James Chester - Signed 1 year deal

Donkey Derby

On 29/06/2022 at 09:45, alram said:

glad you chaps have faith in the efl transfer restrictions that would stop us getting into financial damage, worked well last time didnt it.

i just feel its the completely wrong direction to go down, journeymen players on big wages. almost a league one tribute act of our championship dealings under mel. we have to move on from these type of players. old teams just dont do very well anymore, football is a young mans game.

Someone didn`t give Real Madrid that Memo then.

They`ve just won the Champions League and La Liga with Modric(37), Benzema (34), Marcelo (34), Kroos (32), Bale (32), Isco (32), Casemiro (30), Courtois (30), Alaba (29), Nacho (31), Carvjal (29).

But hey, footballs a young mans game !!!!

The secret is balance of experience and youth, we need more experience to go with our youth.

I`d welcome Chester and Hourihane.

On 29/06/2022 at 16:20, alram said:

how is it unconstructive?

all i said was i want us to build a young team, not a team with old players on big wages. as much as people try to paint it players like hourihane and chester will be on vast amounts compared to the average wage in this division

i dont live in a fairtale land where i expect us to sign all the best young players but i would rather put the money saved on wages aside for transfers even if they are not as good players it gives us players to improve.

it appears im in the minority to which i say fair enough but nobody is going to make me think signing players like chester and hourihane is anything but a bad idea

Those players you mention as “being on high wages” simply won’t be if we contract them. I honestly believe we will have a serious wage structure with maybe some bendy bits for exceptions but absolutely no one is going to be on fantasy salaries. The only rider is maybe a couple of the current squad might be offered a nicer deal that is a short term hit, so we can sell them for something in 12 months time. Thus benefitting both parties. 

On 30/06/2022 at 16:15, Betty Swollocks said:

Someone didn`t give Real Madrid that Memo then.

They`ve just won the Champions League and La Liga with Modric(37), Benzema (34), Marcelo (34), Kroos (32), Bale (32), Isco (32), Casemiro (30), Courtois (30), Alaba (29), Nacho (31), Carvjal (29).

But hey, footballs a young mans game !!!!

The secret is balance of experience and youth, we need more experience to go with our youth.

I`d welcome Chester and Hourihane.

oh come on. i cant believe you are even comparing that

the names that have just won the champions league are elite level footballers that have won several champions leagues before not james chester and david mcgoldrick.

football is a young mans game, teams achieve with graft and running nowadays. it has moved on from the experienced types that have no legs.

HERE is my overall point here as i sound like broken record:

league one is all about physicality and graft. if you spend most weeks being outrun you are not going to achieve anything. the players we are bringing in are going to get outrun, we are relying simply on their past quality which may not even be there anymore. i would rather have a team full of grafters than a team full of experienced heads that are on the decline.

6 minutes ago, alram said:

league one is all about physicality and graft. if you spend most weeks being outrun you are not going to achieve anything. the players we are bringing in are going to get outrun, we are relying simply on their past quality which may not even be there anymore. i would rather have a team full of grafters than a team full of experienced heads that are on the decline.

Tom Barkhuizen is only 28, I don't think he is on the decline. Mendez Laing I can understand your concern. Those are the only outfield players we have signed. Are you forgetting that we have the likes of Bird, Knight, Thompson who are young players full of energy and will play every week.

16 minutes ago, alram said:

You keep making this point Alram but what you’re saying is contradictory, young players are not a guarantee of matching the physicality and graft you say we can expect in league one.

Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing both offer physicality and pace (definitely NML) in the wide positions. They are 28 and 30 years old respectively, they are adults who have fully developed physically at their ages and are experienced pros at the level above where we now find ourselves having both played over 300 games each as professionals. They’re not 63 year old pensioners with glass bones, nor are they 19/20 year olds like Sibley/Bird/Ebiowei who to me, despite their obvious footballing ability, have been found at times to be quite lightweight as they still have growing to do.

Wildsmith is a 26 year old goalkeeper. Cashin and Thommo are youngsters who have extended. Of those the club has announced so far who is it that you have massive concerns about and based on what facts? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

7 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Tom Barkhuizen is only 28, I don't think he is on the decline. Mendez Laing I can understand your concern. Those are the only outfield players we have signed. Are you forgetting that we have the likes of Bird, Knight, Thompson who are young players full of energy and will play every week.

Potentially, he's a very good signing.  Regarding the engine-  he has suffered with long covid which he openly advises has caused him blood pressure, headache and fatigue issues.  

27 minutes ago, alram said:

football is a young mans game, teams achieve with graft and running nowadays. it has moved on from the experienced types that have no legs.

Based on what evidence? Of course we can't have a team of 35 year olds but equally we can't have a team of youngsters who lack the physicality, know-how and intelligence. It's all about the balance and that is seen in successful teams at this level time and time again.

34 minutes ago, alram said:

Spot on..............a broken record

46 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Based on what evidence? Of course we can't have a team of 35 year olds but equally we can't have a team of youngsters who lack the physicality, know-how and intelligence. It's all about the balance and that is seen in successful teams at this level time and time again.

You don’t win anything with a team full of youngsters ?

2 hours ago, alram said:

You do sound like a broken record, let's just wait and see whether your assessment is correct. I watched a couple of games involving Solihull Moors last season and was impressed with the quality of football on show, I even said to friends at the time that the football wouldn't have been out of place in the championship, this was in the National League, 2 leagues below Lg1.

3 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

being fair i have never complained about barkhuizen, i think he is a good signing.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You keep making this point Alram but what you’re saying is contradictory, young players are not a guarantee of matching the physicality and graft you say we can expect in league one.

Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing both offer physicality and pace (definitely NML) in the wide positions. They are 28 and 30 years old respectively, they are adults who have fully developed physically at their ages and are experienced pros at the level above where we now find ourselves having both played over 300 games each as professionals. They’re not 63 year old pensioners with glass bones, nor are they 19/20 year olds like Sibley/Bird/Ebiowei who to me, despite their obvious footballing ability, have been found at times to be quite lightweight as they still have growing to do.

Wildsmith is a 26 year old goalkeeper. Cashin and Thommo are youngsters who have extended. Of those the club has announced so far who is it that you have massive concerns about and based on what facts? 

i am not saying kids caerphilly. i am saying players approaching their prime, lots of clubs are clocking on that old players arent worth the investment. 

i just dont want us to repeat the same mistakes which looks like we are doing with the signings linked/signed so far.

4 hours ago, alram said:

i am not saying kids caerphilly. i am saying players approaching their prime, lots of clubs are clocking on that old players arent worth the investment. 

i just dont want us to repeat the same mistakes which looks like we are doing with the signings linked/signed so far.

I think others have made the point but worth repeating. There's a big difference between signing an experienced pro who fits the culture and playing style for nowt on a two year deal than spending £5m on a 30 year old on a four year deal who doesn't fit with anything.

We will have to take a few calculated risks and not everyone will work out but the risks are much lower and our options much narrower.

I think you'll see a couple of younger prospects coming in as well as the established pros. Hopefully Rosenior et al will have learned a lot from last season in terms of squad composition and having a strong culture. 

Edited by RodleyRam
Half asleep

10 hours ago, alram said:

So Curtis, Jags, Fozzy, CKR who all held their own last year ? 

Sorry mate it isn’t about old V young it’s as @Rammy03said: Balance .. the right amount of youthful energy and endeavour mixed with the steel and wiles of experience. 

22 hours ago, alram said:

oh come on. i cant believe you are even comparing that

the names that have just won the champions league are elite level footballers that have won several champions leagues before not james chester and david mcgoldrick.

So are you now contradicting yourself and saying that elite level players can still run and graft when they are "Old", but non-elite level players cant?