LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

History has shown that players in League One next year will play at the highest level in the fututre. A good scout and financial backing, not even a lot, will be able to change this club. 

Rooney will be able to attract a lot of good loanees which will help. It's a level that's stuck between a lot of awful and a lot of potential, we just have to make the right decisions on players otherwise we'll be no better off than Sunderland. 

Get any of this wonderful bunch we currently have who wish to stay tied down to new deals (on League 1 appropriate wages).

When their contracts expire, get in Flint, Bardsley, Barkhuizen, Wilks, Dhanda and Telford and have a nip down to Luton to see who they aren't keeping because half of their team is out of contract this summer and they obviously won't be on high wages. 

And finally finish off by asking Kirchner for just a few pennies to bring in Matt Jay and Shadrach Ogie.

Top it off by utilising Rooney's contacts to get in a few decent loans and we're sorted.

See, you don't need a fancy new recruitment team Mr Kirchner ... I've done it for you for free. You're very welcome. 

We will need an experienced midfield general to pull the strings and have a bit of bite. I'd go for Barry Bannan, and look for a strong physical centre forward, another wardrobe type player. I'm assuming Bielek will be gone, hopefully for a decent fee, along with Lawrence as we wont be able to offer him decent terms.

So for me Allsop, Knight, Bird, Thompson, Buchanan and Cashin will be key players for us next season if we can keep them!

I imagine budgets will be very limited, and we wont be paying much in terms of fees.

Edited by Simmo’s left foot

11 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Get any of this wonderful bunch we currently have who wish to stay tied down to new deals (on League 1 appropriate wages).

When their contracts expire, get in Flint, Bardsley, Barkhuizen, Wilks, Dhanda and Telford and have a nip down to Luton to see who they aren't keeping because half of their team is out of contract this summer and they obviously won't be on high wages. 

And finally finish off by asking Kirchner for just a few pennies to bring in Matt Jay and Shadrach Ogie.

Top it off by utilising Rooney's contacts to get in a few decent loans and we're sorted.

See, you don't need a fancy new recruitment team Mr Kirchner ... I've done it for you for free. You're very welcome. 

Barkhuizen and Wilks are good shouts

1 hour ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

We will need an experienced midfield general to pull the strings and have a bit of bite. I'd go for Barry Bannan, and look for a strong physical centre forward, another wardrobe type player. I'm assuming Bielek will be gone, hopefully for a decent fee, along with Lawrence as we wont be able to offer him decent terms.

So for me Allsop, Knight, Bird, Thompson, Buchanan and Cashin will be key players for us next season if we can keep them!

I imagine budgets will be very limited, and we wont be paying much in terms of fees.

Knight is probably one of only a couple of players we can get a good fee for, so I am basing my assumptions on him being off as well.

I'm not wanting to be a mood hoover but think it's important we be realistic. The EFL will have us under stringent financial control with the business plan.

I think I heard the average wage for a League One player is £4.5k a week, our current cap, and assumed likely to be our cap next season - so effectively we're looking at players of average League One quality (obviously hopefully we find a few gems that don't quite know their worth yet). In my mind it sort of means broadly that half of the teams in League One can offer better terms/more money to players than we can. 

Say we tie down a squad of 25 (re-sign-ers and freebies) + plus signing on fees we're looking at a (contractual) spend of £10-20m right off the bat and I'm not sure if this will fit in with the EFL approved business plan.

I think we have to look at this as a very slow rebuild, 5, 10, 15 years sadly.

Re sign any that want to stay on sensible money 

trust the manager on who he wants to bring in 

it will be interesting to see which youngsters arrive from other clubs as I suspect nearly all the youngsters in British football will know if they are good enough they will be given chance to play at Derby County 

I think a lot of fans have already forgotten the financial constraints we are going to be under. If we deviate from the approved business plan then we are in more trouble. Several years of very little cash to spend I'm afraid. I suspect this will mean mainly home grown players and perhaps a few free transfers here and there.

No more big contracts for sure.

The average salary in League One is between £1,700 and £2,500.

The salary cap was scrapped after the players Union appeal so

These are the rules now?

The league will revert to the previous Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP). In League Two, clubs can spend up to 50 per cent of turnover on player-related expenditure, which excludes players under the age of 21.

They receive sanctions for exceeding the SCMP requirement or late submission.

In League One, this rises to 60 per cent of turnover, or 75 per cent of turnover in the year following relegation from the Championship.

Equity can be used to support the turnover, but has to be injected up front

We may though under the business plan be forced to be below even these levels

1 hour ago, Rambalin said:

The average salary in League One is between £1,700 and £2,500.

The salary cap was scrapped after the players Union appeal so

These are the rules now?

The league will revert to the previous Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP). In League Two, clubs can spend up to 50 per cent of turnover on player-related expenditure, which excludes players under the age of 21.

They receive sanctions for exceeding the SCMP requirement or late submission.

In League One, this rises to 60 per cent of turnover, or 75 per cent of turnover in the year following relegation from the Championship.

Equity can be used to support the turnover, but has to be injected up front

We may though under the business plan be forced to be below even these levels

Perhaps get laim delap on loan and kelly gorden not really feature for liverpool apart from odd cup game.

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

it will be interesting to see which youngsters arrive from other clubs as I suspect nearly all the youngsters in British football will know if they are good enough they will be given chance to play at Derby County 

I don’t believe that to be true but the true proof of the pudding won’t be evident until Rooney has been able to sign players he wants.

Playing and giving young players opportunities when it’s all you’ve got is one thing, picking them ahead of seasoned pros is another. 

1 hour ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

I don’t believe that to be true but the true proof of the pudding won’t be evident until Rooney has been able to sign players he wants.

Playing and giving young players opportunities when it’s all you’ve got is one thing, picking them ahead of seasoned pros is another. 

Cashin over Stearman? Buchanan over Forsyth? Suggest it’s about being good enough 

7 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I think a lot of fans have already forgotten the financial constraints we are going to be under. If we deviate from the approved business plan then we are in more trouble. Several years of very little cash to spend I'm afraid. I suspect this will mean mainly home grown players and perhaps a few free transfers here and there.

No more big contracts for sure.

I don't expect any big contracts but Allsop, Davies, Stearman and Morrison are only on 4.5k and surley would accept a similar wage next season? All would be great in League One as well.

9 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I don't expect any big contracts but Allsop, Davies, Stearman and Morrison are only on 4.5k and surley would accept a similar wage next season? All would be great in League One as well.

I tend to think they would be getting more than that next season as there are plenty of clubs who will pay them more especially Allsop Morrison and Davies 

Agree re expectations and I think the thread title hints at the realism required here. I think it's highly unlikely that we will be able to (or even want to) stretch to the bloated wages of premier league bit part players on loan. Assuming that all goes well, we'll still have an EFL approved business plan and budget and every overspend is going to eat into what that means that we can do with other bits of the squad. We are also unlikely to be able to afford anyone of that kind who is much better than what we have, it'd be raw talent without any of the big game experience that some of our lads have and these lads are now battle hardened with lots of first team games under their belts.

I think what we need is a spine of experienced pros to build around plus a blend of existing youth and some up-and-comers who we will have to just take a punt on. Before we had the rug pulled from under us in Jan we were doing really well with what Rooney had managed to gather on frees, blended in with our younger lads and the odd senior pro like Lawrence. Everyone wants the best up-and-comers of course and our scouting has been underwhelming in this regard for a while now. Important that we don't get ahead of ourselves - we don't need to know who will be able to go toe-to-toe with the cream of the PL. To adapt the saying about Stoke, we just need to know who will fancy it on a rainy Tuesday night in Accrington. Our away form has let us down this year and we won't find it much easier next year without a change of approach and some help for our younger players in the form of canny pros who can grind out results.

All the above plus someone who can find the net regularly, preferably helped by a few from midfield and maybe a few set pieces. Small shopping list then....

Even ignoring fees and sticking to wages, Championship players are going to seriously stretch our wage budget so we are going to have to see what we can find in places like Scotland - we've had some excellent value from there in the form of Bryson and Shinnie. We are going to need to do our homework and I get the impression that Rooney is already on this as he has had recruitment discussions with CK already. Ross County who are 5th in the SPL play in front of barely 3-4k notwithstanding Old Firm visitors. Surely some of this sort of player would view us as a hugely tempting destination and could slot in very nicely in a League 1 Team ?

It's going to need some creative thinking to get the right blend of flair and match-winning capability and the sheer bloody mindedness to get over the line in ugly attritional games.