The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I really hope the Derby stewards expect my £20 bribe when we play Huddersfield on Aug 7th………to let me out early when we’re 3-0 down !!!!

This  is nothing new, we used to slip a bent steward a fiver back in the 80s at the BBG and he'd let us all in the popside without tickets

Oh happy days.

You could be as racist as you liked back then too - bloody progress and it's "buy your own tickets" and "treat all human beings with dignity and respect" nonsense! 

My wife (zero interest in football) just showed me a video she took of my reaction when Saka missed the last penalty….she saved It because she thought “It was one of the Other team, ones, that I was happy they missed tears of joy”…. It made me want to throw up….she had watched the entire game with me and still didn’t know which colour shirt England were in…( think what confused her was I had an Italy 90 England shirt on-white but with the words Italia 90 on It..) 

Happy enough in Stockholm.

The night we lost to mighty football nation Iceland was up there as one of the ones that hurt the most. My social media exploded with people guffawing for hours and days at the laughing stock that had become England national football team. I hurt really badly about that... I remember thinking that I just would like for England to compete at least to a decent level given the players at our disposal. Not too much to ask surely. And remember this happened not so long ago. 

Since then under Gareth Southgate we have come on leaps and bounds. We have indeed competed to a good level in all competitions and brought in some fantastic players to watch. Our junior International football going great too so I hope there are more youngsters like Mount, Saka, Foden to come through. 

Also, the whole atmosphere and culture around the England camp is enjoyable and its a pleasure to watch these young lads on interviews etc. 

Sure we can debate the plan, style, systems and penalty takers for months... but if you had told me the day after the Iceland debacle that I was about to watch a world cup semi final and european championship final with England in them, well, I would have snapped your hand off. 

I suspect and hope there is a competetive national team for the next decade. 

4 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Happy enough in Stockholm.

The night we lost to mighty football nation Iceland was up there as one of the ones that hurt the most. My social media exploded with people guffawing for hours and days at the laughing stock that had become England national football team. I hurt really badly about that... I remember thinking that I just would like for England to compete at least to a decent level given the players at our disposal. Not too much to ask surely. And remember this happened not so long ago. 

Since then under Gareth Southgate we have come on leaps and bounds. We have indeed competed to a good level in all competitions and brought in some fantastic players to watch. Our junior International football going great too so I hope there are more youngsters like Mount, Saka, Foden to come through. 

Also, the whole atmosphere and culture around the England camp is enjoyable and its a pleasure to watch these young lads on interviews etc. 

Sure we can debate the plan, style, systems and penalty takers for months... but if you had told me the day after the Iceland debacle that I was about to watch a world cup semi final and european championship final with England in them, well, I would have snapped your hand off. 

Yeah people forget that in 5 years we have gone from being the embarrassment of Europe and being beat by Iceland to a World Cup semi final, a nations league semi final and as close to winning the Euros as you can possibly get.

Sir Gareth should be made prime minister, King, Chairman of the FA and The One Show presenter. 

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Yeah people forget that in 5 years we have gone from being the embarrassment of Europe and being beat by Iceland to a World Cup semi final, a nations league semi final and as close to winning the Euros as you can possibly get.

Sir Gareth should be made prime minister, King, Chairman of the FA and The One Show presenter. 

On a side note... I see you have Tampa Bay Rowdies as your photo. I went over to play ” soccer” in New Jersey late 1970s with Ashbourne Junior Rams for a few weeks. We were taken by our hosts to Giants Stadium to watch New York Cosmos play v Minnesota Kicks. Such a fantastic never to be forgotten experience. 

Cosmos had Kaiser Franz, Carlos Alberto, Neeskins, Dennis Tuart, Steve Hunt, Chinaglia, Werner Roth playing for them. Pele was injured but at the game.

For Minnesota was one Frederick Charles George.

We also got to meet Eusabio. 

I remember years later someone saying ” look...theres Paul Green or Ted McMinn or Paul Blades and me thinking...yeah right”.

35 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

On a side note... I see you have Tampa Bay Rowdies as your photo. I went over to play ” soccer” in New Jersey late 1970s with Ashbourne Junior Rams for a few weeks. We were taken by our hosts to Giants Stadium to watch New York Cosmos play v Minnesota Kicks. Such a fantastic never to be forgotten experience. 

Cosmos had Kaiser Franz, Carlos Alberto, Neeskins, Dennis Tuart, Steve Hunt, Chinaglia, Werner Roth playing for them. Pele was injured but at the game.

For Minnesota was one Frederick Charles George.

We also got to meet Eusabio. 

I remember years later someone saying ” look...theres Paul Green or Ted McMinn or Paul Blades and me thinking...yeah right”.

That sounds amazing. Yeah unfortunately these days the class of the imported players isn’t quite so high…although we have got to see Joe Cole (who was miles better than anyone on the field), and a certain Wayne Rooney (who was also miles better than anyone on the pitch)  and Tony Pulis and Kenny dalgleish kids are both managers over here.! 

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Me and a mate were wondering the other day if we'd rather have an England team consistently making the semis/finals of major tournament for a decade or winning one, but going average again for 10 years after?

Think the latter option is more like a decade of hurt. Can't imagine many people saying "we've got knocked out in the group stage again, but at least we won Euro 2020" after failing at Euro 32 in Kazakhstan.

47 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Me and a mate were wondering the other day if we'd rather have an England team consistently making the semis/finals of major tournament for a decade or winning one, but going average again for 10 years after?

Think the latter option is more like a decade of hurt. Can't imagine many people saying "we've got knocked out in the group stage again, but at least we won Euro 2020" after failing at Euro 32 in Kazakhstan.

Nah I’d 100% take the win. I want to see us win something in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

That sounds amazing. Yeah unfortunately these days the class of the imported players isn’t quite so high…although we have got to see Joe Cole (who was miles better than anyone on the field), and a certain Wayne Rooney (who was also miles better than anyone on the pitch)  and Tony Pulis and Kenny dalgleish kids are both managers over here.! 

Its only as I got older that I fully appreciate what an experience that was for us young uns. 

I did see an MSL game at Yankee Stadium a few years ago as a guest of former Derby County CEO Tom Glick. That day was way way too hot to be sitting out anywhere watching sport though.

Frank Lampard and Kaka played in that game. Mrs Stockholm came along and was not impressed with The Bronx!, 

58 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Thats a tough one. Im knocking on in years so id love to see us win something, but I appreciate thats a selfish answer.

If we can say that England builds and builds and develops in the next ten years and then wins everything there is to win... I go with that option.

Similar is Derby. Me personally if you said you can have one FA Cup final win in the next year or two but the caviat is that you wont see the premier league in my life time... Im all for a day out at Wembley and bringing THE cup home.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I’d take a win then another 56 years of hurt any day. That one euphoric moment of pure joy, that one day of winning. A World Cup or Euros win or a Derby FA cup or Premier league win in our lifetime, what a moment that would be.