The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

Athletic reporting Ward - Prowse set to miss out as well. 

So only 6 midfielders which include the just returning Jordan Henderson. If Southgate insists on his double pivot he really only has 3...Henderson, rice and Kalvin Phillips. 

Seems a bit risky to me, unless he's thinking 433 with a single cdm for some matches. 

9 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Athletic reporting Ward - Prowse set to miss out as well. 

So only 6 midfielders which include the just returning Jordan Henderson. If Southgate insists on his double pivot he really only has 3...Henderson, rice and Kalvin Phillips. 

Seems a bit risky to me, unless he's thinking 433 with a single cdm for some matches. 

Bellingham can play deep as well.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Bellingham can play deep as well.

He's not what I would describe as a natural cdm tho. A bit like when some of our managers played will hughes there. 

If Southgate starts playing people not in their best position just to slavishly adhere to "his" style and formation then he can go and do one..... 

Can't believe PLAYER NAME hasn't made it!!!!!!!11!!11!

In all seriousness, an actual tough selection for Southgate is nice change from previous years.

Seems like; Greenwood, Lingard and Ward-Prowse are out with one of Johnstone/Ramsdale as well.

Last three to go probably TAA, Saka and Watkins? Not sure, that leaves 7 players that can play centre back.  

Pre-squad announcement has to be the most stupid thing of any tournament so far. Just done to create more twitter posts and ensure the live feeds continue to roll.

Just pick yer team.

Not sure why they have to "have a difficult conversation" with players who aren't picked. Just ring the people who made it. If you ain't had a call by Friday 11th June guess what? You aren't in the squad. 

I hope England win it (obviously), but can't see us getting beyond the quarters (think we're likely to meet Portugal/France/Germany at that stage if we win the group) and wouldn't be at all surprised if we lost to Croatia and could only manage a point in the final two games to ensure national outrage as we come 3rd in the group (we'll still not be bad enough to finish below the Jocks).

Seems quite an open tournament. France clearly have a strong side, Portugal likewise. Germany and Spain seem to be written off as "not what they were", forgetting that they were World Cup winners very recently but both starting line ups at least look as strong as ours if not better and their coaches are probably better too. They're also at home for a fair few games.

Sick of the England are favourites tag as though it means something... just means the bookies make more money when we don't win it and lose less if we do!

Italy and Belgium are hard to predict but have been on great runs prior to the tournament.

Looking forward to it.

Edited by JoetheRam

17 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Pre-squad announcement has to be the most stupid thing of any tournament so far. Just done to create more twitter posts and ensure the live feeds continue to roll.

Just pick yer team.

Not sure why they have to "have a difficult conversation" with players who aren't picked. Just ring the people who made it. If you ain't had a call by Friday 11th June guess what? You aren't in the squad. 

I hope England win it (obviously), but can't see us getting beyond the quarters (think we're likely to meet Portugal/France/Germany at that stage if we win the group) and wouldn't be at all surprised if we lost to Croatia and could only manage a point in the final two games to ensure national outrage as we come 3rd in the group (we'll still not be bad enough to finish below the Jocks).

Seems quite an open tournament. France clearly have a strong side, Portugal likewise. Germany and Spain seem to be written off as "not what they were", forgetting that they were World Cup winners very recently but both starting line ups at least look as strong as ours if not better and their coaches are probably better too. They're also at home for a fair few games.

Sick of the England are favourites tag as though it means something... just means the bookies make more money when we don't win it and lose less if we do!

Italy and Belgium are hard to predict but have been on great runs prior to the tournament.

Looking forward to it.

Yea its not pretty

Win the group and play the runner up of - Hungary, Portugal, France, Germany

Runner up in the group and play the runner up of - Spain, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That would be pretty shoddy and cowardly management IMO.

But why are players expecting to be called up to be told they're not involved?

His only concern should be the 26 he actually wants. Did he call up every English player before he made his list of 33 to tell them they weren't going to involved? If he did, I'm still waiting on him calling me to tell me to cancel my plans.

Just bought my Panini sticker album. I’ve not had one since I was a kid. I’m hoping it’ll get my kids interested. 

this is how you can end up with a weird second team though ‘turkey have always been my second team because they had a shiny sticker in my first panini sticker album.’

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Judging by your posts on here, I think you'll have reached that conclusion about Southgate long before he plays Bellingham in a double pivot.?

Not really. The office of the England manager has long been a pr or stakeholder manager post first and foremost, and Gareth Southgate is absolutely fine at that. 

Do I think he's a good coach? Nah. 

If you had a good coach would it make a difference....marginal.

The best thing he could do is smile nicely, make sure he ingratiates himself with the league management by not burdening the players with different tactics lest they become confused and let players run around doing what they're good at to keep the public and media onside. 

When the England manager starts to think they're cleverer than they need to be that's when problems start. 

I reckon the players treat it as a bit of a break. 

Southgate is just the latest patsy. Just needs to keep it simple for all. My only issue with his style is it is one dimensional and dull.