Best penalty taker you've ever seen (for the rams that is)

winktheram

On 01/08/2021 at 23:08, winktheram said:

Some chat in the Tom Lawrence thread about pennos and Tom's 'panenka', started me thinking about penno takers. 

Gerry Daly was pretty consistent and Deano hit em very well. Can't really remember Hinton's tbh. Read a stat from some German analyst about high and wide were the most likely to be scored. Deano's fit that Bill.

But for me, Alan Biley. Straight down the middle about 6 inches under the bar. Loved his pennos. Best for me, just loved the way he 'wacked em'. 

And an honourable mention to Nathan Ellington as my second fav, the first time I'd seen anyone wait for the keeper and then pea roll it into the other corner. Stoke away in the QF of the league Cup was awesome- never looked nervous and I never thought he was going to miss- utter confidence. 

Alan Hinton (I'll excuse you for the Juventus miss) and Charlie George

Talking about ‘the duke’ Ellington I actually met him in the car park of Sainsbury’s of all places during the time he was at Derby and asked him about his penalty technique. 

He said he would keep his eyes on the goalkeepers legs in the slow run up and watch which leg the keeper shifted his weight on and simply stroke the ball into the opposite corner. 

And if the keeper waited until the very last moment he would simply put some pace on the ball because at the stage it’s too late for the keeper to get across. 

Made it sound so simple ! 

On 02/08/2021 at 09:12, Carl Sagan said:

I modelled my technique on Gerry Daly, but his copybook was blotted by the incredible Paul Cooper at Ipswich who was a brilliant penalty saver.

Hinton and Rioch were good, but Alan missing that one against Juve still hurts him and us. 

So many players had early success for us blasting unstoppable pens into the to corner (the perfect spot) only to stop doing that for some reason. Chris Martin and Darren Bent were culprits. I was embarrassed by Lawrence's against non-league County. Felt it was disrespectful and he shouldn't be doing that in a league game so why do it in pre-season?

Mentioning Cooper I recall Derby missing 3 penalties (one twice taken) v Ipswich. Cooper saved all 3. It was on match of the day and finished 1-1.

16 hours ago, cannable said:

I always thought he was average save for having, genuinely, one of the best strikes in all of football. 

I sort of agree when he was played out wide, he seemed easy to isolate and lacked a yard of pace. Personally thought he looked a more complete player when playing as one of three in a midfield where he could pick up pockets of space and get more involved in the interplay in midfield. I suspect long term that's where it will click for him but perhaps needs to physically mature a bit more and for someone to chance on him playing there long term.

On 02/08/2021 at 00:21, AndyinLiverpool said:

Saunders had one saved by Niall Quinn, which leaves quite a big blot on his copy book.

I was there right behind the goal at Maine Road. My mate turned around to me as Quinn saved and said ” We are down then”!

Thoroughly miserable season all round.