The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

14 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think Denmark were better than that. They had quite long periods of making us look pedestrian and easily cut through. 

There were passing movements that were one touch, rapid and almost brilliant but often one final touch was a bit off. 

They completely ran out of steam. Played the 2nd half of et with 10 men. And let's not forget we have a considerable home advantage. 

Compared to the 3-0 stuffing we handed out in wc 2002 that was far closer. 

They deserve great credit for the way they played and we should not be under any illusions that we can blow that level of team away. 

Italy is going to be tough. 

I totally get what you are saying but on the simple stats of possession and number of saves the respective keepers had to make, we deserved that. Taking nothing away from a skilled Danish side, the best team won on the night. 

5 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Mason Mount...........top bloke!

Fast forward 24 hours... Mason Mount quarantined with covid

Fast Forward 48 hours... 7 England players quarantined with covid

Fast Forward 72 hours... Entire England squad quarantined with covid

Fast Forward 96 hours... Italy awarded Euro 2020

? 

It was a penalty. Soft I agree, but he was touched - like it or not it's the modern game.  Could argue Kane should have had one too.  

Anyway, I don't care.  After all the bad luck we've had over the years, (including the so-called Hand of God goal) it's about time we had something go our way.  All the negative comments make me laugh.  Everyone hates us - so be it.  We have a genuinely good side right now who are in the final on merit.  Southgate's played a system designed to not lose, and it's worked.

One more game, that's all we need. Italy will be a different proposition, but we have the players to win this.  They're great defensively (almost as old as our potential defence for the coming season) but not that quick - get Sterling, Saka, Sancho, Foden or Grealish running at them and I think we'll tear 'em up. 

Kudos Denmark who are no mugs.  And a big nod to Schmeichel - great keeper, kept his side in it several times.  Probably should have held Kane's poor penalty (oh well!). 

Roll on Sunday - can't wait ?

When you look at what people are saying you realise that England might actually win this thing

Usually it's that they'll bottle it or they'll get beat by the first decent team etc etc

Now it's laser pens and controversy about a penalty. Things are getting desperate

Come Sunday it will be Italy had to play slightly up hill in the first half and against the wind in the second.

Unless they win with 1 shot and a huge deflection in the 95th minute and then it will be England just aren't good enough. 

4 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

They need to find the knob Ed with the laser pen and ban him for life from every football ground in the county and if he’s got a ticket for the final give it me.

There must have been people near him who could have reported him.  What gets into their minds to make this in any way acceptable 

Denmark are tough customers and have an excellent record in the past few years which is why they are a top 10 team. I did fear the worst after the free kick as thought they can sit deep and break on us which is what they're really built for tbh. But this was a mature performance that gives me hope we can actually beat Italy. Sterling, Grealish, and Foden are absolute menaces and Kane is getting into his stride at the right time. The way we move and keep the ball is very good grinding teams down as we did to denmark needs to be replicated against an ageing Italian backline.

Sunday is something for everyone to enjoy and not be too disappointed if football once again doesn't come home. The Italians look excellent and will start as the rightful favourites atm. But this tournament gives me a lot of hope for next year's world cup- we've shown we can handle big occasions against different types of teams and what Southgate has done since he's taken over should not be forgotten about if we lose the final. 

It's the Italian cbs who are ancient, the full backs are young. 

It's quite an even match I think. 

For me, it's never been about England definitely won't win it etc....it's our national obsession with blowing smoke up their collective bottoms if they do. 

We've got a solid system that broadly works, we've had factors in our favour that are unique to this tournament. We're solid, relatively unspectacular and got a couple of breaks last night. 

All fine. But to listen to some, a win makes the team superior to the great Brazilian 1970 team with 1986 Maradona on the bench. 

We seem incapable of appreciating the success for what it is..... Hard working, bits of skill, togetherness and teamwork. Playing to our strengths and using our advantages we'll - and recognising that we've been close enough often enough to be due a bit of fortune. 

1 hour ago, Ken Tram said:

I've just seen the video of the laser being shone at Schmeichel!

It seemed to go in his eye.

My initial reaction is that we should offer the Danes a penalty shoot-out.

He saved the penalty. So it didn’t even work to out him off. Probably put Kane off more. 

and the penalty - car checked it, what more does anyone want. If we had car for a number of our matches in the past, they would have easily ruled out various goals against, or rules in goals for, history could have been very different. 

this wasn’t even a dodgy call that in hindsight was wrong. It was double checked at the time.