Should Rooney be doing better under the current circumstances?

Bris Vegas

Should Rooney be doing better under the current circumstances   

175 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think he's making it hard for us to win by playing too defensively,  look at the Bournemouth game and today, try playing tooo much keep ball in the 1st half of both and we invite the opposition into our half and let them know we pose no threat, this leads to increased risk of errors and I'm not with the 'we have no options' brigade.

We played 5 defenders today and 5 midfielders where only 1 is a real attacking threat, and in those,we play players out of position. Knight on the left? He looks limited but more comfortable on the right because of his energy and it's his natural foot. 

The comments about Jozwiak and Sibley being poor this season,  how many times have they been played in their best position 'with' the correct support around them?

Pick the best player available in the position they play, and if that means Plange up front because Stretton is injured and CKR isn't fully fit then so be it, if he wants Festy in the team and wants the width to come from the full backs, play a 5 so the midfielders can play midfield instead of pseudo full backs and keep getting caught out of position! 

I feel he's too stubborn on a system which we don't have the right players available,  his set up needs two quick ball playing CH's and lightning quick strong FB's, 2 Bieliks available for midfield and a world beater up top as they never have any support.

I honestly believe we are better than the results,  trust the kids, play them in the right position and tell them to pass the bloody ball forwards instead of incessantly back!

Edited by Rich84
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

Doing a great job, given our player restrictions we should be adrift at the bottom evenbwithout any points deduction. Players are clearly responding to him (all teams have off games) and he has been exceptional handling this crisis.

Totally agree with handling the offield situation despite me thinking we should be better on the pitch.

Edited by Rich84
Typo

1 hour ago, 24Charlie said:

What’s the point of the thread?

Managing in these conditions is difficult. Not just from a quality of player point of view but from a motivational point of view. It’ll only get harder as the goal gets even less attainable.

I don’t know if anyone else would do better but we have a manager trying to manage a situation that hardly any other manager has had to face. So who do you find with the experience to deal with this situation, answer, no-one.

Rooney needs to get a chance to work without his hands tied behind is back. But from a stat point of view, right now  I think he’s our worst manager ever. I just hope he doesn’t go down in history as that as it would be a bit unfair.

The point is to ask whether fellow supporters feel he is doing a good job in the current circumstances. If the answer is yes then there is a strong suggestion there that our current side is of League One standard.

And therein lies another question, would this current set of players challenge for promotion out of League One?

32 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

I think he's making it hard for us to win by playing too defensively,  look at the Bournemouth game and today, try playing tooo much keep ball in the 1st half of both and we invite the opposition into our half and let them know we pose no threat, this leads to increased risk of errors and I'm not with the 'we have no options' brigade.

We played 5 defenders today and 5 midfielders where only 1 is a real attacking threat, and in those,we play players out of position. Knight on the left? He looks limited but more comfortable on the right because of his energy and it's his natural foot. 

The comments about Jozwiak and Sibley being poor this season,  how many times have they been played in their best position 'with' the correct support around them?

Pick the best player available in the position they play, and if that means Plange up front because Stretton is injured and CKR isn't fully fit then so be it, if he wants Festy in the team and wants the width to come from the full backs, play a 5 so the midfielders can play midfield instead of pseudo full backs and keep getting caught out of position! 

I feel he's too stubborn on a system which we don't have the right players available,  his set up needs two quick ball playing CH's and lightning quick strong FB's, 2 Bieliks available for midfield and a world beater up top as they never have any support.

I honestly believe we are better than the results,  trust the kids, play them in the right position and tell them to pass the bloody ball forwards instead of incessantly back!

Rich nails it and saves me typing a long reply.

2 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Should he be doing better? We are lucky hes even stuck around!!! 

Where would he go? I think he is still pinching himself that e finds himself managing a team like Derby with no previous management experience, coaching experience or badges…..

No .

November to Feb is always a testing time in a hard division where squads get stretched to injuries (Buchanan). We have a squad of veterans (the centre-halves), journeymen (Baldock, Morrison), home-grown players with some experience and others for whom this season is their baptism (Festy, Thompson). 

Contrast with how Ipswich got relegated a couple of seasons ago. At least 13x away defeats by two goals or more. Yes, we still lost but I feel Rooney has had to tailor a system that made us at least competitive & stay in games, so the defense has know-how & experience, the midfield competitive but lacks creativity, the front-line is where we are lacking a real cutting edge. We even suffered this in the days under Clough where we had the likes of Robinson or had to rely on loans. Goal-scorers cost.

I think if we start going trading punches with sides, we could start suffering heavier defeats. You saw it last season with the heavy defeats at the likes of Preston.

The Chelsea analogy makes no sense about playing without a striker. How can you compare the Champions of Europe to us? It's not as if they are without a striker, their main one has been out injured. Our main one was once the Coca Cola kid practically two decades ago.

I do not want to get into arguments, we are all so desperately frustrated, it's as if the football has taken a backburner & the whole existence of the club is under threat. 

There's only one person ultimately to blame & that's Mel More-Risk. If Rooney is expected to squeeze more out of this squad,  how on earth can you then utilize £150m-200m to leave a club under the threat of liquidation?