Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Before we all swoon at the thought of going outside in the sunshine, remember what made England great:

<iframe width="1097" height="617" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XwvkbxGC_eQ" title="Noel Coward "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" LYRICS HERE great comic song 1932" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just now, Grimbeard said:

Before we all swoon at the thought of going outside in the sunshine, remember what made England great:

<iframe width="1097" height="617" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XwvkbxGC_eQ" title="Noel Coward "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" LYRICS HERE great comic song 1932" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oops. That went a bit wrong. I'll get back to you.

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

We've got stopped from taking them into West Stand - both over 65 but obviously look a bit dodgy.... ?

Yet we can take a flask in. 

I know which one would hurt more if I decided to fling it in the direction of the fourth official. ?‍♀️

I never had my drink or drinks take off me ever at pp.

Muckerette had to take her (water) bottle top off as we entered Old Trafford for the cup semi under young Nigel. 
when was that, 2009?

Think they did it at Wembley v Villa (serving the bottle in the concourse) if I recall?

that’s my limited first hand experience of such a silly rule. 

…Although someone on here made a good point the other day, as by removing the top, any bottle thrown us unlikely to be full and weighty by the time it hits the target.
I guess it’s more that, than merely using the bottle top itself as a missile? ?‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Muckerette had to take her (water) bottle top off as we entered Old Trafford for the cup semi under young Nigel. 
when was that, 2009?

Think they did it at Wembley v Villa (serving the bottle in the concourse) if I recall?

that’s my limited first hand experience of such a silly rule. 

…Although someone on here made a good point the other day, as by removing the top, any bottle thrown us unlikely to be full and weighty by the time it hits the target.
I guess it’s more that, than merely using the bottle top itself as a missile? ?‍♂️

That's the reasoning, but the reality is: with the bottle spinning through the air, the centrifugal forces result in no liquid coming out.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

We've got stopped from taking them into West Stand - both over 65 but obviously look a bit dodgy.... ?

I know which one would hurt more if I decided to fling it in the direction of the fourth official. ?‍♀️

I think what would hurt us all more @angieram is thinking that you could behave in such a manner.

I do not believe it for a second. I would even be surprised if you uttered a cross word under your breath.

Edited by IslandExile

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's the reasoning, but the reality is: with the bottle spinning through the air, the centrifugal forces result in no liquid coming out.

And it's not used bottled water... I think those same centrifugal forces apply to plastic pint pots full of urine dropped vertically in West Bridgeford too!  ?

9 hours ago, angieram said:

I know it’s stating the obvious but the theory is your much less likely to throw your cherished Fortnum and Mason luxury flask than you are a recyclable plastic bottle of Lidl’s own cola.

21 hours ago, Sparkle said:

The train services are actually in the private sector so that they can make a profit ! With the UK tax payer supporting them massively, which is all bonkers if you ask me - if services are essential then the nation should own and control them just like the current energy sector debacle 

Of course everyone knows strikes don’t happen in state run industries. 

10 hours ago, angieram said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way. But those guys on the gates have a lot of discretion. I’m sure that before letting you in he asked himself: “hmmm, well how far do I reckon she could chuck that flask?”

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

I presume you all know to freeze your bottle of water beforehand? Then it melts gradually over the afternoon and you have ice cold water for much longer. 

Yes. Fill it right to the very top, so there's no air in it when you put the lid on before putting it on fast freeze ?

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I usually buy a bottle of Fanta from the concourse kiosk at half time. Protection of revenue rather than people, I suspect.

11 hours ago, angieram said:

Me and my wife had our flasks confiscated years ago at the BBG ?

39 minutes ago, angieram said:

I presume you all know to freeze your bottle of water beforehand? Then it melts gradually over the afternoon and you have ice cold water for much longer. 

Christ...giving tips on how to create solid blocks of ice to chuck at the players now!

But yeh, means with the lid off they don't lose volume or velocity...

Good tip !

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But, only when less than half full, if spinning about it's central point, when full.

Edited by ram59
Clarity