Matchday Thread - Derby County v Oxford United (30/07 15:00)

Sean

51 minutes ago, Rample said:

There were a couple of sub par performances but you could see already what the new players have mentally. Heads didn't drop when we were struggling and even those players got back into the game. 

Really good win given our short preseason. If we can pick up points whilst still getting upto fitness and with players bedding in it bodes well. I feel we're going to have to get through a number of scrappy games this season.

Agree massively with the point in bold, there were several points where Hourihane, NML and Collins set the right example and tone, which is reassuring having lost the presence of Kazim. It’s clear the noise made about “character” when it came to recruitment was spot on. Also as another poster mentioned the maturity and level heads shown by the younger lads was spot on, Bird, Knight, Cashin, Roberts, Sibley and Thompson all showed a good level of composure in their performances. 
“Grinding” out a 1-0 win on the opening day will do wonders for the team spirit, playing together in a competitive match will speed up the combinations within the side. It’s a great foundation to build on for sure ? 

EDIT - Also a big shout out to Wildsmith. Clean sheet on debut, made a few decent saves, a number of people raised concerns about him maybe not being right as first choice but he did his job well enough today.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Agree with what has been said about the shocking officiating. Even basic things like placing the free kick for the offside where the Lino put his flag up instead of where the last man was - bizarre. Must say though, not seen a team surround the ref like that since Roy Keane was still playing. Is that standard stuff in this league?

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Agree with what has been said about the shocking officiating. Even basic things like placing the free kick for the offside where the Lino put his flag up instead of where the last man was - bizarre. Must say though, not seen a team surround the ref like that since Roy Keane was still playing. Is that standard stuff in this league?

I hope so, just so I can use the word "harangue" more often.

Anyone ever used that word outside of a football context?

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Woeful.  Smith flat out and play goes on for 2 minutes and they get a corner, 4 mins magically appeared of extra injury time.  Should have at least 4 yellows .

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Atmosphere was pretty poor ubtik they thought they could start kick & bully us...little did they know that not only will our players hold their own, but it will also rile us fans up who ended up making some noise. That resulted in us taking control of the game, the team had more energy in their press and the goal eventually came.

Perhaps we depend on the South stand too much to get the atmosphere warmed up.Anyway I’m blaming the drummer.Oxford made a big mistake by putting a man on Bird and letting Connor roam free.

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Woeful.  Smith flat out and play goes on for 2 minutes and they get a corner, 4 mins magically appeared of extra injury time.  Should have at least 4 yellows .

We played on with Smith down and injury time was actually correct for once. Not saying the officials were good, but don't think we were unfairly treated. Could have been a red for the foul on Bird, but equally Hourihane could have got a second yellow. Sibley came on and got fouled clearly in front of the lino but wasn't given, Mendez-Laing did the same foul about 15 minutes later and no foul.

Edited by ben_dcfc

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Get used to it.... My mate is a Ipswich fan he is here for work and went today... He said that was one of the better ref performances he has seen in time Ipswich have been in this league. 

"...Rooney called on Friday to wish Rosenior good luck. Another symbol of the togetherness born from the chaos was in the dressing room at full-time. Krystian Bielik, who joined Birmingham on loan on Friday in order to give himself a chance of making Poland’s squad for the World Cup, wished everyone all the best.

“I finished the teamtalk, I turned around and Krystian is standing there,” Rosenior said. “He’s not leaving the club because he doesn’t want to be here, he’s leaving to follow his dream and we should appreciate that and give him the best chance to do that.”

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

Derby odds check..

Pre season 11/1 to be champions 7/2 for promotion.

After today 7/1 to be champions 9/4 for promotion...

Handy to keep tabs on these over the season..especially for laying off pre season bets later.

agreed....back bets taken prior to the takeover will be perfect to lay.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

....“I finished the teamtalk, I turned around and Krystian is standing there,” Rosenior said. “He’s not leaving the club because he doesn’t want to be here, he’s leaving to follow his dream and we should appreciate that and give him the best chance to do that.”

He must eat cheese before he goes to bed - most people would consider playing for that club in front of their toxic fans more of a nightmare than a dream.....

20 minutes ago, ben_dcfc said:

We played on with Smith down and injury time was actually correct for once. Not saying the officials were good, but don't think we were unfairly treated. Could have been a red for the foul on Bird, but equally Hourihane could have got a second yellow. Sibley came on and got fouled clearly in front of the lino but wasn't given, Mendez-Laing did the same foul about 15 minutes later and no foul.

I can't see there was 8 mins injury time. They should have 2 yellows for exactly the same one Collins did as a bit of retribution. Wasn't impressed.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"...Rooney called on Friday to wish Rosenior good luck. Another symbol of the togetherness born from the chaos was in the dressing room at full-time. Krystian Bielik, who joined Birmingham on loan on Friday in order to give himself a chance of making Poland’s squad for the World Cup, wished everyone all the best.

“I finished the teamtalk, I turned around and Krystian is standing there,” Rosenior said. “He’s not leaving the club because he doesn’t want to be here, he’s leaving to follow his dream and we should appreciate that and give him the best chance to do that.

Are we getting the right compensation for his dream is my concern.  Has that other Polish international left Barnsley yet .  What about the one we sold to the basketball league.  Joke

26 minutes ago, Srg said:

Until it goes very much against us I don’t mind it overall I don’t think. Some tougher challenges going in and that, shirts pulls etc but aslong as it’s the same for everyone and we can do the same then that’s fine by me. We know the standard won’t be brilliant, but it’s all part of the game to me.

As I said on my first post, as long as the players are protecting each other and by extension the referee is looking out for those loose challenges, then I’m ok with a more industrial game.

34 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Perhaps we depend on the South stand too much to get the atmosphere warmed up.Anyway I’m blaming the drummer.Oxford made a big mistake by putting a man on Bird and letting Connor roam free.

I agree, and it was good to hear North Stand starting a chant or too today. I actually think the South Stand did okay today. There were a lot of young kids round us in West Stand so not always easy to get those chants going. 

Excellent introduction to League One.

We came out flying and the first 20 minutes was dominant. However, Oxford grew into the game and has simple instructions to try and get behind our back line which nearly paid off a couple of times. Even if their chances were difficult to convert, which it proved with them only managing two soft shots on target in the whole game.

The referee was absolutely dire, not in terms of cheating anyone, but he just let far too much go from both sides and thought his approach was borderline dangerous as players on both sides decided to let fly a little more than I’m certainly used too. Decisions are subjective too, which I understand, but they were straight up misremembering the laws of the game at times which you wouldn’t expect from any ref in the football league. I can only imagine his score for this game, as well as the linesmen, will be extremely low.

Sibley pulled the game in our favour, which was no surprise to those who have watched him throughout the academy. I said that based on the role Smith was playing, essentially guard dog of their back four, I would’ve preferred Sibley there as he can do a similar job, albeit with more risk of picking up a red card, and has a lot more quality. 

I did think we protected and stood up for ourselves in the second half, which probably Oxford weren’t expecting. Overall, I thought the difference in quality between the two sides, majority of the time, was like watching an FA Cup tie between two teams in different leagues. They had some good players, but also some players who probably should be part-time and probably will be in a year or two. It’s common in this league.

We obviously have a ton of work to do, a lot of misplaced paces and runs that weren’t spotted. Collins seemed to be on a completely different hymn sheet to his teammates at times with runs. Familiarity will help enormously. 

We should take a lot of confidence away from that game, with Charlton next giving us another opportunity to work on things and fine tune the team.