Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

22 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

There’s a chance sibley will really benefit from our relegation. A season at a slightly slower pace, he might really come on so he can shine at a higher level. (My son said wryly when he scored that hat trick  - that might be the worse thing that ever happens to him ... )

Couldn't agree more mate.

I worried for him last season. Couldn't see where he fit in the system we played at all. Also through pre season he showed a bit of petulance in some games and giving away needless fouls.

But I'm hoping he gets a run in the team for the next few games.

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Couldn't agree more mate.

I worried for him last season. Couldn't see where he fit in the system we played at all. Also through pre season he showed a bit of petulance in some games and giving away needless fouls.

But I'm hoping he gets a run in the team for the next few games.

Let’s hope he improves us then. 

PS We have other players who also deserve chances as well

Edited by Curtains
Added

Well here’s my 18 for Saturday, going to be some disappointed lads.

Wildsmith, Loach, Knight, Davies, Cashin, Forsyth, Roberts, Rooney, Hourihane, Sibley, Smith, Bird, Thompson, Barkhuizen, Collins, McGoldrick, Mendez-Laing, Dobbin,

Most talented match day squad in the league…………..it’s all down to you now Liam. ??

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

went to the cricket last time it was really hot. My mate soaked his y fronts in water, put them in the freezer overnight, then put them on under his shorts before we left for the game. Tip he got from women’s hour but the water was his idea. He said at first they were rigid so a bit scratchy - he blamed his shoes but he was walking oddly plus he said his willy was numb. Then they quickly got soggy. He claimed it was a brilliant idea but as they melted if looked from the front like he’d peed himself, worse from the back and at one stage it looked like the security guys on the gate weren’t going to let him in . He’s still walking pretty strangely and has some sort of fungal rash.
Anyway you could give that a go ?

Thanks for a morning chuckle. It's not often I laugh out loud in the coffee shop. ?

I’m going to miss this ?. Going to see an old friend in Burnley which will be nice but I get the feeling that a good result in this game will set us on a good road. Barnsley will be up for it and confident after last night. A win would be a marker. (So would Collins getting off the mark) hope McG gets on the bench and half an hour to sharpen up.

Up the Rams, I’ll be there in spirit and counting on DCFCFans to keep me updated ?

I’d like to see 

Wildsmith

Knight      Davies        Cashin       Roberts

Bird            Hourihane

NML                Sibbo                Dobbin

Collins

I think Sibbo deserves to start and also Dobbin deserves a start. Barkhuizen coming off the bench for him at some point

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Folk seem keen to play Smith at RB, but as far as I can see, he's only played 18 times in that position, and never more than 5 times in a season. He's not exactly made the position his own, and currently doesn't seem to have the energy required to play there for 90 minutes. 

I can understand the eagerness to see Knight play in his best position, but we need to be careful that we aren't just moving the problem around. 

The thing is, it’s because Smith has played there before. Knight, before this season, has been a versatile young player who has played predominantly in the centre of the park or wide right. He hasn’t been a right back at any point. He’s such a good player with all the attributes to shine at a number of positions, so he’s held his own at tight back. But he would be better in his main positions.

I’m not sure playing Smith there is the answer, but neither is Knight long term (as it wastes him there). Need a first team RB and then neither have to play there (hopefully)

2 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Need a first team RB and then neither have to play there (hopefully)

We all know this and LR has made it clear that he does too. But making RB a weak point in the team is no solution either. Of course, this is all Byrne's fault, the greedy little *#*#*

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

We all know this and LR has made it clear that he does too. But making RB a weak point in the team is no solution either. Of course, this is all Byrne's fault, the greedy little *#*#*

Can’t be sure Smith would be worse there though. Plus it would free up Knight to play further up the pitch. Knight playing there is fine for the temporary though. 

I wonder what's going on at Barnsley - their fans seem to have given up for the most part? Struggling to get fans to go an hour or so down the road for a relatively big game seems quite poor especially as they're usually well supported when they come here from memory. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I wonder what's going on at Barnsley - their fans seem to have given up for the most part? Struggling to get fans to go an hour or so down the road for a relatively big game seems quite poor especially as they're usually well supported when they come here from memory. 

Still can't believe they were in the playoffs the season before last

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Yes, I read on Monday that they had only sold 800 tickets & were only expecting about 1,500 by matchday.