LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Took Steve Howard 8 games to score his first goal, he didn’t do too bad after that 

It would be great to think that we could recruit another Steve Howard, but it's impossible with our financial position. I think we payed £1.0 million for Howard, which at the time was our most expensive signing for a number of years. He did have a slow start, but his goal scoring ability was never in doubt. Unfortunately we don't have a player like that at the club. Goals are going to be a bit scarce, so keeping clean sheets and scraping 1-0 wins will be crucial. 

Edited by europia

Just now, europia said:

It would be great to think that we could recruit another Steve Howard, but it's impossible with our financial position. I think we payed         £1.0 million for Howard, which at the time was our most expensive signing for a number of years. He did have a slow start, but his goal scoring ability was never in doubt. Unfortunately we don't have a player like that at the club. Goals are going to be a bit scarce, so keeping clean sheets and scraping 1-0 wins will be crucial. 

We’ve signed a player in James Collins who scored 25 goals for Luton last time he played in League 1, he then bagged 15 in the championship the following season. Had a bad time at Cardiff but several factors there namely the manager who brought him in they got rid of. Proven at this level and will get goals because he does the right things

Just now, BramcoteRam84 said:

We’ve signed a player in James Collins who scored 25 goals for Luton last time he played in League 1, he then bagged 15 in the championship the following season. Had a bad time at Cardiff but several factors there namely the manager who brought him in they got rid of. Proven at this level and will get goals because he does the right things

Only if he gets the right service, or does he create his goals too?

19 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I knew the point of the statistic, but I am getting a bit fed up of statistics. You can bend them any way you wish. It’s like you now promoting Sibley because of an ‘assist’. Come on, it was a good pass to Hourihane, but hardly an assist given the nature of the goal. That goal was all about Hourihane’s touch, creating a yard of space and ultimately his shooting prowess. The truth is I don’t dislike Sibley, but if you discount one ‘wonder 90 minute performance’ two years ago, his number of goals and assists don’t look overly great, even if he was dribbling in all of them at close to 80% (which he rarely does).  I really can’t see why so many get carried away with thinking Sibley is the solution.

This entire post is a contradiction. You're ''fed up'' of stats, but still measure Sibley's effectiveness in goals and assists...? ?

I used dribbling statistics to show what he offers outside of G/A. His willingness to turn and drive the team forward and not always play safe is refreshing and needed in the squad at the minute. He's a #10 that's more of a midfielder than a forward and that suits the 4231 formation we often deploy, he just needs a run of games to show what he can do.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

This entire post is a contradiction. You're ''fed up'' of stats, but still measure Sibley's effectiveness in goals and assists...? ?

I used dribbling statistics to show what he offers outside of G/A. His willingness to turn and drive the team forward and not always play safe is refreshing and needed in the squad at the minute. He's a #10 that's more of a midfielder than a forward and that suits the 4231 formation we often deploy, he just needs a run of games to show what he can do.

Ah, silly me, thinking that the quantity of goals and quality assists was anything to do with football. Thanks also for explaining in such simple terms what a No. 10 is. If you have time, can you just go over the offside rule thing for me.

29447869-very-stupid-looking-woman-with-thick-glasses-isolated-white-copy-space.webp

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Ah, silly me, thinking that the quantity of goals and quality assists was anything to do with football. Thanks also for explaining in such simple terms what a No. 10 is. If you have time, can you just go over the offside rule thing for me.

29447869-very-stupid-looking-woman-with-thick-glasses-isolated-white-copy-space.webp

I was describing his attributes and playing style as more of a midfielder than a traditional forward, not describing the position itself ?

G/A is still a statistic, and ironically, is the one often used in reductionist rationale to criticise a player who may well offer more to the team than direct goal involvements, hence why your contradiction stood out. Sibley this season has provided dynamism, directness and energy- traits that are largely missing in our midfield atm as neither Bird nor Hourihane are progressive dribblers. That's all I'm saying - you can't say you're ''fed up of statistics'' and then use a stat to bash a player, that's just daft haha

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

I was describing his attributes and playing style as more of a midfielder than a traditional forward, not describing the position itself ?

G/A is still a statistic, and ironically, is the one often used in reductionist rationale to criticise a player who may well offer more to the team than direct goal involvements, hence why your contradiction stood out. Sibley this season has provided dynamism, directness and energy- traits that are largely missing in our midfield atm as neither Bird nor Hourihane are progressive dribblers. That's all I'm saying - you can't say you're ''fed up of statistics'' and then use a stat to bash a player, that's just daft haha

Can I say I'm fed up of you?

16 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Tyler Walker, Macauley Bonne, Saido Berahino , 1 of those 3 for the strikers role

Berahino - the bloke who was so good that Stoke released him with 3 years left on his contract? His former Stoke teammate, Glen Johnson, is reported to have heavily criticised Berahino's attitude at Stoke, singling out his attitude in training, regular lateness and lack of effort. He ended the interview on Talksport by saying "If I was the manager or owner of a football club, I wouldn't take him if you paid me." Was also released by Wednesday after a year...

Bloke's trouble and far from the type of team player that Rosey has brought in so far - be amazed if we went down that route...