Matchday Thread - Derby County v Oxford United (30/07 15:00)

Sean

4 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I think we’ll see knight in there when we have a RB in. His energy is a must for me in this league. His running should create more space/options for Hourihane to do his stuff. 

Such a shame about Byrne. Imagine him and NML down that right side.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Such a shame about Byrne. Imagine him and NML down that right side.

He’s made his bed. Even if he backtracked I’d still rather someone who wants to be here. 

Like you say massive shame though as those 2 would tear this league apart and put other teams straight on the back foot and negating a lot of their threat sound our right side. 

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

First time we’ve won the opening game when at home for ages.

Well done lads.

First time since Rotherham in 2014, which is the only other time we've won our first home game of the season in the last 11 years. Strange when you think how strong our home record was in some of those seasons.

30 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sibley’s introduction made a huge difference.

That’s the thing. Decent ball carriers moves the opposition out of position more than possession football (unless you pass at the speed of a PL side).

We were slow in possession. But getting NML, Sibley and Knight running on the ball moved them out of position and created the space.

I don’t think we can have Bird, Smith and Hourihane as a midfield three. All too similar possession players. We need a runner in there.

Agreed, swap Smith and Knight in the absence of an actual RB. Gives that 3 more dynamism.

35 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

That’s the thing. Decent ball carriers moves the opposition out of position more than possession football (unless you pass at the speed of a PL side).

We were slow in possession. But getting NML, Sibley and Knight running on the ball moved them out of position and created the space.

I don’t think we can have Bird, Smith and Hourihane as a midfield three. All too similar possession players. We need a runner in there.

It's not just on the ball, it's off the ball. Noticed it last week against Leicester; neither Hourihane or Smith moved around the opposition nearly enough with both pretty static.

And you just can't have that from both of your more advanced midfielders because there ends up no way to progress. It's the same pattern Smith goes off -> mobile midfielder capable of running both off and on the ball goes into the middle and suddenly everything clicks together. 

42 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Completely agree was just saying the same in the car on the way back.

Tough game, but given their level last season it has given me a little more faith that we can do well in this league.

At times they couldn’t live with us, and with a bit more playing  time together and match fitness I think we should see less giving away of the ball and passes that lacked pace and substance.

Not getting too excited, but it bodes well.

40 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Just got back in car. Who is the pundit with Dawes? Don’t recognise voice.

Ta

I think it said Darren Robinson, former youth coach. I thought he was OK and worked well with Ed. I'm confined to the house with covid so had to rely on RD today, first time I've listened in a while. I thought Eds commentary was pretty good as well today tbf. 

Tough opening game. I thought overall we played alright, can see what we're trying to do but that it is still early days with the cohesion of players. NML was very direct which is brilliant to have from a winger, when Barkhuizen got the ball 1 on 1 he beat his man with ease and put a pretty decent ball in. I liked that we finally put some crosses into the box too. Thought Bird & Hourihane didnt impact the overall play as much as I expected/hoped but in time they well. Might go unnoticed by many but I really enjoyed Collins performance. He put himself about, ran his socks off, won plenty of freekicks & nearly scored with a difficult volley.

Need to strengthen the overall squad though, the bench was pretty poor in terms of attacking options although Sibley did well & made an impact.

3 points, clean sheet, opening day win = very happy!

Edited by DCFC1388