Matchday Thread - Derby County v Oxford United (30/07 15:00)

Sean

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

A sign he is maturing as a player. If we can get him to channel his aggression into his running at the opposition with the ball then we have some player at this level. 

He spent most of his time with our U18s-U23s doing exactly that though, and didn't seem to have much trouble continuing with that when he first made the step up.

11 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

As there were 3,000 Oxford Utd fans, that makes 28,000 Derby fans, of which @18,000 were season ticket holders. so approximately 10,000 Derby were 'walk-up' / 'pay-on-the-day' fans.

We're already at about 23k Derby fans for the Barnsley game with two weeks to go. Barnsley were given an initial 1,402 tickets. Should end up with about 29k in attendance. 

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Sibley did great when he came on.

Well pleased for him. 

Changed the game. Stretched their defence out with his runs and forced errors, one of which directly led to the goal. 

Also thought Knight had a fantastic second half. Looked like a natural right back rather than cover. 

The lack of creativity in the middle still worries me, but with the abundance of individual talent a lot of times we’re going to score from nothing thus season would be my guess.

I thought Mendez Laing's performance was the most thought provoking. His effort, strength and running were brilliant. Yet his crossing rarely went with 5 yards of a Derby player. 

I wonder if that's the flaw in his game - everything else looks Premier League standard. If his accuracy improves, he'll destroy teams in this division. I'm really hoping his wayward crossing was either not yet having an understanding with his team mates or just being a bit rusty. Really excited to see how he develops. 

I also think it didn't help that Collins was very rarely in position to get on the end of crosses. If I were Rosenior, I would instruct him to remain central. 

Early days, but when you look at the context, yesterday was very promising. 

11 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I thought Mendez Laing's performance was the most thought provoking. His effort, strength and running were brilliant. Yet his crossing rarely went with 5 yards of a Derby player. 

I wonder if that's the flaw in his game - everything else looks Premier League standard. If his accuracy improves, he'll destroy teams in this division. I'm really hoping his wayward crossing was either not yet having an understanding with his team mates or just being a bit rusty. Really excited to see how he develops. 

I also think it didn't help that Collins was very rarely in position to get on the end of crosses. If I were Rosenior, I would instruct him to remain central. 

Early days, but when you look at the context, yesterday was very promising. 

I thought that it was crying out for Fozzy to come in on the far post for NML's crosses, obviously off the bench also.

Edited by ram59
Clarity

An even game until Louie Sibley came on after 60 minutes. This isn't entirely down to him, but he was the key influence on the match. 

Screenshot_20220731-134843.thumb.png.b3a2feca307afb0beaf6c983adcfb6e3.png

Looking at the Oxford forum, the comment was "In the end it was won and lost by the subs. Their fresh-leggef 17 was full of clever running, just when we were tiring but didn't interfere with their shape. Pretty much won them the game." 

Mendez-Laing was brilliant getting in down the right but never did anything with it. Hopefully that will change and his final ball will improve. Sibbo obviously has a reputation so as soon as he came on the Oxford players were kicking and pushing him, but he let his football do the talking. Despite zero protection from the ref. With three or four players around him on the edge of their box he calmly and cleverly found Hourihane in the space that had been created, and it was an excellent first touch then finish from the Irishman. 

As so many of us have said, build the team around Sibley and we'll have a good season and always carry a threat. I'm so pleased he's clearly shown Rosenior what we're missing and what he brings, but sadly I expect he'll be sub again against Charlton. Hope I'm wrong. 

Fantastic to open with a win. If we could bag 3 points on Saturday we have real momentum. 

59 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Changed the game. Stretched their defence out with his runs and forced errors, one of which directly led to the goal. 

Also thought Knight had a fantastic second half. Looked like a natural right back rather than cover. 

The lack of creativity in the middle still worries me, but with the abundance of individual talent a lot of times we’re going to score from nothing thus season would be my guess.

I think you have to credit Oxford for stifling some of our creativity in midfield. The number 11 went man to man on bird. It did help when he went off. 

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

Amazing what Sibley can do when played in the correct position and not stuck out wide.

On 29/07/2022 at 23:45, BramcoteRam84 said:

They started taking tops off bottled soft drinks last season which seems ridiculous, if they started selling fruit shoots it wouldn’t be much of an issue but makes it hard with kids in tow.

It is ridiculous. The mass and drag coefficient of a plastic bottle top would make it virtually impossible to throw to the touch line, never mind hit a player without some hugely complex apparatus or explosive device. Even a clever catapult would struggle. There’s just too much drag. You can wander in to the ground with a pocket full of coins that are far more dangerous. So .. why do they do it ? Have I missed something ? I simply wouldn’t  buy water in the ground and suspect I am not alone. It’s lost revenue for the club for no gain at all. 

it’s a slow news day, and just had Sunday dinner, hence this daft post ?

19 minutes ago, jono said:

It is ridiculous. The mass and drag coefficient of a plastic bottle top would make it virtually impossible to throw to the touch line, never mind hit a player without some hugely complex apparatus or explosive device. Even a clever catapult would struggle. There’s just too much drag. You can wander in to the ground with a pocket full of coins that are far more dangerous. So .. why do they do it ? Have I missed something ? I simply wouldn’t  buy water in the ground and suspect I am not alone. It’s lost revenue for the club for no gain at all. 

it’s a slow news day, and just had Sunday dinner, hence this daft post ?

I bought a bottle of coke yesterday and they left the top on, so presume they have changed their policy unless the guy serving me forgot.

On 30/07/2022 at 12:38, jimtastic56 said:

100% with you on this one . Get Conor forward , he has a tremendous shot. 

Don’t like quoting myself, especially when it’s so obvious. No player has scored more goals from outside the box since he has been a player.

21 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I bought a bottle of coke yesterday and they left the top on, so presume they have changed their policy unless the guy serving me forgot.

I am just messing about and

aughing about the daft things in life. It’s not the policy that gets me, it’s the person who invented it.. I mean, someone supposedly educated and qualified in something, sat down and decided “yeah that’s a really good idea” ? and will prevent a huge risk / threat to the general public and players alike.  

1 hour ago, jono said:

y dinner, hence this daft post ?

You're right to call these absurdities out. Otherwise we call accept things just getting gradually worse because of these nonsense ideas someone with too much time on their hands has thought up. Meaning, ridiculously, I nowadays always bring spare bottle tops to games or gigs so I can put one on when the jobsworths have removed it.

22 minutes ago, Norwichram2 said:

Anybody else cheesed off with their manager in a white t shirt? I kept mistaking him for one of ours in an advanced position down the wing. 

Same here at first! I wondered whether it was a tactic he employed for all games. For instance away to Burton Albion does he dress all in yellow?

Edited by Coconut's Beard

23 minutes ago, Norwichram2 said:

Anybody else cheesed off with their manager in a white t shirt? I kept mistaking him for one of ours in an advanced position down the wing. 

For a moment i thought I was at the cricket and wondered why the sight screen kept moving.

6 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

As there were 3,000 Oxford Utd fans, that makes 28,000 Derby fans, of which @18,000 were season ticket holders. so approximately 10,000 Derby were 'walk-up' / 'pay-on-the-day' fans.

Appently sold over 19k in season tickets.