Matchday Thread - Derby County v Oxford United (30/07 15:00)

Sean

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Spot on, Tuff Luff.

I was a bit worried when they started that stuff, expecting us to wilt under the challenges, but we looked well prepared for it.

It actually distracted them more than it did us.

Yeah, I can’t work out of it was a deliberate tactic from the bench or from tiredness.

If it was from the bench then it was really naive to try and target Bird and Knight physically because they aren’t young players anymore. They have three/four seasons under their belt and Knights an Ireland full international!

24 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I can't see there was 8 mins injury time. They should have 2 yellows for exactly the same one Collins did as a bit of retribution. Wasn't impressed.

7 were added on, and the extra minute came from the ref taking so bloody long to book Curtis. There was about 5 minutes of stoppage in the first 15minutes of the second half, with Bird's injury, then Collins booking and them surrounding the ref wanting Hourihane sent off. Then they wasted time every free kick and throw in so 7 minutes was fair in my opinion, though we've certainly had games like that when trailing and seen only 3/4 minutes added. Must have missed them making 2 challenges like that, but no doubt it was a yellow for Collins, a striker making that challenge nearly always gets booked, and he did one similar in the first half.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

DIT - Also a big shout out to Wildsmith. Clean sheet on debut, made a few decent saves, a number of people raised concerns about him maybe not being right as first choice but he did his job well enough today.

I was a big allstop fan and shed a tear when he left. Some posters say otherwise but there is no more important position on the pitch (according to J Morinho). Yes Wildsmith had a good game and looked comfy with the heart stopping tippy tappy stuff. Hope he grows into the role. He claims to be 6’2” but looks alarmingly like Les Green between the posts. 

2 hours ago, DanS1992 said:

Why? What did he say?

He whinged on the touchline at whoever would listen for the entire match. He came across as a total plank. 

He also had a row with Stearman and  Fozzy after their player scythed through Max Bird. It was a shocking tackle and he didn’t seem to think there was anything wrong with it. 

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

I was a big allstop fan and shed a tear when he left. Some posters say otherwise but there is no more important position on the pitch (according to J Morinho). Yes Wildsmith had a good game and looked comfy with the heart stopping tippy tappy stuff. Hope he grows into the role. He claims to be 6’2” but looks alarmingly like Les Green between the posts. 

Yeah I’m with you on Allsop, would feel very confident if he was still here. Just felt it was a good start for Wildsmith and something to build on, if there is another keeper out there to bring in either to improve upon him or at the very least to provide competition we definitely still need it, I’m just a little more reassured after today that Wildsmith can do a job. 

36 minutes ago, Rev said:

Still not managed to return home after the game, I'm in for such a bollocking!

Have finally returned to the nest, fully armed with excuses. 

1. They've changed the traffic management, so the home coaches leave first. Had a sneaky pint in the Yard, and the buses left just as we arrived.

Decided to wait out the traffic, and get a taxi back into town. Swift pint or three in Frankie and Bennys. Two ubers didnt turn up.

The Red Arrow was busier than usual due to the train strike, so we had to queue. Getting more beer from the shop didn't help our place in the queue, admittedly. 

Pride day in Nottingham today, not a taxi or bus free to return home without encountering menacing hordes of biker types. Another few in the Six Barrels, then I somehow got cajoled into leading the march through town!

Arrived home, and burst into 'I am what i am' when the present Mrs Devil opened the door, with a requestioned rainbow boa draped around my neck. Not amused, at all.

Let her have her mini moan, then told her I wouldn't change a single thing about the day frankly, we were celebrating the fact there was even a game and a club to go and see. 

Obviously, promised it wouldn't happen again, and will sleep on the settee tonight.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Agree with what has been said about the shocking officiating. Even basic things like placing the free kick for the offside where the Lino put his flag up instead of where the last man was - bizarre. Must say though, not seen a team surround the ref like that since Roy Keane was still playing. Is that standard stuff in this league?

I think the offside rule has changed now and it goes to where they engaged with the play. I remember last season a free kick being given in the players own half and everyone was saying how can you be offside in your own half, but it was because that’s where he engaged with play after starting offside.

I might be totally wrong, but I’m fairly certain that’s what the officials were doing.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Agree with what has been said about the shocking officiating. Even basic things like placing the free kick for the offside where the Lino put his flag up instead of where the last man was - bizarre. Must say though, not seen a team surround the ref like that since Roy Keane was still playing. Is that standard stuff in this league?

We can’t expect the officiating in Div1 to be as good as the championship. Just need to accept that 

Thought we were good value for the 3 points today. We (almost) didn’t sink to they’re level with the cynical fouls (Davies was very late with that second half tackle!)

Very impressed with NML. Always looked to take on his man and cut inside. Cashin put in the performance of a seasoned, grizzled centre back. Collins worked tirelessly and Sibley’s game changing role from the bench was, in my opinion, a huge F you to being an after thought under the previous manager.

Also massive props to the lone Oxford fan who tried to enter the outdoor area of The Merlin looking to fight everyone after the game. Very brave and resilient performance!

8 minutes ago, Rev said:

Have finally returned to the nest, fully armed with excuses. 

1. They've changed the traffic management, so the home coaches leave first. Had a sneaky pint in the Yard, and the buses left just as we arrived.

Decided to wait out the traffic, and get a taxi back into town. Swift pint or three in Frankie and Bennys. Two ubers didnt turn up.

The Red Arrow was busier than usual due to the train strike, so we had to queue. Getting more beer from the shop didn't help our place in the queue, admittedly. 

Pride day in Nottingham today, not a taxi or bus free to return home without encountering menacing hordes of biker types. Another few in the Six Barrels, then I somehow got cajoled into leading the march through town!

Arrived home, and burst into 'I am what i am' when the present Mrs Devil opened the door, with a requestioned rainbow boa draped around my neck. Not amused, at all.

Let her have her mini moan, then told her I wouldn't change a single thing about the day frankly, we were celebrating the fact there was even a game and a club to go and see. 

Obviously, promised it wouldn't happen again, and will sleep on the settee tonight.

Ahem. I’m your wife and you owe me 5,000£

Enjoyed that game, Beers before the game and beers after the game, That's what Saturdays are for for me, Sat 5 seats away from Amanda Solloway MP, She wanted her picture with me but I declined ?

1st 20 mins it was our game, Then nip n tuck, 2nd half we played more forward, Could/should have scored before we did, I can only see us getting better, Officials were decent...ish, This is league 1, Tackles were flying, He let some go but pulled up others that were...meh.

All in all we were the better team, Wildsmith not a lot to do, Back 4 protected him, Smith Laing is going to be a hand full, Well done Sibley for your harassing to get the ball for us to score, I'll sleep well tonight...happy days.

COYRs. 

Tipped to be up there at the end of the season and i think we coped well. They are a settled side and it showed but we came out on top.

Some good play and we can see what we are trying to do.

If we are around the top 6 come xmas I think we'll have  good chance as we'll be a more settled side and hopefully a few more players in the building

23 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yeah I’m with you on Allsop, would feel very confident if he was still here. Just felt it was a good start for Wildsmith and something to build on, if there is another keeper out there to bring in either to improve upon him or at the very least to provide competition we definitely still need it, I’m just a little more reassured after today that Wildsmith can do a job. 

I agree, it's early days and mistakes will come as they do for all goalkeepers then we'll see how well he can overcome them (or not), but, credit where credit is due, Wildsmith was faultless today with what he had to do. Can't ask more of him than that.

Mendez-Laing man of the match, the guys an animal that's going to put so many left backs on their arses this season.

Knight, I just feel sorry for the lad. You play him in the middle today and we're looking at a much bigger scoreline. 

Play Smith, Rammie, the tea lady at right back I don't care, just stop wasting Knight's talent. If I had hair I would be pulling it out right now.

Saying that, I did enjoy the game today, with so many signings to gel into a team I honestly don't think we could have expected much more.

Was a little surprised that Oxford fans dominated the noise levels for large parts of the game up to the goal, surprised but pleased in a way as it was a sign of normality creeping back in.

Felt like an air of we're just happy to be here, let's have a party attitude online.

Whilst I fully get it, I don't want to waste a season down here of basically happy to just exist, a free ride for the squad which in 2 seasons could all be gone on free transfers if we're still knocking about down here.

Players such as Knight and Bird are not 3rd tier players, we cannot afford to see these leave for free so it's time to get serious.