Jack Wilshere - joined Aarhus

DCFC1388

• 1 month later...

I feel there's a bit of media sympathy bias for Wilshere - "poor jack, he desperately wants to play but no team will take him on because of his injury record".

Reality is plenty of teams would take him if he really wanted to play and would take a pay cut to make it happen. I bet 90% of people (me included) have had to take a job on lower wages than they were previously on due to recessions/redundancy, and I'm certainly not doing something I love!  

I put on here that he was due to arrive for training prior to the season starting but he failed to turn up basically.

for him to sit there and say the championship doesn’t suit his style of play is advertising that he hasn’t got the morale fibre or ability to be successful - the modern day prima dona but actually no where near good enough type and exactly the type you wouldn’t want 

As echoed by others, he still thinks of himself as the player at Arsenal all those years ago. He's unfortunately not that any more. He was well within his right not to come here, as we know it was a complete basket case summer with embargos, restrictions, etc. 

Rooney has done extremely well to do what he has, but I can't blame players for not wanting to be here. Wilshere will obviously need to come to a decision in his own head. He could get a deal with a Championship club, not necessarily us, perhaps even look at options in League One. I'd imagine the MLS could be a good option for him. A technical league, moved at a much slower pace, with high end facilities. 

He won't ever be a Premier League player again, not without some outstanding work from his agent anyway. 

In some ways I kind of feel for him, it must be difficult to have played against the world's best for a time and do well then the injuries hit, you slow down, and suddenly you're not the player you were. He clearly still thinks that he's better than what's on offer but the sad reality for him is not many clubs are going to be in for a 29 year old who 'doesn't fancy it' at second division clubs and is made of glass. 

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

In other words I didn’t want to play for £4.5k a week! Don’t bother coming back in January sicknote 

He also said that Arsenal will finish in the top 6. Based on that, I’d be more worried about his mental health than his physical health. 

I have some sympathy for him, talented player that’s had his career destroyed by injuries, when your body can’t handle it that must be hard to take, watching other players carve out Premier League careers that are not a patch on him will be gut wrenching.

He has a young family, will be settled down South, was given an opportunity miles away to come and train in the hope of being given 4.5k to play in a Championship relegation scrap until January with a load of kids, then hope the EFL will let you stay until May?

I respect him more for not taking it if it wasn’t a challenge he was up for, doesn’t make him a bad player or person, this just wasn’t for him, fair play. Did we really want him to take it as it was the only offer when his heart wasn’t in it?

We ‘re all sat here thinking it would be a dream to play for Derby, although outside, it’s a messy situation.

Let’s be honest as well, it would have been a risk, as was Ravel with the game time they have played, how many risks could we take on when limited to how many we can bring in?

Hope he gets an opportunity to prove himself at a club which is the right fit for him, still young enough to get a few more seasons out of him if he can put his injury nightmare behind him.

2 hours ago, David said:

I have some sympathy for him, talented player that’s had his career destroyed by injuries, when your body can’t handle it that must be hard to take, watching other players carve out Premier League careers that are not a patch on him will be gut wrenching.

He has a young family, will be settled down South, was given an opportunity miles away to come and train in the hope of being given 4.5k to play in a Championship relegation scrap until January with a load of kids, then hope the EFL will let you stay until May?

I respect him more for not taking it if it wasn’t a challenge he was up for, doesn’t make him a bad player or person, this just wasn’t for him, fair play. Did we really want him to take it as it was the only offer when his heart wasn’t in it?

We ‘re all sat here thinking it would be a dream to play for Derby, although outside, it’s a messy situation.

Let’s be honest as well, it would have been a risk, as was Ravel with the game time they have played, how many risks could we take on when limited to how many we can bring in?

Hope he gets an opportunity to prove himself at a club which is the right fit for him, still young enough to get a few more seasons out of him if he can put his injury nightmare behind him.

4.5k a week is still shed loads of money. He's been whining in the media frequently about not being able to find a club, not being able to find work, and then openly admits he just didn't fancy a job he was offered. Ultimately that's his choice, but I struggle to find an ounce of sympathy. 

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

4.5k a week is still shed loads of money. He's been whining in the media frequently about not being able to find a club, not being able to find work, and then openly admits he just didn't fancy a job he was offered. Ultimately that's his choice, but I struggle to find an ounce of sympathy. 

It is for you and me, but a player that has been on a hell of a lot more than that. 4.5k is peanuts even for Championship players these days

If he’s serious about still having a career, he could have used us to put himself in the shop window to move on to bigger and better things. Clubs are hardly queuing up for his services are they ?

18 thousand quid a month and it’s not quite what he fancies ? A good kick up the arse and a reality check is what he needs.

His in a similar situation to the one George Thorne found himself in.

Talented but injuries have take their toll.

Thorne went to Oxford and pretty much played for nothing to try and resurrect his career, fair play to him.

This guy turns down Championship football and then wonders why no ones interested. 

Hes in for a shock in January!

On 25/10/2021 at 14:39, Ghost of Clough said:

I wouldn't say no to seeing the comments on Huddlestone turning our offer down and not playing any football for an entire season.

Had no issue with Huddlestone turning down the contract we offered him, that's his prerogative. But unlike Wilshere, I can't recall Huddlestone sobbing on the radio that no club had come in to sign him.

As for Wilshere not wanting to play for us, I couldn't be more pleased. He appears to be more interested in money than he does about playing football for what ever club he deems illustrious enough to sign him.

Also we've recently had more than our fair share of "care in the community" players like Bobby Duncan and Jorden Ibe. Players that were never going to repay the club for the opportunity we gave them to rebuild their career and ended up being nothing more than a burden to our wage bill.