wearing them, or for lecturing them on when they should start wearing them, so I'll back out at this stage.  Some folk are less inclined to show their gratitude than others, and I'm also a big fan of the phrase "Each to their own"!  

LWF
xxx

??

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

What an extraordinary photo. I would suggest the ref has to be wrong to give both penalty and sending off when he isn't even in shot. How can he possibly tell what happened? Compounded by asking Forsyth if he had committed a foul!

image.png.879e869be30ab45e6980de964b5e1a57.png

8 hours ago, curb said:

It was alright up to the John Smiths.

I can take travelling hundreds of miles for a shot second half, watching another tin pot set of fans celebrate at our expense, getting lost and soaked on the way to the hotel, but John Smiths? Urgh.

Yep, we were on Tribute and Proper Job up in Babbacombe!

I wasn't going to say anything about the match as I am so late to the witch-hunt, having not had much of a phone signal in my little Devon hideaway. 

But I do think there's been some unnecessary hysteria on here over this result, mostly from people who only viewed it on TV and are therefore heavily influenced by the one-eyed narrative on ITV.

Due to the heavy rain the day before and that morning, the pitch was in a shocking state, the players warmed up in the corner in front of us and were slipping all over the place. It churned up the very corner of the pitch where Mendez-Laing makes his runs. His first run after kick-off you could hear the squish squelch with every step. I'm surprised he kept his boots on! 

The wind was swirling on and off as the showers rolled in, it was so difficult to predict, which is why Wildsmith wasn't making the halfway line with one kick to be promptly followed by a hoof into touch. He was also being abused by two of our own brain-dead fans.

People said Collins wasn't doing his job  of holding the ball, but he was being bear-hugged by their centre half all game. Likewise Dobbin and Osula, who nearly lost his shirt to a player on one occasion with no foul given. Funny how the ref missed all those but managed to 'see' Cashin's tug from fully thirty yards away and not even realising which player had committed the offence. 

I thought the Torquay crowd were fantastic, noisy and belligerent,  they definitely influenced the referee to give everything their way. 

Yet despite all that, I thought we'd been clinical enough to win the game until Cashin's unfortunate lapse of judgement. For those laying into him and suddenly calling him out as a bad player, he is in the League One team of the season, has barely put a foot wrong and has shown a responsibility for results that many senior players could learn from. There'll be no-one feeling worse about what he did than Cash himself.

The weather was at its worst after the sending off. The rain and wind were relentless, Warne took off our strongest player (no doubt thinking of tomorrow night) and didn't immediately strengthen our defensive midfield. I'm not sure it would have mattered anyway with the aerial onslaught that followed. When he did decide to act he brought on ball playing Hourihane and ratter Tommo over the head it and kick it style of Rooney - not his most astute substitutions, imo.

Even then we looked like we'd held on for the win until right at the death when the ref miraculously found that extra few seconds to allow them to create one last chance for their fairytale draw. Not good for a beleaguered Derby County squad but another win for the TV narrative. 

I thought our lads on that pitch were warriors on Sunday, and applauded every last one of them off the pitch. The invasion just before the finish was scary and the Torquay fan who squared up to Roberts right in front of us wants banning for life. Instead the BBC were putting out tweets celebrating the magic of the cup sparking pitch invasions with laughing emojis.

There is some bloody hypocrisy in football and I don't have to buy into it. You can choose for yourselves.

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

In all honesty, I spotted 5 within 10 seconds, and gave up searching at that point, so I'll concede I probably overdid it with the "pleasantly surprised" comment!  ?

Hey, I'm a big fan of poppies, but would hate to come across as one of those who try to make others feel guilty for not wearing them, or for lecturing them on when they should start wearing them, so I'll back out at this stage.  Some folk are less inclined to show their gratitude than others, and I'm also a big fan of the phrase "Each to their own"!  

LWF
xxx

??

Hope that people not wearing the poppy donate to the poppy appeal, for the monies raised go for the ex forces personel who have been injured or having hard times through mental health, injured through war or struggling to come to terms with life in civi street, these are the people who have seved your country and need your help.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I wasn't going to say anything about the match as I am so late to the witch-hunt, having not had much of a phone signal in my little Devon hideaway. 

But I do think there's been some unnecessary hysteria on here over this result, mostly from people who only viewed it on TV and are therefore heavily influenced by the one-eyed narrative on ITV.

Due to the heavy rain the day before and that morning, the pitch was in a shocking state, the players warmed up in the corner in front of us and were slipping all over the place. It churned up the very corner of the pitch where Mendez-Laing makes his runs. His first run after kick-off you could hear the squish squelch with every step. I'm surprised he kept his boots on! 

The wind was swirling on and off as the showers rolled in, it was so difficult to predict, which is why Wildsmith wasn't making the halfway line with one kick to be promptly followed by a hoof into touch. He was also being abused by two of our own brain-dead fans.

People said Collins wasn't doing his job  of holding the ball, but he was being bear-hugged by their centre half all game. Likewise Dobbin and Osula, who nearly lost his shirt to a player on one occasion with no foul given. Funny how the ref missed all those but managed to 'see' Cashin's tug from fully thirty yards away and not even realising which player had committed the offence. 

I thought the Torquay crowd were fantastic, noisy and belligerent,  they definitely influenced the referee to give everything their way. 

Yet despite all that, I thought we'd been clinical enough to win the game until Cashin's unfortunate lapse of judgement. For those laying into him and suddenly calling him out as a bad player, he is in the League One team of the season, has barely put a foot wrong and has shown a responsibility for results that many senior players could learn from. There'll be no-one feeling worse about what he did than Cash himself.

The weather was at its worst after the sending off. The rain and wind were relentless, Warne took off our strongest player (no doubt thinking of tomorrow night) and didn't immediately strengthen our defensive midfield. I'm not sure it would have mattered anyway with the aerial onslaught that followed. When he did decide to act he brought on ball playing Hourihane and ratter Tommo over the head it and kick it style of Rooney - not his most astute substitutions, imo.

Even then we looked like we'd held on for the win until right at the death when the ref miraculously found that extra few seconds to allow them to create one last chance for their fairytale draw. Not good for a beleaguered Derby County squad but another win for the TV narrative. 

I thought our lads on that pitch were warriors on Sunday, and applauded every last one of them off the pitch. The invasion just before the finish was scary and the Torquay fan who squared up to Roberts right in front of us wants banning for life. Instead the BBC were putting out tweets celebrating the magic of the cup sparking pitch invasions with laughing emojis.

There is some bloody hypocrisy in football and I don't have to buy into it. You can choose for yourselves.

Thank you so much for this write up @angieram. I was at work and after checking the score at 2-0 couldn’t check again till FT. Quite shocked naturally. Recorded the game but felt deflated so didn’t watch it. This summary is I’m sure about as accurate as I’ll read. 
I’m a big fan of PW and the lack of patience from where we were only too recently to where we are now I find astounding. 
We have our club back, wish more would appreciate how wonderful it feels, certainly to me, that we can again support Derby County without fear. A wafer thin squad and the constraints placed on the club means management will have to work exceptionally hard till January at least to keep us competitive. The support at games is outstanding and makes me very proud to support DCFC. Please give it time

13 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

Hope that people not wearing the poppy donate to the poppy appeal, for the monies raised go for the ex forces personel who have been injured or having hard times through mental health, injured through war or struggling to come to terms with life in civi street, these are the people who have seved your country and need your help.

It's a good cause to give to but its also not a good lesson from history to criticise those not wearing a badge.

It's the mentality of forcing people to wear badges that we fought against in WW2. 

Not aimed at you just a response to a few posts on this matter. 

47 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

I have given your post a "like", as I fully agree.
However, I trust your post was attached to mine merely for reference, and assume that any hint of a lecture towards me is purely down to misinterpretation on my part, as I'm fully aware of how our donations are meted out, and remain personally grateful, as a father to one of those you described.

As an aside, should anyone be in the Eagle Centre (or whatever it's called nowadays!) on Friday (11th) at 11am, please feel free to follow your silent act of remembrance by popping over to the RBL Poppy stall, and chucking any loose coppers in Muckerette's bucket!  ?  (She's on 10-12, I believe?)

Don't tell her you know me though, as she may charge you double!  ??

See you all at the NMA on Sunday!  ?

*  Sincere apologies for not knowing the precise location of the Poppy Stall, within the centre.  Sorry!  ?
**  Sincere apologies for my part in diverting a football thread off topic.  

LWF
xxx

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

However, I trust your post was attached to mine merely for reference, and assume that any hint of a lecture towards me is purely down to misinterpretation on my part, as I'm fully aware of how our donations are meted out, and remain personally grateful, as a father to one of those you described.

As an aside, should anyone be in the Eagle Centre (or whatever it's called nowadays!) on Friday (11th) at 11am, please feel free to follow your silent act of remembrance by popping over to the RBL Poppy stall, and chucking any loose coppers in Muckerette's bucket!  ?  (She's on 10-12, I believe?)

*  Sincere apologies for not knowing the precise location of the Poppy Stall, within the centre.  Sorry!  ?

LWF
xxx

I have the picture below(a lot bigger)tattooed across my back, But I don't go out shirtless so will be wearing a poppy on my lapel Sunday Morning at the Market place at 11am  

image.thumb.png.8b0d69ca3c5651642da3e7745be121b2.png

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

LWF
xxx

Mucker nothing against you,  just agreed with you post so put it up on your post, sadly our history is not being taught in schools, how any woke can put Lord Nelson down, for his service to the country that cost him his life, yet the victory at Trafalgar kept Britain free for 100 years without war, these wokes may not be here if we had lost that battle, my view bring back a form of National Service!!!

23 hours ago, angieram said:

You can criticise when you can be bothered to get out of your armchair.

600 of us made the effort and age is hardly relevant. 

I think anyone who made the trip to Torquay should get a free ticket to the replay at home . We will be lucky to fill the East stand as it is.

7 hours ago, angieram said:

Spot on Angie, yes us at the game got a totally different view to those at home , ive also kept quiet as the over the top comments from some were making my blood boil

26 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I think anyone who made the trip to Torquay should get a free ticket to the replay at home . We will be lucky to fill the East stand as it is.

I agree but I don’t think the club would be allowed to without incurring a cost given, I believe, gate receipts are shared evenly. 

29 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Spot on Angie, yes us at the game got a totally different view to those at home , ive also kept quiet as the over the top comments from some were making my blood boil

Yes, a massive overreaction.

We were standing a few rows back in the terrace. The weather was awful and got worse as the game went on. The pitch was awful and got worse as the game wore on.

The conditions were a world away from the comforts of Pride Park and honestly more suitable for wellington boots than football boots.

Torquay’s players relished those conditions because they had nothing to lose and they knew the conditions would level things up and be favourable to them.

It was a tough, back and forth, well contested cup tie in difficult conditions. It was far from a disgrace.

In 2011, we were knocked out of the FA Cup by non-league Crawley Town and at the time we were a mid-table Championship side. Now that was a disgrace!