Should Rooney be doing better under the current circumstances?

Bris Vegas

Should Rooney be doing better under the current circumstances   

175 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

Exactly this, which is why I would have liked a middle option.

I feel like Rooney needs to be braver, but so do his players. 

Off the field, he has been a star. 

Good post.

Stats wise he's a terrible manager, yet the evidence of my own eyes this season is the opposite. 

We've been unlucky, not quite brave enough, and most likely not quite good enough, yet the players are putting a proper shift in and doing as well as they can, so I find it hard to blame the manager for our shortcomings.

I don't think any amount of coaching would extract better performances from what we've got.

Off the pitch, he's far exceeded any reasonable expectations of a rookie manager, or indeed a experienced one given the circumstances.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Where would he go? I think he is still pinching himself that e finds himself managing a team like Derby with no previous management experience, coaching experience or badges…..

Ill reverse that. Who would have even considered managing Derby in this situation? Coaching badges lol...who gives out coaching badges??? What are coaching badges more to the point??? a load of tosh thats what they are. 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Tried making this into a poll.

So yes we have the points deduction and the embargoes. But let’s just forget that for one minute. With the current squad, removing any points deduction, we would be 21st in the ‘alternate table’.

Four wins from 21. 17 goals scored, with just three in our last nine away games.

One win in 11. 

We are the joint second lowest scorers in the league. On the flip side, we have one of the better defensive records with 21 goals conceded in 21 games. I think we’ve only conceded more than once in a game three times this season.

But how would you rate Rooney’s record with this current squad and the current circumstances? Did you expect us to be performing better (results wise)? 

Rooney’s record is appalling and in any other circumstances he would have been sacked.

However, the squad is rubbish and our forwards are rubbish so he gets a reprieve.

8 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Ill reverse that. Who would have even considered managing Derby in this situation? Coaching badges lol...who gives out coaching badges??? What are coaching badges more to the point??? a load of tosh thats what they are. 

When appointing a manager what do you think are the key factors you take in to consideration then? Does being a decent striker suffice ?

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

When appointing a manager what do you think are the key factors you take in to consideration then? Does being a decent striker suffice ?

Go on then enlighten me? What are the key factors? Having a coaching badge? ? You didnt answer anything. Who decides a coaching badge? Whats their qualifications? Paul Cooks coaching badges have helped him today. 

23 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Where would he go? I think he is still pinching himself that e finds himself managing a team like Derby with no previous management experience, coaching experience or badges…..

Dos'nt need to go anywhere, got enough money to live for the rest of his life without lifting a finger. So he deserves some credit for not walking.

53 minutes ago, angieram said:

Exactly this, which is why I would have liked a middle option.

I feel like Rooney needs to be braver, but so do his players. 

Off the field, he has been a star. 

Exactly this! Brilliant off the field but needs to be braver and more forward thinking on it.

Mark O'Brien was interesting in the post-match on Radio Derby, saying we need to change our set up to be more forward thinking, get the ball forward much more quickly and press high. But to do that I think Rooney can't keep filling the team with so many defensively minded players.

53 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

No, obviously, Rooney should be held in the highest regard for a long long time. Who else would have stuck around?

I can imagine there would be a long list of inexperienced managers in their 30s with no previous managerial job on their CV and no badges/qualifications to boot earning £50k+ a week who would stick around, especially if they were unsackable.

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I can imagine there would be a long list of inexperienced managers in their 30s with no previous managerial job on their CV and no badges/qualifications to boot earning £50k+ a week who would stick around, especially if they were unsackable.

As Meatloaf said……you took the words right out of my mouth ?

Rallying the troops for a short period, playing the underdog, getting the odd 'miracle result', great, he's good at that.

Tactically though he still seems pretty poor outside of the initial setup, having an idea of how he wants us to play is good but when it comes to game management, correct subs, reacting to the opposition manager... you can see how out of his depth he is at times.

That not his fault necessarily, he just is, as you might well expect him to be. He's doing his best but his best isn't really good enough.

For all the intent to play good football , actually coming up with a game plan that gets the best out of his attacking players well there's been little to no sign of that in 18 months, and I doubt there will be in another 18 months, not just because of limited options.

He still gets a free pass still this year, thanks for his efforts (most would have said balls to this and deserted us by now), but I simply don't see how he's going to be the right man to get us out of league one so without any clear signs of improvement before we're relegated I'd be disappointed if he was here next season.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Can’t believe he would be anywhere near their shortlist….

It's Everton.

Since Kendall MK1 they've made a thing of always making the wrong decision!

No other PL team could have landed Ancelotti and Rodriguez, and not progressed!

I like to think of them as a PL Derby County.

34 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We are not in a position to fire or hire anyone at the moment whatever their credentials, so i for one am happy he has stuck with us.

I would like to know why so many have voted yes. The situation speaks for itself. It's horrendous.

The squad is weak, a bunch of academy players and aging professionals. Virtually no attacking threat. These players aren't half as good as some of you think they are.

If you think back to the start of the season, before administration and all this points deduction crap, we were barely able to field a team. Most people thought we would be in a relegation scrap. If you add the 21 points back on, that's exactly where we are.

I just can't understand the continuous debate about Rooney. Leave him alone. No other manager available to us could do any better in these circumstances. And you're deluded to think otherwise.

Edited by Rammy03