Torquay v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

4 hours ago, Jayram said:

And yet a club in the league above us have given LR a job and he’s got a point away at Millwall in his first game while we have drawn with a non league team rock bottom of their league. Yeah Rosenior is s*** compared to Warne…

And our away form under Rosenior ( and Rooney) was how good exactly?

5 hours ago, DiggerB said:

"See if you can slip over more than Cash"

Ah yes we had so many other options on the bench. There's a reason we are having to rely on youngsters who should be given time to develop properly rather than be shoved on today to perform miracles and that's a certain Mel Morris

24 hours later to gather my thoughts....

Yes, he shouldn't have been sent off, but there again why pull him down when there was cover?

Yes, we scored two fabulous goals but overall it was a non league side that made us look very poor.

That 90 minute performance was awful- we do need to improve a hell of a lot if we think we are capable of promotion this season.

8 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Think the pen for us would have been very soft……Cashin tug of the shirt a clear pen so he got both decisions right I think…

I think both pen appeals could be defined as soft. Dobbs would have been lucky to score but he was clearly fouled with an indisputable shove. Cash did pull his shirt which is a foul without doubt, but their player had effectively won the battle but chose to go down to make sure. But it’s our own stupid fault and a ref has to make a decision in a milli second. 

12 minutes ago, Charliegeorge1962 said:

24 hours later to gather my thoughts....

Yes, he shouldn't have been sent off, but there again why pull him down when there was cover?

Yes, we scored two fabulous goals but overall it was a non league side that made us look very poor.

That 90 minute performance was awful- we do need to improve a hell of a lot if we think we are capable of promotion this season.

We were poor after the sending off, but at 2-0 we were doing OK, even if we weren't entirely in control. The ref had clearly got an earbashing at HT from Johnson and, whilst the penalty and sending off were justified under the rules, his response then and for the rest of the game was completely at odds with his first half performance, a sure sign that a ref has been nobbled by the opposition manager. Some of his 2nd half decisions were clearly wrong. It all helped to knock us off kilter and Torquay successfully turned it into siege aided by the knowledge that they were going to get the bulk of the decisions. The officials basically lost their impartiality. 

Just watched Paul Wayne’s post-match interview.

Blimey, I hope he can get himself up for Wednesday let alone the players.

He looked abject and lost for answers.

The players lost their way yesterday. He has to pick them back up and find a way of defending that everyone understands.

Stearman turning his back then playing three forwards onside is unacceptable and to be fair, not like him.

We seem to have lost the spirit and drive in the team. Morecambe and now Torquay have returned us to the away team we used to be.

I’m just hoping it was the one bad performance of this week or we’re in for some hidings.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Just watched Paul Wayne’s post-match interview.

Blimey, I hope he can get himself up for Wednesday let alone the players.

He looked abject and lost for answers.

The players lost their way yesterday. He has to pick them back up and find a way of defending that everyone understands.

Stearman turning his back then playing three forwards onside is unacceptable and to be fair, not like him.

We seem to have lost the spirit and drive in the team. Morecambe and now Torquay have returned us to the away team we used to be.

I’m just hoping it was the one bad performance of this week or we’re in for some hidings.

We might have won 0-4 but for the sending off. Horrible pitch. So not that bad. But personnel changes needed in Jan - some of these players are not at their best trying to play the way he wants. Especially in midfield 

10 hours ago, jono said:

I think he started well but was suckered by divers later on. But yes, we’ve seen worse. Nevertheless Dobbin being pushed in the box was at least as bad as Cashins shirt pull .. and the lad Cashin held back made a meal of it which Dobbs did not. 

Just an observation nowt else, Dobbin couldn't have made owt else with the shove, Other than crashing into the boards, The shirt pull is now a tactic to put on an ice skating show.

I said in an earlier post that VAR would have given a penalty for that, Very similar incident Spurs Vs Liverpool, Slight shoulder in the back/side on the player...VAR no pen.

Theatrics or whatever now are being sussed out by whoever is the Ref or VAR Ref ?‍♀️

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

We might have won 0-4 but for the sending off. Horrible pitch. So not that bad. But personnel changes needed in Jan - some of these players are not at their best trying to play the way he wants. Especially in midfield 

Why might we have won 4-0?  We weren't that much better than them and they already looked like scoring.  But I think the post you're replying to was more about the manager's apparent post-game mindset which appeared more disheartened than most of the fans.  He needs to lead the club out of setbacks, not seem like the one most affected by them (even if he is). 

23 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We seem to have lost the spirit and drive in the team. Morecambe and now Torquay have returned us to the away team we used to be

Not really we missed 2 pens and a player stupidly got himself sent off if the players had managed the situations better we'd be getting carried away with how great everything is. 

18 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Agreed on the result.

Regarding personnel, I think it's clear we don't have the players for the level of football we're at. I recall saying about Lee Hendrie quite a few years ago that the lower he went, the more he would struggle - As players age, they lose pace and strength which is precisely what you really need lower down the ladder, I think Hourihane is today's Hendrie....

12 hours ago, ram59 said:

There's probably a good chance of the replay being on TV, which will be worth as much as quite an extra few thousand fans going to the game, plus extra revenue from pitch side advertising.

Torquay are dreaming of a big pay-day to come at PP. They could arrive to find only one stand open , like the Grimsby game.We only sold half our away allocation and if it it on telly again , who’s going to want to get out of their armchairs on a cold night to see Torquay?

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Jeez, looking at that crowd shot I think Saga Derby County Supporters Club took a few coaches. Fair play too em.

We might be old and decrepit (I’m on the front row) but the majority of the people in the photo manage to get our backsides out of the armchair to follow Derby home and away anywhere in the country. Yourself?