LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

13 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Crazy what some of our fans are asking. Let’s get Grabban or Andy Carroll, etc, etc.

Are these players going to drop to L1 on the wages we can offer?

To be fair, had we not signed hourihane id agree but I think most frees in the Champ we have a chance with especially around their age. At the moment we’re creating loads of chances and not scoring them, so a clinical forward is a must 

15 hours ago, i-Ram said:

With or without Sibley (540 minutes): 5 scored 3 conceded. Not great is it.

That's not the point of the statistic though is it; it was using an individual as the variable around which to judge impact on the game, which you had previously doubted...

Just this season, Sibley made an impact and provided the assist to win the Oxford game. I'd argue in only 181 minutes, 1 assist for a youngster is decent 5 games in. He's also averaging a 78% dribble success rate showing he's a useful progressive dribbler- that's higher than Barkhuizen and NML. All that despite only really getting bit-part appearances and often deployed out of position, and never started regularly enough to become comfortable in a single role.

I'd give Sibley a run of games as a #10, infront of Bird and Hourihane and see how he gets on in a settled role, especially since McGoldrick doesn't look fully there yet. Then we can judge him properly. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

That's not the point of the statistic though is it; it was using an individual as the variable around which to judge impact on the game, which you had previously doubted...

Just this season, Sibley made an impact and provided the assist to win the Oxford game. I'd argue in only 181 minutes, 1 assist for a youngster is decent 5 games in. He's also averaging a 78% dribble success rate showing he's a useful progressive dribbler- that's higher than Barkhuizen and NML. All that despite only really getting bit-part appearances and often deployed out of position, and never started regularly enough to become comfortable in a single role.

I'd give Sibley a run of games as a #10, infront of Bird and Hourihane and see how he gets on in a settled role, especially since McGoldrick doesn't look fully there yet. Then we can judge him properly. 

I knew the point of the statistic, but I am getting a bit fed up of statistics. You can bend them any way you wish. It’s like you now promoting Sibley because of an ‘assist’. Come on, it was a good pass to Hourihane, but hardly an assist given the nature of the goal. That goal was all about Hourihane’s touch, creating a yard of space and ultimately his shooting prowess. The truth is I don’t dislike Sibley, but if you discount one ‘wonder 90 minute performance’ two years ago, his number of goals and assists don’t look overly great, even if he was dribbling in all of them at close to 80% (which he rarely does).  I really can’t see why so many get carried away with thinking Sibley is the solution.

See Mallik Wilks is the latest player we may have been linked with to go elsewhere, signed for Wednesday. 23 league one experience good scoring record, if we were even in for him clearly we were hoping for a loan. Proves how tough it is for us with the business plan in place, we can’t sign those lower league gems because they require transfer fees we can’t pay. A definite disadvantage for us compared to our promotion rivals. 

15 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

See Mallik Wilks is the latest player we may have been linked with to go elsewhere, signed for Wednesday. 23 league one experience good scoring record, if we were even in for him clearly we were hoping for a loan. Proves how tough it is for us with the business plan in place, we can’t sign those lower league gems because they require transfer fees we can’t pay. A definite disadvantage for us compared to our promotion rivals. 

Yeah, I always thought Mallik Wilks was always a strange one as a number of teams could offer a transfer fee or loan fee. We couldn't. It was never going to happen. Kyle Joseph was a similar one, but he wasn't as highly sought after as Wilks. 

We're shopping in a very small pool and sometimes you can be as creative as possible, but ultimately we're always fighting a losing battle. Grabban is probably our best hope at this stage. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Yeah, I always thought Mallik Wilks was always a strange one as a number of teams could offer a transfer fee or loan fee. We couldn't. It was never going to happen. Kyle Joseph was a similar one, but he wasn't as highly sought after as Wilks. 

We're shopping in a very small pool and sometimes you can be as creative as possible, but ultimately we're always fighting a losing battle. Grabban is probably our best hope at this stage. 

I wonder if we could attract Lyle Taylor, while we are on the subject of Florest players.

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I knew the point of the statistic, but I am getting a bit fed up of statistics. You can bend them any way you wish. It’s like you now promoting Sibley because of an ‘assist’. Come on, it was a good pass to Hourihane, but hardly an assist given the nature of the goal. That goal was all about Hourihane’s touch, creating a yard of space and ultimately his shooting prowess. The truth is I don’t dislike Sibley, but if you discount one ‘wonder 90 minute performance’ two years ago, his number of goals and assists don’t look overly great, even if he was dribbling in all of them at close to 80% (which he rarely does).  I really can’t see why so many get carried away with thinking Sibley is the solution.

Do people who just quote stats really believe that David Lowe is Derby County's most successful manager as he has a 100% win record? I presume so.

Stats have a part to play in areas of the game, but much of it is pointless without context. XG being the most pointless of all. 

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a run at 10, simply because no-one else is tearing it up in that position. But (despite what the stats say) it's hard to argue he's more effective than Barks or NML. 

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I wonder if we could attract Lyle Taylor, while we are on the subject of Florest players.

He's still contracted to Forest. Grabban is a free agent now, which is probably where we are looking for recruits. 

I think we're probably going to struggle in the loan market without the ability to pay loan fees - we can only offer a platform for players to play in a possession-heavy side. It would be important to some teams, others I'm not so sure - especially when they could get fees from elsewhere. 

Difficult - We've done very well to do what we have in all honesty! 

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

A player who would have thrived on the number of chances we're creating went back to Peterborough. Shame it didn't work out with us.

Very frustrating isn't it.  I wasn't overly a fan of JM but again I can only fault our scouting system at the time.  He has scored his goals playing alongside another big target man as a pair, so we buy him then play him up front on his own, as a target man.

We won the game, but I remember at Norwich away I was screaming at him to hold the ball up to relieve pressure, whilst he was getting bullied by two giant centre back but to be fair that's not his game.  His goals for Peterborough are scored with the ball in front of him, and we just didn't do it enough, so I guess the golf course was more appealing.

Our scouting system used to do it regular - buy a player that didn't fit the system, but thankfully we and JM have all moved on.

Cheers 

Gangway D from the terrace

3 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

To be fair, had we not signed hourihane id agree but I think most frees in the Champ we have a chance with especially around their age. At the moment we’re creating loads of chances and not scoring them, so a clinical forward is a must 

Agree that we could do with a clinical striker, or at least an alternative to Collins if he's struggling for form. Not sure that's Carroll though - he hasn't got into double figures in any season since he left Newcastle in 2010-11, and in the last five seasons he's scored six goals in 72 games (admittedly usually as a sub).

Even if he came on a reduced wage it would still be money wasted. (Grabban would be better, I'd say, but can't see him dropping to League One just yet, and wouldn't be surprised if the West Brom link turns out to be true.)

27 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Agree that we could do with a clinical striker, or at least an alternative to Collins if he's struggling for form. Not sure that's Carroll though - he hasn't got into double figures in any season since he left Newcastle in 2010-11, and in the last five seasons he's scored six goals in 72 games (admittedly usually as a sub).

Even if he came on a reduced wage it would still be money wasted. (Grabban would be better, I'd say, but can't see him dropping to League One just yet, and wouldn't be surprised if the West Brom link turns out to be true.)

Carroll did play at Reading last season for a very modest £1,000 a week I believe which usually meant being a substitute but a very impactful one which earned him a better money and a short stay at WBA. We are in league one and there are different ways to win games so yes he would almost certainly help us ( and some of our other players) but would he be bothered with a little adventure 

On 20/08/2022 at 23:49, Topram said:

On the Wilks links he was left out today Sheff Wednesday and Peterborough linked with him 

Wilks has decent goals and assists numbers. Shef W fans think they are Nailed on now for top 2 . Peterborough have good strikers . Lots of Rams fans have tipped Collins to get 20 goals this season. Needs to start scoring sooner rather than later.

19 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Wilks has decent goals and assists numbers. Shef W fans think they are Nailed on now for top 2 . Peterborough have good strikers . Lots of Rams fans have tipped Collins to get 20 goals this season. Needs to start scoring sooner rather than later.

Other teams you’d expect to be up there come may are scoring goals, we aren’t yet! If it comes we will be ok if not we will miss out due to it, can tell our defensive shape has been great 

20 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Took Steve Howard 8 games to score his first goal, he didn’t do too bad after that