The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

11 minutes ago, jono said:

Denmark were brave, gutsy and never stopped fighting but we deserved that. Best team won.

What a night we have coming 

I think Denmark were better than that. They had quite long periods of making us look pedestrian and easily cut through. 

There were passing movements that were one touch, rapid and almost brilliant but often one final touch was a bit off. 

They completely ran out of steam. Played the 2nd half of et with 10 men. And let's not forget we have a considerable home advantage. 

Compared to the 3-0 stuffing we handed out in wc 2002 that was far closer. 

They deserve great credit for the way they played and we should not be under any illusions that we can blow that level of team away. 

Italy is going to be tough. 

1 minute ago, SKRam said:

Individuals like that are vermin in the truest sense. It’s the side of football I detest. These are a few, still too many, but the minority though

I know. I have been trying to speak for you guys in here after the Germany game incident with pretty poor results I'm afraid. I used to travel a lot on away games with my ice hockey team 30 years ago and it always took about five idiots on away game to piss all the home fans against all of us. 

1 minute ago, Cisse said:

I know. I have been trying to speak for you guys in here after the Germany game incident with pretty poor results I'm afraid. I used to travel a lot on away games with my ice hockey team 30 years ago and it always took about five idiots on away game to piss all the home fans against all of us. 

Winning at any cost is not for me, having heard and witnessed some awful stuff over the years at football matches. I only saw a glimpse of the German youngster incident. Does us no favours I agree. 

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think Denmark were better than that. They had quite long periods of making us look pedestrian and easily cut through. 

There were passing movements that were one touch, rapid and almost brilliant but often one final touch was a bit off. 

They completely ran out of steam. Played the 2nd half of et with 10 men. And let's not forget we have a considerable home advantage. 

Compared to the 3-0 stuffing we handed out in wc 2002 that was far closer. 

They deserve great credit for the way they played and we should not be under any illusions that we can blow that level of team away. 

Italy is going to be tough. 

Denmark are ranked 10th in the World - above Germany, and will stay there by getting to the last 4 of this competition. You're never going to completely control a game against opponents of such quality. 

We were better than them. We dominated for large periods against a very good team. We should be proud of that performance. 

2 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Winning at any cost is not for me, having heard and witnessed some awful stuff over the years at football matches. I only saw a glimpse of the German youngster incident. Does us no favours I agree. 

On the other hand I don't really appreciate people who bash all the England fans as racist for some stupid comments by a few. Labeling all the England fans for racists is racist in my book. 

Lemme guess, Denmark deserved better, we were lucky, not a penalty, shouldn't have taken Grealish off....

If you can't enjoy this I feel sorry for you. 

Denmark created very little and scored from soft free kick. It wasn't a penalty but the one on Kane was. Sterling Still shutting people up! Grealish off and we still created a great chance and it was a walk in the park at the end

Denmark ain't bad but they were never winning that. Didn't do anything like enough 

Just finished watching it myself - I always have to pop out at 9:30pm so record the match, avoid the result and watch it 'live' when I get back.  

My immediate reactions are that we bossed the last 15 mins of normal time and despite the soft penalty felt the result, I felt, was inevitable.  After taking the lead we completely controlled the match to the point with about 5 mins left Denmark barely touched the ball - yes they were down to 10 men by then but it was still a confident display ?

Southgate is keeping up his run of getting every major decision right, taking Grealish off could have come back to haunt him.  I felt mount was unlucky to go off as well, his set pieces are much better than Foden's who keeps hitting the first man.  

Looking forwards to the final now, although its going to be a lot tougher than what we've faced so far - but its a one off match so COME ON ENGLAND!!!

EDIT: 

Having seen the penalty again, Schmeicel will be having a sleepless night about that - so close to smothering it and not giving Kane the chance of the rebound, but the pressure was mounting tbh, a goal was coming regardless.

Edited by maxjam

I didn’t take England’s chances seriously because I knew the media were making too much of us beating a mediocre group, Germany and Ukraine, whilst Italy were outplaying the mighty Belgium and overcoming a classy Spain team.

But the thing is, we’re in the final without really hitting the heights. Our best players have scarcely played. 

Our manager has stayed calm and resisted the knee jerk selections we would all have made.

Suddenly we’re 90 minutes away. Italy were lucky against Spain and looked tired come the end. 

I have always thought Italy would win it but tonight I thought we managed the game well. There was no panic when we went behind and no panic when we went ahead.

I think this could be a very special weekend.

6 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

All this rubbish on social media about the penalty, if the Danes didn't have a world class keeper in goal they'd have lost by 3 goals. England fully deserved to win.

Yes brother!! 

Maguire, Kane, Sterling x3, Mount all with better chances than anything Denmark came up with

England fans insecurity and nerves might have made it seem a lucky win but all the luck was man made. Kane following up the penalty is him doing his job. 

Sterling of course has to be criticised every game. Must really hurt so many people that the guy is a huuuuuge success and on this huge occasion he was absolutely epic

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

England did deserve to win. Denmark were good, played well and even though england were on top more as the game wore on they were resilient and determind.

You'll never convince me that wasn't a dive though.

Hmmm I’ll try. 

I think what sways the decision is that Jensen isn’t in control of his body when he comes in. It might just be a nudge but it’s enough with Sterlings momentum to be knocked to the ground. It’s maybe soft, but it’s not the most sensible way to defend in your own box either. BUT ON TOP OF THAT, if Jensen doesn’t do anything then Sterling is in.

Im maybe one too many beers in, but that’s how I am trying to interpret it.

TL:DR it’s as much as a peno as the Denmark FK was a FK

2 hours ago, dog said:

Anyone enjoying this?

Yup. Best England atmosphere ever. Got lucky and took possibly a once in a lifetime chance.

Really wondered why Grealish went off, hated him against us but he relieves pressure drawing fouls; fortunately Southgate keeps making the right roles of the dice.

Nice to go to Wembley and leave happy for once. 

Its coming home.

2C07F22D-AD81-47D4-A1D2-563249A2DD8F.jpeg

I think Sterling dived. I think it's a terrible display of cheating. 

But, he was also insanely good, tormented them all game, has to play twice as well as anyone else to get some love and is in much need of some love. 

So feck it. Not dwelling on that penalty. Kane should have had one and their free kick was soft. 

They really were never going to win that. 

You make your own luck, only one team wanted to win that before penalties.

Also if by any slim chance anyone on here has final tickets and can’t go I’ll happily snap them up (but not for the £5k that they’re been sold for online!).