Derby County Administration (with the slight possibility of Liquidation still there)

therams69

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

So again, which clubs do you think are well run, other than Leicester? Are Burnley well run? They're treading water and not investing, like Newcastle, and yet I'd argue all day that they're well run.

They were a well run club before the new owners took over, will wait and see how things turn out at Burnley.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/burnley-us-takeover-has-left-club-90m-worse-off-and-loaded-with-debt 

50 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Latest comparable figures per population of the actual cities in 2019 was approx.

Newcastle 300,820

Derby  258,740.

However if you want to include the surrounding areas Chad, Littleover, Alvaston etc and Gateshead, Manors, Byker etc then Newcastle is approx 3 times the population of Derby.

And over 50k of Newcastle's population is uni students.

Ashley ran Newcastle like a business, which could benefit their new owners, who can reportedly spend up to £200 million on transfers without triggering financial fair play issues.

He also claims he didn't sell the club to the highest bidder, but to the best party for the Magpies.

Ashley told The Sun: “I would like it known that I received a higher offer for the club than the one I accepted.

“It was from another reputable bidder who made a good case.

ashley felt the current new owners' bid was best for Newcastle United.

“Money wasn't the only concern. 

I stepped in financially to keep Newcastle United afloat.

“We made sure the bills were paid when we fell so we could rise again.

“Nobody was happier than me when we got promoted immediately.”

given the clubs current situation I think Ashley could well be the right owner for Derby.

How did our super fan Mel morris work out for the club.

7 hours ago, DerbyGeordie said:

Hi all,

Newcastle fan here. Been going to Uni of Derby for 2 years now (in my final year) and after hearing and reading what's went on at the club in the last few years I've grown a bit of a soft spot for DCFC. Saw that you were linked with Ashley taking over, now, I am aware that as a club you're probably in the worst state you've ever been in. Ever. In administration, a potential risk of going into liquidation, absolutely criminal that could happen to your club, as to me its still a good sized club with standing in English football. Ashley seems like a ticket out, financial stability. But, and I have to say after reading some of the posts on here which are terribly incorrect, the man is/was an utter parasite.

Where we were as a club before Ashley was probably where Spurs, West Ham are now. Promoted to the Premier League in 1993, finished 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 5th and 7th in the period before Ashley took over, regulars in Europe, played 3 seasons of Champions League football. Won nothing obviously, but we had genuine hope. Ashley takes over in 2007, within 2 years we're relegated. We bounce back due to the quality of the squad we had at the time, stay in the Premier League for another 6 seasons (3 of which were relegation battles) and get relegated again. The second relegation, we had a wage bill the size of a midtable PL club in the Championship and had Rafa Benitez in charge so we bounce straight back again. Since then we've been fighting relegation again, Rafa leaves due to no ambition at the club beyond staying up; his replacement summing up that ambition which even he is making an arse of.

Now I know it's rich to come on here and complain about doing nowt more than staying in the PL given your situation, but this is all relative. Our two promotions Ashley lucked out at the squad and managers present there at the time and we only had to get promoted because of beyond tragic management from Ashley in the first place.

The whole 'he's a good business man' and 'got Newcastle financially sound' is a myth. Part of £300m fee paid for the club from the consortium on Thursday will have partly been made up my interest free loans Ashley took out from the club; taking money out so to speak. Our commerical revenue was greater than Spurs, Everton and West Ham before Ashley took over, now clubs like Brighton & Hove Albion are millions ahead. Across his 14 years his net spend is +£10m which in the PL scheme of things is peanuts.

I see why you may want him, you'd probably take almost anyone and I don't blame yous for that. But he is not a good football club owner and the perception that he was good for us is so far wide of the mark is untrue. He has set us back years and this golden ticket we've been given will see that, as it'll be years until we're on a level footing with Spurs, Everton, West Ham and Villa.

The trouble is that we aren’t in Spurs or West Ham’s position, we’re in Bury, Macclesfield and Bolton’s position. 

As a club we also don’t expect to be in the top half of The Premier League every season. 

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

Latest comparable figures per population of the actual cities in 2019 was approx.

Newcastle 300,820

Derby  258,740.

However if you want to include the surrounding areas Chad, Littleover, Alvaston etc and Gateshead, Manors, Byker etc then Newcastle is approx 3 times the population of Derby.

Are you aware that Chad, Littleover, & Alvaston are included in the Derby city  population figures? They’re all within the city boundary…..

6 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Brighton, Southampton, Leeds, Villa, Burnley, Brentford are all well run clubs. 

The problem with Newcastle is that there has been no clear strategy, unlike the club mentioned above. They have a huge fanbase and with that comes expectation. The club just haven't looked like delivering anything of any substance. They've been relegated twice, close to the drop many times and survived in spite of Mike Ashley. 

Currently they may be well ran clubs but this will likely be a short term thing. Past flavours of the month include Swansea, Bournemouth, Fulham, Stoke, Bolton, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Middlesbrough...

It seems a strange thing to say but success does not necessarily mean that a club is being well ran. Football is chaotic and the only thing that generally gives a club some order amongst it is either appointing the right manager at the right time (which is absolute guess work and nobody chooses consistently well), or throwing money at it until eventually it pays off. Both Ashley and Morris have been fantastic businessmen but appear clueless within football and to me this says more about football than it does about these men. 

Whilst @GeordieRam maintains his polite and well reasoned opinions, (whether we agree with them or not), there should be no hints that he and/or his opinions aren’t welcome on here.

If he doesn’t share those opinions with us… the victims… the affected… the so called “homeless people”… then he has nobody else to share them with, because quite literally nobody else gives a T0$$!

Unfair to suggest that he is being insensitive by airing his views on here, IMO.
 If he gets cocky, mind, or starts pointing and laughing at us, then strip him of his barcode, soak him in a vat of broon, then dunk him in The Derwent, I say!

So far, he’s behaved impeccably.  

?

Edited by Mucker1884

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wasn't it also 14th and 13th in 2 of the 3 seasons before he took over? 11th twice and 13th twice between '98 and '01 too

They also had peak Alan shearer for most of that successful time. A player they haven’t replaced since. No surprise the fell away, he was irreplaceable. 

I have no problem with Ashley potentially taking over at Derby 

He pays the Bills - he doesn’t sell cheap - we currently have most of what we need as a club.

we tried the very rich local man in MM who has chosen to walk away - we nearly ended up with a fake Arab and a Spanish waiter 

we did end up with administration 

Give me a British based business man who wants to be appreciated 

I don’t care if PP is name after one of his company’s - just sponsor us.

after the last 20 years I would settle for being in a relegation scrap in the premiership 4 in 5 seasons and coming through it.

This also makes sense to Ashley - it’s a business in distress and it just needs initial money in all reality, that can build to a nice profit whilst keeping a nice profile and he has local presence in Shirebrook not to mention two new shops opening in the city soon. 

the Administrators should have the red carpet rolled out in his direction as we have no idea what we would get with someone else if there turns out to be anyone else!

2 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

Newcastle 300,820

Derby  258,740.

I think you’ll find that Chad Littleover and Alvaston are inside the Derby City Boundary.

Furthermore it’s Derby County not Derby City which gives the Rams a large catchment area within the County. We have also traditionally drawn well from North West Leicestershire and East Staffordshire.

12 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

I think you’ll find that Chad Littleover and Alvaston are inside the Derby City Boundary.

Furthermore it’s Derby County not Derby City which gives the Rams a large catchment area within the County. We have also traditionally drawn well from North West Leicestershire and East Staffordshire.

Thats the point isnt it

we are Derby County…. We literally have a whole county to ourselves hence when the times are good 40k plus don their scarves and rock up at wembley