James Chester - Signed 1 year deal

Donkey Derby

3 hours ago, Betty Swollocks said:

So are you now contradicting yourself and saying that elite level players can still run and graft when they are "Old", but non-elite level players cant?

no, elite level players can find ways around it with their superior skill and experience. we are talking a group of players that have won 5 champions leagues here not james chester

11 hours ago, jono said:

So Curtis, Jags, Fozzy, CKR who all held their own last year ? 

Sorry mate it isn’t about old V young it’s as @Rammy03said: Balance .. the right amount of youthful energy and endeavour mixed with the steel and wiles of experience. 

i am not disputing that

but you cant build an entire team of them

lets see what transfers we bring it, i would just like to see some younger up and coming players linked rather than those on the decline

6 minutes ago, alram said:

lets see what transfers we bring it, i would just like to see some younger up and coming players linked rather than those on the decline

Like who though? Who is available as a free transfer? I've not seen many established up-and-coming players listed who are free agents and who fit your requirements.

33 minutes ago, alram said:

no, elite level players can find ways around it with their superior skill and experience. we are talking a group of players that have won 5 champions leagues here not james chester

What about players who aren’t “elite” but have played 60 ish games at Premier League level, over 290 at championship level, over 30 internationals, experienced promotions in their career and are now willing to step down a league to bring that experience and quality to the Derby County rebuild….like James Chester perhaps? 

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What about players who aren’t “elite” but have played 60 ish games at Premier League level, over 290 at championship level, over 30 internationals, experienced promotions in their career and are now willing to step down a league to bring that experience and quality to the Derby County rebuild….like James Chester perhaps? 

the exact same would have been posted about numerous players we have signed in the past 5 years that have turned out to be absolute horse radish.

doing the same thing over and over again in a sign of insanity

2 hours ago, alram said:

i am not disputing that

but you cant build an entire team of them

No one is saying get a load of old fogeys in. You’re misreading what folk are saying. It’s balance. We need a handful of old stagers with nous and grit to go with our young guns. There were times last season, Curtis and Allsop aside when we had an entire team in their late teens early 20’s . They got out thought, or out muscled - not strictly speaking out played . You need something of both; young mixed with experience. Hey, like you I know we are missing a young or mid 20’s physically in their prime striker. We haven’t got a killer in the box, one full of youthful beans (I know I know Stretton but he isn’t proven in mens football yet to my mind) … but the signings so far at 28 and 30, plus a young GK look like just what we need and they are not crocks at that age. We do need more players at differing periods in their careers with differing attribute’s. Football is a game for fit players, they all have something to offer, be they 16 or 40. 

On 29/06/2022 at 06:42, alram said:

you are right i am not disputing his quality, he is a quality player for this division but what is our goal this season? if we dont think we can guarentee a promotion push then its money down the drain that would be better off spent on a younger player who can improve. 

the thing i have against this signing is that we are making the mistakes we made in the past. blinded by the players track record and thinking bloody hell he will be good. how often does it really work out like that? for me its doing the same thing we spent the last 5 years doing and have wasted a monumentum amount of money doing so. i just dont want us to do it again.

stabalise the club with young players that can be treated as ASSETS and fill the rest out with loan players. for once, just once we need to look past the next transfer window as supporters.

It hasn't gone unnoticed that you are sounding the ALARM           by the way ?

Completely unnecessary thou'  we do however need a squad, and its looking good so far

6 hours ago, DesertRam said:

It hasn't gone unnoticed that you are sounding the ALARM           by the way ?

Completely unnecessary thou'  we do however need a squad, and its looking good so far

I don’t think some people are fully grasping the restrictions placed on us regarding signings. It’s ok saying we should be recruiting younger players for the future but any sensibly run club (unlike ourselves) will have their best young talent tied down to contracts and it seems we’re only shopping in the frees and loans market. We’ve got a few weeks to build a 25 man squad, it’s literally all about this window and this window only at the moment.

22 hours ago, alram said:

the exact same would have been posted about numerous players we have signed in the past 5 years that have turned out to be absolute horse radish.

doing the same thing over and over again in a sign of insanity

Except we're not doing the same thing over and over again ?