Matchday Thread - Derby County v Oxford United (30/07 15:00)

Sean

3 hours ago, Rambam said:

I wonder if the lack of segregation sections is here to stay. It looks great. Much better, and increases the capacity. Of course it could be inviting trouble. 

Invariably will depend on fixture. Given we haven't played Oxford in 30 years it was never going to be a grudge match. If we draw 'Boro in the cup I'd suggest it'd likely be more significant, save that or have a riot on our hands.

Great day.  Great atmosphere.  Great winning goal.  Great interplay between NML and Knight.  Great that the admins got the shout out to my Mrs at half time spot on.  Great that my son has finally seen us win a game.  Great that Rosinior is off to a winning start.  Great that I shouted that loadly at Hourihane’s goal that I went dizzy and almost passed out.

tony the tiger swerk GIF

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I noticed the lack of covered seats when I first came into view.  It worked today (or seemed to from the NE Corner, where I sit?‍♂️) so fingers crossed it's here to stay.

Any comments from anyone a little closer to the action?  

Wasnt closer but remember what Barnsley fans were like when saw them once at Pride Park - cant remember when so would reconsider for next game!!

10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Korey Smith is some player by the way. 

Will be massive for us this season and was using his movement to try and drive us forwards when things were getting a bit chuckle brothers at the back. 

Yes, he was one of those who wasn’t playing his natural role. He will knit things together for us, a bit like McGoldrick.

15 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Korey Smith is some player by the way. 

Will be massive for us this season and was using his movement to try and drive us forwards when things were getting a bit chuckle brothers at the back. 

You can see he's a decent player but I thought he had one of those days where nothing went right for him yesterday.  Just seemed on a different wavelength to the rest of the team. Totally understandable of course given how little time the team have had together.

Sibley was much more effective when he replaced him.

25 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

You can see he's a decent player but I thought he had one of those days where nothing went right for him yesterday.  Just seemed on a different wavelength to the rest of the team. Totally understandable of course given how little time the team have had together.

Sibley was much more effective when he replaced him.

He hit a brilliant pass from a quickly taken free kick that released NML.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Thoughts from yesterday.

Felt incredibly tense before the game and that took away a little from the delight at being back.

I thought the team played with a similar spirit to last year, even though the personnel was hugely different. It was obvious that we were a bit clunky as players get used to each other and playing in different positions but I could see what they were trying to do and there wasn’t anyone yesterday that I thought played poorly or that wouldn’t contribute to the cause this season.

Knight and NML terrorised Oxford in the first half but were largely blunted as a pair in the second. Mendez Laing was my MOM.

Knight played well but is wasted at FB. We need him in midfield where we were overpowered. We put in very few telling tackles and we can’t afford to do that this year. I can see why we’re looking at another CM and would love Dale Stephens here. We will struggle away from home unless we have more defensive CM options.

I thought Collins battled well and ran his socks off but he badly needs a goal and a bit more central support. When Sibley came on he got that. Thought LS played okay (not so keen on the shenanigans after the final whistle) and he showed the importance of a central player who runs at the opposition. This is another area where we need strengthening. A quicker forward.

I can see why we play the sideways, backwards Chuckle Brothers routine to draw the opposition but this looks too robotic and overdone. We have two exciting wide players and poor Barkhuisen had little to work with in the first half. In the second he showed how valuable he can be.

Looking at the squad, I’m still struggling to see where a lot of goals are coming from but I can also see a strong squad emerging and there’s a lot of quality.

And finally, when the ball came to Hourihane on that left foot I just knew where it would end up. That was glorious!

What did Sibley do after the final whistle?

I enjoyed the match yesterday, the atmosphere was positive from the crowd even if we weren't at our most exuberant, and the players all did well. 

I liked the look of Mendez Laing although I think that he will entertain and frustrate in equal measure. I thought Corey Smith was extremely influential in the first half before he faded a little in the second, understandable at this stage of the season. I felt a bit sorry for Collins and Barkhuizen because they were both left a little isolated but both did enough with the small amount of ball they had to suggest that they are capable of winning games for us once everybody has bedded in.

Knight was superb and my MOM despite playing out of position, thankfully he seems to be the type of character who is happy to play wherever as long as he's in the team. Hourahaine showed that there is no substitute for class which leaves Louie Sibley. I criticised him after the stevenage game but yesterday he was brilliant, playing with an intelligence and positivity which changed the game.

I don't think anybody will get carried away by a 1-0 victory at home  because we should expect to win our home games. Next week is the big test and probably the biggest indicator of how we are going to do this season, because our away form can make or break our hopes, so a pat on the back for yesterday but stay realistic.

12 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Let his feelings be known to a couple of Oxford players, as soon as he came on they were at him, I said to my brother there after a reaction......glad he saved it till after the whistle

A sign he is maturing as a player. If we can get him to channel his aggression into his running at the opposition with the ball then we have some player at this level. 

38 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

What did Sibley do after the final whistle?

Bit of pushing and shoving. I think he was a bit ‘in your face’ with his celebration. Usual petulant football handbags. Nothing to scare Tyson Fury too much ?

23 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Bit of pushing and shoving. I think he was a bit ‘in your face’ with his celebration. Usual petulant football handbags. Nothing to scare Tyson Fury too much ?

Credit to Sibley. He was hit hard twice just after coming on - I’m sure that was no coincidence. In the past he might have got himself into trouble - but he managed to stay under control. 

But far better when the whistle goes for him to brush all that aside and shake hands with the oppo. 

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Great day.  Great atmosphere.  Great winning goal.  Great interplay between NML and Knight.  Great that the admins got the shout out to my Mrs at half time spot on.  Great that my son has finally seen us win a game.  Great that Rosinior is off to a winning start.  Great that I shouted that loadly at Hourihane’s goal that I went dizzy and almost passed out.

tony the tiger swerk GIF

...had you the drink taken? 

1 hour ago, RIMBAUD said:

He hit a brilliant pass from a quickly taken free kick that released NML.

I kept thinking the ref was gonna stop as one of our players were down when he took the quick free kick, so didn't get excited. Turned out to be one of our best chances.