Matchday Thread - Derby County v Oxford United (30/07 15:00)

Sean

Really enjoyed today and it’s good to be back.  With 7 debuts and a short pre-season I was quite surprised how well we played.  There were occasions where you could tell they hadn’t played many games together but not many. Other than the first 15mins or so of the 2nd half we were in control.  Cracking goal by Hourihane, he has the ability to make a difference at this level.  Both wide men always looked to go forward rather than stopping and going back.  We really need to get the ball out to Barkhuizen more.  There was only 2 or 3 times he had the ball in dangerous areas and he put some good balls into the box.

Great to be at PP today, great result and a feel good factor....just 1 thing, the allez allez chant, what are the words to it now, coz it was being sang differently by everyone ? the bounce after the goal was the best bounce I've heard and seen for a while, I was in the north stand and watching the South stand doing it was class

Edited by BriggRam

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Until it goes very much against us I don’t mind it overall I don’t think. Some tougher challenges going in and that, shirts pulls etc but aslong as it’s the same for everyone and we can do the same then that’s fine by me. We know the standard won’t be brilliant, but it’s all part of the game to me.

As I said on my first post, as long as the players are protecting each other and by extension the referee is looking out for those loose challenges, then I’m ok with a more industrial game.

I’m with you on that. The ref missed stuff from both sides, was at times inconsistent but he was equally inconsistent with both teams. The only one that really got me was the GBH on Collins.

Anyway, what a day ! Canal street packed, ended up on some double yellows but got away with it. Queue to get in, some of the concourse vendors ran out of plastic Carling. PPS loud and proud. 

Adrenaline fuelled first 15 mins the NML burning rubber, looked like we could run riot until we got close to goal. A couple of high crosses that well positioned Collins just couldn’t quite reach. Then Knighty and NML doing wonderful overlaps and interplay. Oxford rode the storm and were getting in to it at times. They came out in the second half with their own up and at em spirit but we kept to our plan, kept playing football, class will out. The invisible for 65 mins Hourihan dropped a shoulder and buried it. Sibley started the rot with some driving runs and played provider. Cashin who was under the cosh occasionally in the first half, became imperious. Deep in to injury time, class control rather than lump, then a 1 yard pass to a white shirt. Sweet. Knight can play anywhere, know it’s not long term but my lasting memory is him and NML doing aggressive tippy tappy and quite simply looking a cut above.

Need a no 10 / AM to give runners and Collins at bit more to feed off and all will be well. 

Cracking competitive match, which wasn’t a walkover but we deserved to win. 

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

I hope so, just so I can use the word "harangue" more often.

Anyone ever used that word outside of a football context?

So what you are basically saying is bring back haranguing!

I think you are about 2 weeks ahead of the game there. I'm expecting a desperate man to propose that very soon.

50 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Great to be at PP today, great result and a feel good factor....just 1 thing, the allez allez chant, what are the words to it now, coz it was being sang differently by everyone ? the bounce after the goal was the best bounce I've heard and seen for a while, I was in the north stand and watching the South stand doing it was class

There's 3 or 4 different versions all  being sung at once  ?  I don't know why people haven't just changed the "staying up" to "going up" and the chant is otherwise exactly what it already was?! ?‍♂️

What a day. Shocking traffic to and from Derby but totally worth it. Felt emotional when Steve Bloomer's watching came on which is odd as not that mad on it! 
Team played far better together than expected. Few teething issues but generally seems better balance and bit tougher on the ball. NML and Knight linked brilliantly (and just love NML's shoulders!), Bird was given a tough game but played well but most pleased for Louie Sibley who was a result changer today. 

Finally was really watching Liam on the touchline and very impressed with how he was trying to get them to play forwards with energy and positive runs. Good energy from him. Nice touch going right round the pitch at the end too to thank all fans

9 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Enjoyed that game, Beers before the game and beers after the game, That's what Saturdays are for for me, Sat 5 seats away from Amanda Solloway MP, She wanted her picture with me but I declined ?

1st 20 mins it was our game, Then nip n tuck, 2nd half we played more forward, Could/should have scored before we did, I can only see us getting better, Officials were decent...ish, This is league 1, Tackles were flying, He let some go but pulled up others that were...meh.

All in all we were the better team, Wildsmith not a lot to do, Back 4 protected him, Smith Laing is going to be a hand full, Well done Sibley for your harassing to get the ball for us to score, I'll sleep well tonight...happy days.

COYRs. 

All these new names and faces are confusing enough!  Please don't exacerbate the problem by getting player's names wrong... especially double-barrelled names!  ?

??

Thoughts from yesterday.

Felt incredibly tense before the game and that took away a little from the delight at being back.

I thought the team played with a similar spirit to last year, even though the personnel was hugely different. It was obvious that we were a bit clunky as players get used to each other and playing in different positions but I could see what they were trying to do and there wasn’t anyone yesterday that I thought played poorly or that wouldn’t contribute to the cause this season.

Knight and NML terrorised Oxford in the first half but were largely blunted as a pair in the second. Mendez Laing was my MOM.

Knight played well but is wasted at FB. We need him in midfield where we were overpowered. We put in very few telling tackles and we can’t afford to do that this year. I can see why we’re looking at another CM and would love Dale Stephens here. We will struggle away from home unless we have more defensive CM options.

I thought Collins battled well and ran his socks off but he badly needs a goal and a bit more central support. When Sibley came on he got that. Thought LS played okay (not so keen on the shenanigans after the final whistle) and he showed the importance of a central player who runs at the opposition. This is another area where we need strengthening. A quicker forward.

I can see why we play the sideways, backwards Chuckle Brothers routine to draw the opposition but this looks too robotic and overdone. We have two exciting wide players and poor Barkhuisen had little to work with in the first half. In the second he showed how valuable he can be.

Looking at the squad, I’m still struggling to see where a lot of goals are coming from but I can also see a strong squad emerging and there’s a lot of quality.

And finally, when the ball came to Hourihane on that left foot I just knew where it would end up. That was glorious!

Edited by Anag Ram
Typo

1 hour ago, Rambam said:

I wonder if the lack of segregation sections is here to stay. It looks great. Much better, and increases the capacity. Of course it could be inviting trouble. 

I noticed the lack of covered seats when I first came into view.  It worked today (or seemed to from the NE Corner, where I sit?‍♂️) so fingers crossed it's here to stay.

Any comments from anyone a little closer to the action?  

12 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Considering that team has been cobbled together in a rush in six weeks that was alright. 

If Oxford are what passes for playoff contenders this season then we'll be fine.

I thought Oxford were tidy, defence was decent but no cutting edge up front. They will improve and other teams will have better players up front. I just hope the rough stuff that was handed out isn’t indicative of L1 otherwise we are going t0 have some serious injuries. The Oxford player who had a go at Bird should have been sent off. Lots of off the ball stuff and the amount of holding in the penalty area was ridiculous 

for me we had a decent start and will improve and need to improve, judging by the first match we will get a few injuries and suspensions so need more players.

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I can't see there was 8 mins injury time. They should have 2 yellows for exactly the same one Collins did as a bit of retribution. Wasn't impressed.

Oxford getting yellow cards for the same offence for which Collins got booked for would require no contact from the Oxford player and the Derby player pulling off a superb swan dive. I suspect that at least part of Oxford’s training ground is filled with water.

9 hours ago, Carnero said:

There's 3 or 4 different versions all  being sung at once  ?  I don't know why people haven't just changed the "staying up" to "going up" and the chant is otherwise exactly what it already was?! ?‍♂️

Think it should be…

…We are Derby County, and we are still a club