Best penalty taker you've ever seen (for the rams that is)

winktheram

9 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Harry Wilson for the one at Leeds.

And talking of pressure penalties.... Waggy, of all people, last game of last season.

Charlie George's penalties always seemed to go in.

Gladys Hinton's record will always be tarnished by the one against Juventus.

Vague memories of Steve Buckley hammering them in.

I loved what Hinton did. Memory may play tricks but most seemed to be larruped into the roof of the net. Recall rioch did the same thing. Like Macguire against Italy. Just hit them hard, hit the target and make sure a guy on each shoulder follows you up. Gives you ulcers watching the cute ones 

I modelled my technique on Gerry Daly, but his copybook was blotted by the incredible Paul Cooper at Ipswich who was a brilliant penalty saver.

Hinton and Rioch were good, but Alan missing that one against Juve still hurts him and us. 

So many players had early success for us blasting unstoppable pens into the to corner (the perfect spot) only to stop doing that for some reason. Chris Martin and Darren Bent were culprits. I was embarrassed by Lawrence's against non-league County. Felt it was disrespectful and he shouldn't be doing that in a league game so why do it in pre-season?

4 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Blackman. He took one incredible penalty, admittedly it was the only one.

His overall career stats are decent as well, 16/20, which is fraction better than the average.

Have to correct myself.

He has so far converted 20/24, which is way above average.

83.33% > 75%

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

In terms of the past 20 odd years, I don’t remember Steve Howard missing one. Head down, no pathetic stuttered run up, and just a hard-placed finish into the corner.

Harry Wilson was admittedly good. While our shoot-out win over Southampton in the playoffs 2007 was arguably an example of how to take perfect penalties. Those who stepped up and scored gave the GK no chance, even if he went the right way. Considering the occasion, nerves of steel.

He did miss one against Fulham in the prem I think or Blackburn and was mighty lucky to not have his one in the first leg at southampton saved. Definitely agree about shoot out win over southampton definition of great penalty taking that night. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I modelled my technique on Gerry Daly, but his copybook was blotted by the incredible Paul Cooper at Ipswich who was a brilliant penalty saver.

Hinton and Rioch were good, but Alan missing that one against Juve still hurts him and us. 

So many players had early success for us blasting unstoppable pens into the to corner (the perfect spot) only to stop doing that for some reason. Chris Martin and Darren Bent were culprits. I was embarrassed by Lawrence's against non-league County. Felt it was disrespectful and he shouldn't be doing that in a league game so why do it in pre-season?

Poundland Ronaldo

In my life, eranio I’m sure scored a few.

idiakez of course, just loved that player.

Harry Wilson albeit for just one season.

i had confidence in all three above.

But all time of course for those two against Real Madrid … Charlie George. Shame I wasn’t alive when he played for us.

9 minutes ago, cannable said:

Surprised how many shouts Idiakez is getting. Always thought he was poo at them. Fully expected him to miss during the Southampton shootout.

I thought people were joking, but now I'm not sure. I loved Idiakez, but he was a liability from the penalty spot. The only player I've ever seen who is more likely to bang in a free kick from 30 yards than score a penalty.

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

For me it was Dean Saunders. Non of this ministry of silly walks cobblers. Head down run up and smack it.

Deano for me too. Smack it down the middle off the ground - keeper misses it as he has dived one way or the other. Would take a brave keeper to stand still when facing a Deano peno.