Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Wildsmith

Knight Davies Cashin Forsyth

Bird Hourihane

Mendez-Laing Sibley Dobbin

Collins

No slight on Roberts, who I think has made a very composed start to his Derby career, but Forsyth impressed me going forward against Mansfield and offers more of an aerial outlet when distributing out the back - I’d like to see him given a chance in the League. Smith has struggled to make much of an impact in the more advanced midfield role (he is definitely more defensive minded), and Sibley has been banging on the door with his substitute appearances, so he to finally get his start here. Think Barkhuizen is struggling (in the league at least) to have much influence from the less familiar left side, and Dobbin looks a real exciting prospect based on what I’ve seen of him so far, so I’d like to see how he does from the start in a league game.

6 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Thanks for a morning chuckle. It's not often I laugh out loud in the coffee shop. ?

Quite a lot of it is true. What I omitted was that in all the excitement leaving his flat the silly fool forgot his hat so by the end of the day he had really bad sunburn 

23 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

It’s gonna be hot. Very hot. All the subs will be used. Could be very uncomfortable in the east stand lower. I wonder if the league has considered postponing some games because of the extreme heat?

I was thinking that…take a pan and some sausages they’ll be ready by half time. Thought the club were a bit thoughtless for the Hertha Berlin game not using the West stand the East lower was painfully hot. Fortunately high up in the North tomorrow so should be ok.

46 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

It’s gonna be hot. Very hot. All the subs will be used. Could be very uncomfortable in the east stand lower. I wonder if the league has considered postponing some games because of the extreme heat?

I'm pretty sure that this option has/is being discussed.

52 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Postpone games? Please no. It's called summer. It's part of the test of fitness and skill to be able to adapt to different conditions. Given it will be warm, we will attempt to keep the ball and force Barnsley to chase around, wearing them out more quickly because of the heat. And then we pounce. 

It's also a tactical test for the managers in terms of when to deploy their substitutes to greatest effect. 

I expect there will be a drinks break midway through each half and players will be able to take on fluids as and when. 

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I wonder what's going on at Barnsley - their fans seem to have given up for the most part? Struggling to get fans to go an hour or so down the road for a relatively big game seems quite poor especially as they're usually well supported when they come here from memory. 

They must be worried about the expected heat on Saturday. They will be like Barnsley Chops on a spit roast in the East Stand.Could do with the sprinkler system giving the fans over there a nice shower every 10 minutes or so. Tartan blankets still available for the West stand.

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

That can go alongside having to play all winter games at 12-00 lunchtime every Saturday so clubs don’t have to turn on the floodlights to save electricity!

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Wildsmith

Knight Davies Cashin Forsyth

Bird Hourihane

Mendez-Laing Sibley Dobbin

Collins

No slight on Roberts, who I think has made a very composed start to his Derby career, but Forsyth impressed me going forward against Mansfield and offers more of an aerial outlet when distributing out the back - I’d like to see him given a chance in the League. Smith has struggled to make much of an impact in the more advanced midfield role (he is definitely more defensive minded), and Sibley has been banging on the door with his substitute appearances, so he to finally get his start here. Think Barkhuizen is struggling (in the league at least) to have much influence from the less familiar left side, and Dobbin looks a real exciting prospect based on what I’ve seen of him so far, so I’d like to see how he does from the start in a league game.

I rate Roberts more as a LB than a CD but i am surprised that he’s not been considered as a stopgap RB. He’s good defensively, decent in the air and looks to be reasonably two footed.

Seen a few right footed left backs in my years supporting DCFC.

5 hours ago, chadlad said:

I rate Roberts more as a LB than a CD but i am surprised that he’s not been considered as a stopgap RB. He’s good defensively, decent in the air and looks to be reasonably two footed.

Seen a few right footed left backs in my years supporting DCFC.

I still think Roberts best position is at CB as things stand, he’s still got a tendency to drift into his more natural central position when defending at full back. That’s to be expected though - Rosenior clearly wants to convert him to a LB (possibly Brighton do as well hence why the move was agreed), so hopefully he should get more used to it over time. He’s certainly got the ability on the ball to play out there, and his lack of height is less of an issue out wide as well, compared to at CB. My only real concern is a bit of a lack of pace, but let’s be fair, Forsyth doesn’t exactly have much either these days, so it might not be an issue.

Don’t want him on the right side though. There’s the odd exception out there, but in my time watching football, I’ve very rarely known a defender switch sides successfully. A left footer should stay on the left in my view, I think he’d be very uncomfortable at RB. Granted, we’re currently playing Knight there, which is huge wasteful. We really need a senior RB ASAP.

Edited by Millenniumram

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Postpone games? Please no. It's called summer. It's part of the test of fitness and skill to be able to adapt to different conditions. Given it will be warm, we will attempt to keep the ball and force Barnsley to chase around, wearing them out more quickly because of the heat. And then we pounce. 

It's also a tactical test for the managers in terms of when to deploy their substitutes to greatest effect. 

I expect there will be a drinks break midway through each half and players will be able to take on fluids as and when. 

It's as much an issue for spectators as it is for the players, who at least will be getting plenty of hydration. I expect St John's Ambulance personnel will be quite busy. 

And it's not Summer as we know it, hence the Government health warnings. 

Edited by Crewton

18 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I wonder what's going on at Barnsley - their fans seem to have given up for the most part? Struggling to get fans to go an hour or so down the road for a relatively big game seems quite poor especially as they're usually well supported when they come here from memory. 

They haven't won away in the league since April 2021

33 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It's as much an issue for spectators as it is for the players, who at least will be getting plenty of hydration. I expect St John's Ambulance personnel will be quite busy. 

And it's not Summer as we know it, hence the Government health warnings. 

Yes. This was my original worry. Not for the players particularly but those fans in direct sun. I doubt that any medical professional would say it’s a good idea to sit in direct sunlight at a potential 31 degrees for a couple of hours. Especially for children and the elderly. 

59 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Yes. This was my original worry. Not for the players particularly but those fans in direct sun. I doubt that any medical professional would say it’s a good idea to sit in direct sunlight at a potential 31 degrees for a couple of hours. Especially for children and the elderly. 

I hope we can rely on common sense amongst those who may be more susceptible to the heat rather than have to dictate to people what they can and can't do in the sun.

Some sun cream,a hat,drinks and some sunglasses surely aren't beyond the wit of modern man.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong