Should Rooney be doing better under the current circumstances?

Bris Vegas

Should Rooney be doing better under the current circumstances   

175 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tried making this into a poll.

So yes we have the points deduction and the embargoes. But let’s just forget that for one minute. With the current squad, removing any points deduction, we would be 21st in the ‘alternate table’.

Four wins from 21. 17 goals scored, with just three in our last nine away games.

One win in 11. 

We are the joint second lowest scorers in the league. On the flip side, we have one of the better defensive records with 21 goals conceded in 21 games. I think we’ve only conceded more than once in a game three times this season.

But how would you rate Rooney’s record with this current squad and the current circumstances? Did you expect us to be performing better (results wise)? 

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

AT the moment, with players we have at our disposal now, I would say yes he should be getting more out of Jason Knight, Louis Sibley, and so on.  Early season form seems to have evaporated. 

How does a captain motivate a sinking ship in the middle of the ocean with no life rafts?  I don’t think any manager in world football could do anymore with our situation. 

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

AT the moment, with players we have at our disposal now, I would say yes he should be getting more out of Jason Knight, Louis Sibley, and so on.  Early season form seems to have evaporated. 

Did you see Sibley in the U23s last night?

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

This argument is only going to be resolved if we get another manager in January.

(Assuming we get new owners by then)

How do you work that out? In January things will be different - not necessarily better, maybe worse.

Obviously nothing wrong with debate but I do find the suggestion ridiculous.

This is probably the worst set of circumstances any post-war Derby manager has ever had to manage. On results alone, we are above bottom 3 despite the EFL trying to strangle our squad for the past 2 years & our owner deciding he didn't fancy funding us any longer.

We play decent football albeit without a cutting edge...not surprising as we have no strikers. With regard to Sibley, his first touch has been so poor I wouldn't pick him either. You simply can not get away with that when you're as slow as he is.

And no point discussing overall win stats without considering context. May as well anoint Steve McClaren as our best manager ever on that basis or say Paul Clement was a better manager than Jim Smith or Arthur Cox.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

What’s the point of the thread?

Managing in these conditions is difficult. Not just from a quality of player point of view but from a motivational point of view. It’ll only get harder as the goal gets even less attainable.

I don’t know if anyone else would do better but we have a manager trying to manage a situation that hardly any other manager has had to face. So who do you find with the experience to deal with this situation, answer, no-one.

Rooney needs to get a chance to work without his hands tied behind is back. But from a stat point of view, right now  I think he’s our worst manager ever. I just hope he doesn’t go down in history as that as it would be a bit unfair.

9 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

It's impossible to tell how good/bad he's doing because the circumstances are so extreme.

I still stand behind my opinion that he should have been sacked last season though.

I like Rooney, but I don’t think he should have got the job in the first place. Has he improved the team since he took over from Cocu? I would say not. Certainly not against the background that we still owe Cocu and his team a huge sum of dosh.