James Chester - Signed 1 year deal

Donkey Derby

2 minutes ago, alram said:

if the names on that list are true then we will be in admin again before next year

do we learn nothing

Why? Any deals will have to be within an EFL rubber stamped budget, and as free agents they'll be earning £0 after July 31.

Edited by Animal is a Ram

Just now, alram said:

if the names on that list are true then we will be in admin again before next year

do we learn nothing

Why? As mentioned in the article we'll have a set budget which the EFL have approved and Clowes will of needed to show he has the funds to support.

glad you chaps have faith in the efl transfer restrictions that would stop us getting into financial damage, worked well last time didnt it.

i just feel its the completely wrong direction to go down, journeymen players on big wages. almost a league one tribute act of our championship dealings under mel. we have to move on from these type of players. old teams just dont do very well anymore, football is a young mans game.

1 minute ago, alram said:

glad you chaps have faith in the efl transfer restrictions that would stop us getting into financial damage, worked well last time didnt it.

i just feel its the completely wrong direction to go down, journeymen players on big wages. almost a league one tribute act of our championship dealings under mel. we have to move on from these type of players. old teams just dont do very well anymore, football is a young mans game.

Taking the first point. EFL will be involved in all signings and will monitor us very closely (Wigan and Bolton are recent examples of this). If we stray from the budget they'll be down on us immediately not a couple of years later when we finally release the accounts.

Your second point I tend to agree with but you didn't mention this in your first post, just us going bust.

We've been in administration almost a year, we've not been able to make a signing for god knows how long, we were on the brink of not even having a club anymore.

We finally look like we might be coming out the other side and some of our fans are moaning about potentially signing Conor Hourihane in league one.

Some of our fans really are something else. Give me strength.

16 minutes ago, alram said:

do we learn nothing

How much do you think Chester, Barkhuizen and Hourihane will demand? They only played about 50-ish games combined last season and won't have many offers at Championship level, certainly not above the relegation candidates.

5 minutes ago, alram said:

I would have to agree particularly with regard to Conor Hourihane. No way should he be playing in League One & given his pedigree, his wages must be significant. That said, I do think its very unlikely he'd still be coming here.

I'm also not a fan of journeymen step downs but we do undoubtedly need experience in the squad, albeit at a reasonable wage level. As for the overall recruitment strategy, I'd much rather we were looking at lads who have had impressive seasons in League One/League Two/National League who are still reasonably young, fit our style of play & will be hungry to make that next step. 

12 minutes ago, alram said:

I just feel its the completely wrong direction to go down, journeymen players on big wages. almost a league one tribute act of our championship dealings under mel. we have to move on from these type of players. old teams just dont do very well anymore, football is a young mans game.

Have you looked at the squad we'll have if players agree to extend their deals with us?

Foulkes, Cashin, Bardell, Buchanan, Bird, Knight, LThompson, Watson, Sibley, Stretton, Cybulski. 11 players aged 21 or younger. Even Bielik is only 24.

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I would have to agree particularly with regard to Conor Hourihane. No way should he be playing in League One & given his pedigree, his wages must be significant. That said, I do think its very unlikely he'd still be coming here.

I'm also not a fan of journeymen step downs but we do undoubtedly need experience in the squad, albeit at a reasonable wage level. As for the overall recruitment strategy, I'd much rather we were looking at lads who have had impressive seasons in League One/League Two/National League who are still reasonably young, fit our style of play & will be hungry to make that next step. 

Yes but they would require a fee... we'll be looking at exclusively out of contract player or very very small fees which isnt going to get you a player who has previously had a good season.

Unfortunately we are going to have to take a few risks on players that have proven quality but are out of form or have been injured a lot. That's just the position we are in.

19 minutes ago, Dan_Ram said:

Yes but they would require a fee... we'll be looking at exclusively out of contract player or very very small fees which isnt going to get you a player who has previously had a good season.

Unfortunately we are going to have to take a few risks on players that have proven quality but are out of form or have been injured a lot. That's just the position we are in.

I meant lads out of contract - in the lower divisions, a lot of contracts tend to be one or two year & so there will be a lot of players out there looking at their options this summer. Totally appreciate we're not in a position to be paying significant fees.

Edited by LeedsCityRam