v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

25 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Sounds like a good match I didn’t see any of it but we have lost games like that in the past.

How did Morrison do?

Hit the wall with a free kick and walloped the rebound in to the back of the net at more or less high velocity armour piercing velocity … Did very well. Covering for young ones and picking nice passes. Got a sweet touch. If we get round pegs in round holes he could be a maestro. 

22 minutes ago, Collo_DCFC11 said:

Not trying to be overly critical as I respect what he brings to the team; just saying what I see. He looks extremely awkward when he has the ball and isn't running with it (if that makes sense) and his technique isn't that of a natural footballer.

But like I said, his pace is frightening and it is nice to see a Derby player that can beat a man for a change; I think he will be a good asset for us and be a very dangerous tool for Rooney to use. We have enough cultured footballers with lots of technical ability so will be a nice balance to have some raw. direct pace!

You perhaps need to pop to SpecSavers. He has lovely technique and control of the ball. He tries too much sometimes or makes the wrong decision, but he's still young in experience.

I was thoroughly entertained by all that.  Lots of positives too.  Some young players getting game time under their belts against ‘fullgrown’ Opponents, Morrison has that touch of craft and guile that we want and Watson seems to be growing in confidence/stature, Festy is raw but he’s a real handful great to watch and I though kamil looked sharper and more effective tonight.

Some six goal thriller, penos, in the hat - what’s not to like?

19 minutes ago, Collo_DCFC11 said:

I am not focused on anything, that's why I have given a balanced view of what I think he brings to the team - both strengths and weaknesses. Apologies if I didn't put the point across properly.

Just replied to @Andicissomething similar to clarify - ' Not trying to be overly critical as I respect what he brings to the team; just saying what I see. He looks extremely awkward when he has the ball and isn't running with it (if that makes sense) and his technique isn't that of a natural footballer.

But like I said, his pace is frightening and it is nice to see a Derby player that can beat a man for a change; I think he will be a good asset for us and be a very dangerous tool for Rooney to use. We have enough cultured footballers with lots of technical ability so will be a nice balance to have some raw. direct pace!'

You say awkward when not running, but if you've watched him in the U23s he also dances past players. Even when his touch is a bit loose (maybe this is what you're referring too?) It still comes back to him every time.

5 minutes ago, jono said:

Hit the wall with a free kick and walloped the rebound in to the back of the net at more or less high velocity armour piercing velocity … Did very well. Covering for young ones and picking nice passes. Got a sweet touch. If we get round pegs in round holes he could be a maestro. 

Dead right. If we have runners, he’ll  find them. Got a bit of class about him. 

31 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

How come Dylan Williams could be registered? Looked class he did

That kid for a scholar, looked very composed and didn’t show fear, I’ve not had chance to read all the comments but I kept saying to my lads he’s having some game for a 17 year old.

We seem to be good at producing full/wing backs, he looks very promising.

Edited by Zag zig

Just got home - first 15 mins were meh but after that thoroughly enjoyed it. Plenty from ebosele, Watson and Hutchison to think they’ve certainly got a part to play and bright futures. Thought sibley looked threatening when we actually got him in the game. Stretton made good runs but didn’t get a lot of service. Morrison looked good but hopefully there’s another level from him - great goal! Kazim just oozes leadership and thought the make shift defence bar two soft goals did a good job most the game. Two games unbeaten, unbelievable scenes. 

21 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

Well said! Ridiculous comment to suggest your best penalty takers go last...If you score your first 3 penalties and your goalie does his job the last 2 penalties wouldn't even need to be taken.!

Not picking on you, Patrick - just saw this post as one of many making the point, while I was scrolling through. For instance here's an analysis https://sci-hub.mksa.top/10.1080/02640410050074331 that specifically examines if it's better to put your best people first for this reason, or to do what the paper concludes which is that the optimal strategy is to put the worst of your 5 designated takes first, then the second-worst, and so on until you have your best taker last. 

Football's about opinions and people will have different ones, but I'd also say all professional sport is about fine margins and it's important to use every little thing to your advantage.

I’m so unbelievably proud of our lads tonight. Rooney was spot on in saying they grew from boys into men during the 90 minutes. So many positives, we not only have extremely talented youngsters, they also have real bravery and character.

Take the first 20 mins out of it when nerves got the better of them, from that point they were outstanding. Festy is frightening!! Must be quickest player in the championship, Watson got better and better and demonstrated his ability to thread a killer pass on numerous occasions, great goal by Hutchinson, Williams at 17 looks a real talent and has improved rapidly in just 10 days since Notts County, the guts of Brown and Watson to take pens and score the best pens of the lot (behind Kazim’s). Sibley showed flashes of what he can do, thought Joz did ok and Allsop after a shaky start was excellent in goal. Then we get to Ravel, we saw the genius with the equaliser but I was more impressed how he was straight to the youngsters after the shootout. Only thing missing was for young Jack to get a goal, thought he struggled on his own up top but really intelligent runs at times, he just needs a goal. 

Thought Rooney spoke brilliantly after the game. Whatever his motivations he definitely cares and he’s committed. I also saw a young exciting footballing side tonight with lots of bottle that I can get behind.

We’ve seen a glimpse of what the future looks like tonight and it’s very encouraging. If Mel sorts his poo out then everything is there to become a force again at this level in the next couple of years. If he doesn’t then we might have to give them all away.

COYR ???????

Edited by BramcoteRam84
COYR???

17 minutes ago, jono said:

He worked hard, made runs, won some corners, made himself available but I don’t think he’s anything like ready.

seriously out muscled, didn’t seem tricky enough to actually get the cross in and Joz was crying out for to do wall passes/give and goes but too often he’d play safe. Morrison was playing left back sometimes as cover and Fozzy had to bail him out at the end. He’s a good lad with the right attitude but he needs time to grow in my opinion. 

Wow. I saw it totally different to you. Thought he had a really good game, always looking for the ball, going forward. Not that easy to get the ball off.

48 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh gawd. Rooney in his interview saying he asked the players who wanted to take the penalties. And that after we put our best penalty takers first in the shootout.

If you follow the science you put your best penalty takers last and you never ever ever ask the players at this stage. 

Got away with it. Surely we have some sports science people at the club?

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Putting your best penalty takers last is like having Mcilroy, Poulter and Donald at 10, 11 & 12 in the Ryder Cup - a fair chance the tie is lost by the time they are still playing.

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

That kid for a scholar, looked very composed and didn’t show fear, I not had chance to read all the comments but I kept saying to my lads he’s having some game for a 17 year old.

We seem to be good at producing full/wing backs, he looks very promising.

I thought he had an excellent game, but didn't get much credit on Sky or on here. How their defender didn't get a card after pulling him back, when clean through, I don't know. Yet another poor display by a referee, who was easily conned by Salford's theatrics and didn't punish their cynical fouls with cards.