Should Rooney be doing better under the current circumstances?

Bris Vegas

Should Rooney be doing better under the current circumstances   

175 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Exactly this! Brilliant off the field but needs to be braver and more forward thinking on it.

Mark O'Brien was interesting in the post-match on Radio Derby, saying we need to change our set up to be more forward thinking, get the ball forward much more quickly and press high. But to do that I think Rooney can't keep filling the team with so many defensively minded players.

Seems he is in the Nigel Clough management school so far. Which I honestly believe is exactly what we need, though given our points deducted, that cautious nature won't get us out, or even close.

My real gripe with Rooney remains the same, a failure to get the best out of Sibley and Jozwiak. He could do better here. 

Interesting that Paul Cook, someone that allot of fans, me included tbh, thought would be the ideal manager for us after Cocu, has just been sacked by Ipswich despite outbidding us for several players in the summer and spending a small fortune for a League 1 club. 

Guaranteed successful appointments in football? There aren't many of those. 

He’s done pretty well in appalling circumstances.

A couple of points that I feel he should change though.

Give Davies the armband. Nothing against Lawrence but Curtis is unquestionably the best leader in that dressing room.

Put round pegs in round holes. don’t just pick your strongest XI, play your strongest team. 
That strongest XI doesn’t include Morrison for me.

4 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

He’s done pretty well in appalling circumstances.

A couple of points that I feel he should change though.

Give Davies the armband. Nothing against Lawrence but Curtis is unquestionably the best leader in that dressing room.

Put round pegs in round holes. don’t just pick your strongest XI, play your strongest team. 
That strongest XI doesn’t include Morrison for me.

Agree with all of that - if we had a genuine centre forward it would be interesting to see how we played 

8 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I would like to know why so many have voted yes. The situation speaks for itself. It's horrendous.

The squad is weak, a bunch of academy players and aging professionals. Virtually no attacking threat. These players aren't half as good as some of you think they are.

If you think back to the start of the season, before administration and all this points deduction crap, we were barely able to field a team. Most people thought we would be in a relegation scrap. If you add the 21 points back on, that's exactly where we are.

I just can't understand the continuous debate about Rooney. Leave him alone. No other manager available to us could do any better in these circumstances. And you're deluded to think otherwise.

It also feels opportunistic.

2 weeks ago we beat previously unbeaten away & top the table Bournemouth. Then followed it up a few days later with a point at top the table Fulham. Unbelievable results.

One last minute defeat to a top 6 side & a narrow defeat to an admittedly poor side later & Rooney's overall record is being dredged up. Little patience & little loyalty to a manager who has carried this club quite frankly since May.

This debate also forgets Rooney's role in attracting investment. I hope people don't kid themselves that his name & contacts haven't made us a much more attractive buy. Folk gnashing their teeth about liquidation on one thread & then demanding better results from a squad this weak is just a staggering lack of lateral thinking.

21 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

It also feels opportunistic.

2 weeks ago we beat previously unbeaten away & top the table Bournemouth. Then followed it up a few days later with a point at top the table Fulham. Unbelievable results.

One last minute defeat to a top 6 side & a narrow defeat to an admittedly poor side later & Rooney's overall record is being dredged up. Little patience & little loyalty to a manager who has carried this club quite frankly since May.

This debate also forgets Rooney's role in attracting investment. I hope people don't kid themselves that his name & contacts haven't made us a much more attractive buy. Folk gnashing their teeth about liquidation on one thread & then demanding better results from a squad this weak is just a staggering lack of lateral thinking.

Well said

In normal circumstances with Rooneys record it is likely Rooney would have been sacked with about 4 games left of last season. He has done nothing to turn that form around this year. As has been said we would be in a relegation battle without the point deduction so in a purely points returned perspective he has not been successful in the slightest.

But…

We have been hamstrung by an embargo, admin,  FFP, injuries to key players. 
It’s a forlorn hope. When the battle is over and we see who have deserted and who we have left and if Rooney is still here then he deserves a chance on an even playing field. 

I think it will be fair to judge at that point.

9 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I would like to know why so many have voted yes. The situation speaks for itself. It's horrendous.

The squad is weak, a bunch of academy players and aging professionals. Virtually no attacking threat. These players aren't half as good as some of you think they are.

If you think back to the start of the season, before administration and all this points deduction crap, we were barely able to field a team. Most people thought we would be in a relegation scrap. If you add the 21 points back on, that's exactly where we are.

I just can't understand the continuous debate about Rooney. Leave him alone. No other manager available to us could do any better in these circumstances. And you're deluded to think otherwise.

Nobody could do any better….in your opinion eh???????

We are heading for League One regardless so he deserves at least another full season with freedom to sign players he wants at that level. If we are in a similar league position this time next year then a discussion needs to be had but right now no manager would be able to save us - we have a rag tag bunch of promising kids, has beens and old stagers trying to do the impossible. 

4 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

In normal circumstances with Rooneys record it is likely Rooney would have been sacked with about 4 games left of last season. He has done nothing to turn that form around this year. As has been said we would be in a relegation battle without the point deduction so in a purely points returned perspective he has not been successful in the slightest.

But…

We have been hamstrung by an embargo, admin,  FFP, injuries to key players. 
It’s a forlorn hope. When the battle is over and we see who have deserted and who we have left and if Rooney is still here then he deserves a chance on an even playing field. 

I think it will be fair to judge at that point.

Very fair post.

Most people seem to want to thank his loyalty and give him that chance, which is understandable.

But I think it is the biggest season we may ever have and he has done little to suggest he has the tactical skills to get us a Promotion. @LeedsCityRamhas just said 'criticism is opportunistic' but I could argue the reverse. One win against a Bournemouth team who were happy to take chances is being highlighted against a background of something like 4 other wins in over 30 matches.

The reaction to any mild criticism of him is more knee-jerk and angry than those who are saying does he have what it takes to turn it round now/after takeover/next season. 

It's a forum for discussion and I personally am bored to tears of analysis of accounts, FFP etc. There is plenty of fulsome praise of Rooney and even his detractors are careful to give him due respect before asking has he got anything wrong, yet even then there is this mocking 'you only come out when we lose' line, which I am finding increasingly incredibly passive aggressive. 

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Lawrence being made captain was Rooneys biggest mistake but apart from that I’m not sure what else he can do. 

Without a consistent goal scorer your inevitably going to lose or draw too many games. 

I suppose he was trying to get more out of Lawrence and at the time we had no one else but at the time I would still have given it to Shinnie although Davies is the logical one now