Best penalty taker you've ever seen (for the rams that is)

winktheram

Some chat in the Tom Lawrence thread about pennos and Tom's 'panenka', started me thinking about penno takers. 

Gerry Daly was pretty consistent and Deano hit em very well. Can't really remember Hinton's tbh. Read a stat from some German analyst about high and wide were the most likely to be scored. Deano's fit that Bill.

But for me, Alan Biley. Straight down the middle about 6 inches under the bar. Loved his pennos. Best for me, just loved the way he 'wacked em'. 

And an honourable mention to Nathan Ellington as my second fav, the first time I'd seen anyone wait for the keeper and then pea roll it into the other corner. Stoke away in the QF of the league Cup was awesome- never looked nervous and I never thought he was going to miss- utter confidence. 

In terms of the past 20 odd years, I don’t remember Steve Howard missing one. Head down, no pathetic stuttered run up, and just a hard-placed finish into the corner.

Harry Wilson was admittedly good. While our shoot-out win over Southampton in the playoffs 2007 was arguably an example of how to take perfect penalties. Those who stepped up and scored gave the GK no chance, even if he went the right way. Considering the occasion, nerves of steel.

Waghorn missed a couple for us, I believe. He definitely missed one against Swansea and West Brom. I’m not sure if there is others. 

I don’t believe Ellington ever missed a penalty in his career, in no small part to his bizarre technique that just worked. He made it look so easy. No one better than him. 

1 hour ago, Rambam said:

Have you really forgotten Nathan Ellington? Cool as a cucumber. 

I was there also, another rather poor Derby side got a result on one of the coldest boring nights ever - it seemed to take forever for that ball to get over the goal line 

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Southampton in the playoffs 2007 was arguably an example of how to take perfect penalties. Those who stepped up and scored gave the GK no chance, even if he went the right way. Considering the occasion, nerves of steel.

this. every player who walked up i was sure was going to miss, but then hit an  unstoppable penalty. 

7 hours ago, Saul said:

Cool as custard  1 2 3 4 Goal goal goal. 

Job done

Class penalty from TC under huge pressure, then slid on his knees in front of us in the Columbo terrace.

it was never a penalty and how Bobby Davison didn’t get booked for throwing a huge lump of mud at the Rotherham defender in the free kick just before was incredible. 

Steve Buckley took a few from memory and similar to Julian Dicks, just hammered it.

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace