James Chester - Signed 1 year deal

Donkey Derby

1 hour ago, whiteroseram said:

I still think I'd rather have Cashin and Davies as our CBs (assuming we're playing a back 4). It'd be a real shame if players like Cashin and Thompson dropped to not getting much of a look in

Thing is we're not just having a squad to stay up next year, they're looking to challenge for promotion. 

One injury to Cashin and Davies and we'd be done for, especially as there's no real youth CBs otherwise available. 

It's going to be a busy season with the various cups plus the league will be far more physical. Having two players to every position is an absolute must IMO. 

Hey;

Another post..... ?

Villa fan here, just wanted to come and say 1) good luck with getting back to the Champ, and 2) Chester....

Chester was a huge asset for us in the Champ, a real leader and loved by the squad, Grealish specifically said he was the single biggest leader in the dressing room during our Championship years.

He is a great player for L1 level for sure, in terms of his injury record, Steve Bruce destroyed his knee by playing him week in, week out with a serious injury after we failed to sign any centre backs and bought 50 right backs instead, terrible really, but Chester soldiered on like a warrior for the team.

looks like he played 21 times for Stoke last season, so fingers crossed he will stay fit for you, if he does, great signing (probably the reason for the 1 year deal).

Good luck.

29 minutes ago, Sentient Pulse said:

Hey;

Another post..... ?

Villa fan here, just wanted to come and say 1) good luck with getting back to the Champ, and 2) Chester....

Chester was a huge asset for us in the Champ, a real leader and loved by the squad, Grealish specifically said he was the single biggest leader in the dressing room during our Championship years.

He is a great player for L1 level for sure, in terms of his injury record, Steve Bruce destroyed his knee by playing him week in, week out with a serious injury after we failed to sign any centre backs and bought 50 right backs instead, terrible really, but Chester soldiered on like a warrior for the team.

looks like he played 21 times for Stoke last season, so fingers crossed he will stay fit for you, if he does, great signing (probably the reason for the 1 year deal).

Good luck.

I've always liked Villa and there fans more than Birmingham.......and Happy Hour Party GIF by Two Lane Brewing

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Magicman said:

After watching the pre season games I am concerned about playing Chester . On Saturday he was slow and failed to convince me he is up to starting over Cashin. 

Proved last season you can be solid at the back without a deal of pace with Curt and Jags. Also let’s not overlook the fact yesterday they were up against Kelechi Iheanacho and Patson Daka. Pace for days between those pair

I think those calling for Cashin and saying we lack pace in the middle of defence  - on the basis that Chester and Davies struggled against quick prem strikers - should remember that we will be playing against a more agricultural style of football, loads of balls pumped into the box. That's where a combination of Chester and Davies will come into its own because of their aerial ability but more particularly because of their experience.   

Edited by Gerry Daly

Let's give the lad a chance, eh! He won't be up against anything like that Leicester front line in L1 after all. Neither Curtis nor Chester will play anything like 60 games this seaso,n so Cash will get plenty of games and will learn from two very good old pros in the process. Cash may not start this season as a mandatory starter, but he'll likely end up as one.

Slight tangent, but I'm also wondering whether we might see us play 3 / 5 at the back this season. I suspect that it won't be lost on LR that we didn't really have a plan 'B' last season. I like the look of both Oduroh (a little raw, I concede) and Roberts going forwards and on admittedly minimal visual evidence, they seem like they might be at least as well suited to a wingback role as they are to the fullback equivalent.

6 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think those calling for Cashin and saying we lack pace in the middle of defence  - on the basis that Chester and Davies struggled against quick prem strikers - should remember that we will be playing against a more agricultural style of football, loads of balls pumped into the box. That's where a combination of Chester and Davies will come into its own because of their aerial ability but more particularly because of their experience.   

Agreed. Also, I find it funny how people say Chester should be replaced by Cashin because Chester is too slow... As good and likable as Cashin is, he is hardly speed merchant himself. ?

Chester is a brilliant signing, another experienced model pro who hopefully, can be our more experienced centre back when Davies finally retires.

Edited by Dimmu