Matchday Thread - Charlton Athletic v Derby County (06/08 15:00)

Sean

Can't have that many chances and not finish at least 3.  Collins played well but a bloke with 13 years football in his legs can't do that for more than an hour so need to think about that one.  We are going to struggle at corners without more height.  Sometimes a manager needs to accept he's made an error like Rosenior did switching wide men, they were dead in the water to that point and we should have changed back immediately. Barkhuisen is not a natural winger. Smith and Bird are too similar as players and we need more energy in there. That should have been a win by at least 3 goals. The strikers in this league are very average, so if we get 2 in any game we win.   

Can't believe we lost that game to a very poor side IMO

yes we should've been out of sight by HT but second half we started poorly and let them get into the game

I did'nt understand why Hourihane ended up on the left until Fozzy came on and why NML didn't switch to that side with 20 to go...it feels like we've been league oned !! because they were not good yet got 3 points.

Great support today except the clown during the minute's applause .....but we need to learn quickly

Big miss by  Knight with his header and although Cashin did well did get caught a couple of times with pace 

We will hopefully push on from this ....I personally feel that we need a midfield enforcer who's going to enable Hourihane the time to play because he is a quality player.....COYR

3 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Felt like Charlton turned the tide by simply pressing and upping their work rate which is a tad worrying 

Thought they sussed out that we had a leftback playing in midfield and a rightback who was really a midfielder, we were ripe for them to chase long balls on the break too.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The parallels between this season and last in terms of failing to take out chances despite a almost complete transformation in personel is striking.

We were on 1 point at this stage last season.  We current have 3x that many.
Last season looked like being a long motorway trip... tedious, tiring, and the destination never in doubt... as it turned out, we took an interesting diversion along a long and winding country road, with lots of lovely scenery.  Admittedly, the destination never changed, but it took us longer to get there, and it was far less tedious.

This season, we have just pulled the car off the drive, and have absolutely no idea where we are heading.  In fact, we aren't even sat in the car ready to go yet, as we've just got out again to shut the drive gates!

There are no parallels as yet.  We even have a different driver, and a different car.  As you rightly point out, even most of the passengers have changed.  It might even be a really fun trip this time.
It is certainly too early to compare the two journeys.  Come back when we are half way there, and have to pull in for a slash.
We might... only might, mind... then have an idea whether we are taking the same route, or even heading for the same destination.

#liam&davidsmysterytour

?

24 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

We were on 1 point at this stage last season.  We current have 3x that many.
Last season looked like being a long motorway trip... tedious, tiring, and the destination never in doubt... as it turned out, we took an interesting diversion along a long and winding country road, with lots of lovely scenery.  Admittedly, the destination never changed, but it took us longer to get there, and it was far less tedious.

This season, we have just pulled the car off the drive, and have absolutely no idea where we are heading.  In fact, we aren't even sat in the car ready to go yet, as we've just got out again to shut the drive gates!

There are no parallels as yet.  We even have a different driver, and a different car.  As you rightly point out, even most of the passengers have changed.  It might even be a really fun trip this time.
It is certainly too early to compare the two journeys.  Come back when we are half way there, and have to pull in for a slash.
We might... only might, mind... then have an idea whether we are taking the same route, or even heading for the same destination.

#liam&davidsmysterytour

?

Was you watching the match or top gear?

An earlier comment of mine appears to have been removed, I assume for calling out some ludicrously knee jerk reactions.  Anyway I’ll try again for what it’s worth ……

Our season won’t be defined by this result, or even a couple more disappointing results - which will undoubtedly come.  There’ll be ups and down throughout the season and we need to remember where we were a few weeks ago, and how quickly we are trying to turn things around with a new manager & new players.  

Good performance today. More promising than a flukey, undeserved win.

Their keeper seemed to make some great saves in first half. Though Collins had a great shot when he hit the post. Knight's chance was obviously easy. Sort of unlucky to lose, but our fault for missing chances. Thing could have dropped for us a bit kinder though. Two really promising performances.

Great support today too. Was near the front and side, so didn't realiae we filled the whole end! Great noise too.

2 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Why would I need to when for the 90th time I didn't mention how many chances we created last season read for god sake , I said GOALS you know them things where the ball goes in the net? We didn't do it last year or the year before or the year before and haven't looked like doing it in the 2 games so far other than one moment of magic from hourihane , if you mention chances created again I'm going to headbutt my greenhouse

I think you need to call nurse for some more tablets, It is OK for people (most people) to disagree with the points you are trying to make. Why is it so important for you? Have a nice glass of milk and a chocolate digestive, you will feel much calmer.

ps. It was good that we created so many chances, shame that the players that they fell to fluffed their lines. x

1 hour ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I've said it before, but I'm still not convinced with a 4 2 3 1 formation. There are 7 defensive players on the pitch and we struggled under cocu, Rooney for goals.

I think Collins needs a goal for his confidence then it will come for him. I wonder if two up top with Collins and mcgoldrick would work?

He needs a player a lot closer to him, iv said it a million times but two holding midfielders is overkill and limits attacking options

bird … and previous holding mids before him at this club look twice the player when theres two runners (think bryson and hendrick) to play off or look for than having a second body sat alongside them.

two deep just encourages side to side pointless passing with little penetration and more importantly options ahead or bodies arriving in the box.

i think we’ll look a lot lot better if we can get knight in midfield perhaps with CH in a two ahead of bird 

Theres a time and a place for a two but when ur dominating the opposition like we can at this level we can allow ourselves to be a little more expansive imo

3 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

My point is valid but being turned into another subject by the ever happy rose tinted members , even though we didn't create much last year and the year before and so on we still had Atleast a few clear chances to grab a goal and didn't,  that is down to finishing,  bringing me back to My original point of do the players actually practise finishing , and if they do it is only 1v1 against the goalkeeper and not in an actual game scenario because they clearly can't do on the pitch what they do in training in terms of scoring goals as has been the case for atleast a few years even with Manchester Uniteds leading top goalscorer they were still wasteful in front of goal 

I wouldn't say we were any more wasteful in front of goal than other teams. It was just felt that way because we created very few chances. And if we didn't score one then we'd end up shipping a goal at the other end. 

Today we created a lot of chances but were wasteful. You can't miss those chances and get away with it. But that's football, it happens. It happens to the best teams sometimes.

This is a new team and it's only the second game. You're looking for something that isn't there. But if this is the case 2 months down the line then you may have an argument.