Derby County Administration (with the slight possibility of Liquidation still there)

therams69

Mike Ashley is an interesting proposition. I wouldn't be against it, but I'd be fairly certain that he wouldn't be looking to bankroll a huge push for promotion. He ran Newcastle at a profit, which is his right, but their fans hated him for it. 

I would argue our expectations are somewhat lower, but I doubt he would be able to earn a profit from owning us. I can't see anything in this other than obvious rumour based on the fact he's the richest person with ties to Derbyshire. 

Donnay, Lillywhites, Lonsdale, Carlton, Dunlop, Slazenger, Karrimor, Campri, No Fear, Kangol, Firetrap and House of Fraser all businesses/brands on their last legs that he's purchased.

He knows the stature of Derby and the current market price due to administration and he seems to love a good bail out.

Added by the fact he now has no football club (the biggest sport in the country) for his sport brand, he'd be silly to at least not look at the books, if he's willing to progress further after seeing them remains to be seen but based on his track record it would be very unlike him to not even enquire about Derby in it's current state.

Edited by Retro_RAM

22 minutes ago, Retro_RAM said:

He knows the stature of Derby and the current market price due to administration and he seems to love a good bail out.

he'd be silly to at least not look at the books

.... and therein lies the problem. I imagine prospective buyers may indeed look at the books, then run for the hills when they see the dire state of finances. Not many sensible businessmen would consider having to cough up circa £25 million to HMRC for nothing in return, plus the money owed (£15million) to the USA loan sharks secured against PP, which the new owner would have to buy back from Mr Morris (£80 million ??), the money owed to Arsenal for Bielik, and the £4million or so to Lech Poznań for Jozwiak 

Unfortunately DCFC is not a 'bargain buy out of administration' opportunity. Sadly, more of a financial basket case, despite the administrators trying to put a positive spin on the situation. 

Edited by europia

Hi all,

Newcastle fan here. Been going to Uni of Derby for 2 years now (in my final year) and after hearing and reading what's went on at the club in the last few years I've grown a bit of a soft spot for DCFC. Saw that you were linked with Ashley taking over, now, I am aware that as a club you're probably in the worst state you've ever been in. Ever. In administration, a potential risk of going into liquidation, absolutely criminal that could happen to your club, as to me its still a good sized club with standing in English football. Ashley seems like a ticket out, financial stability. But, and I have to say after reading some of the posts on here which are terribly incorrect, the man is/was an utter parasite.

Where we were as a club before Ashley was probably where Spurs, West Ham are now. Promoted to the Premier League in 1993, finished 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 5th and 7th in the period before Ashley took over, regulars in Europe, played 3 seasons of Champions League football. Won nothing obviously, but we had genuine hope. Ashley takes over in 2007, within 2 years we're relegated. We bounce back due to the quality of the squad we had at the time, stay in the Premier League for another 6 seasons (3 of which were relegation battles) and get relegated again. The second relegation, we had a wage bill the size of a midtable PL club in the Championship and had Rafa Benitez in charge so we bounce straight back again. Since then we've been fighting relegation again, Rafa leaves due to no ambition at the club beyond staying up; his replacement summing up that ambition which even he is making an arse of.

Now I know it's rich to come on here and complain about doing nowt more than staying in the PL given your situation, but this is all relative. Our two promotions Ashley lucked out at the squad and managers present there at the time and we only had to get promoted because of beyond tragic management from Ashley in the first place.

The whole 'he's a good business man' and 'got Newcastle financially sound' is a myth. Part of £300m fee paid for the club from the consortium on Thursday will have partly been made up my interest free loans Ashley took out from the club; taking money out so to speak. Our commerical revenue was greater than Spurs, Everton and West Ham before Ashley took over, now clubs like Brighton & Hove Albion are millions ahead. Across his 14 years his net spend is +£10m which in the PL scheme of things is peanuts.

I see why you may want him, you'd probably take almost anyone and I don't blame yous for that. But he is not a good football club owner and the perception that he was good for us is so far wide of the mark is untrue. He has set us back years and this golden ticket we've been given will see that, as it'll be years until we're on a level footing with Spurs, Everton, West Ham and Villa.

53 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Mike Ashley is an interesting proposition. I wouldn't be against it, but I'd be fairly certain that he wouldn't be looking to bankroll a huge push for promotion. He ran Newcastle at a profit, which is his right, but their fans hated him for it. 

I would argue our expectations are somewhat lower, but I doubt he would be able to earn a profit from owning us. I can't see anything in this other than obvious rumour based on the fact he's the richest person with ties to Derbyshire. 

I don't understand this. He's 57 years old, has an estimated wealth of 2.7 billion. At what point do you just say: "I've got enough money now, might as well spend it on stuff". Why would he need to make a profit on Derby? Isn't that why the Saudis are buying clubs? because they have nothing left to spend all their money on? 

But I guess my attitudes why I'm not a billionaire. That and the fact I'm an idiot.

3 minutes ago, DerbyGeordie said:

Hi all,

Newcastle fan here. Been going to Uni of Derby for 2 years now (in my final year) and after hearing and reading what's went on at the club in the last few years I've grown a bit of a soft spot for DCFC. Saw that you were linked with Ashley taking over, now, I am aware that as a club you're probably in the worst state you've ever been in. Ever. In administration, a potential risk of going into liquidation, absolutely criminal that could happen to your club, as to me its still a good sized club with standing in English football. Ashley seems like a ticket out, financial stability. But, and I have to say after reading some of the posts on here which are terribly incorrect, the man is/was an utter parasite.

Where we were as a club before Ashley was probably where Spurs, West Ham are now. Promoted to the Premier League in 1993, finished 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 5th and 7th in the period before Ashley took over, regulars in Europe, played 3 seasons of Champions League football. Won nothing obviously, but we had genuine hope. Ashley takes over in 2007, within 2 years we're relegated. We bounce back due to the quality of the squad we had at the time, stay in the Premier League for another 6 seasons (3 of which were relegation battles) and get relegated again. The second relegation, we had a wage bill the size of a midtable PL club in the Championship and had Rafa Benitez in charge so we bounce straight back again. Since then we've been fighting relegation again, Rafa leaves due to no ambition at the club beyond staying up; his replacement summing up that ambition which even he is making an arse of.

Now I know it's rich to come on here and complain about doing nowt more than staying in the PL given your situation, but this is all relative. Our two promotions Ashley lucked out at the squad and managers present there at the time and we only had to get promoted because of beyond tragic management from Ashley in the first place.

The whole 'he's a good business man' and 'got Newcastle financially sound' is a myth. Part of £300m fee paid for the club from the consortium on Thursday will have partly been made up my interest free loans Ashley took out from the club; taking money out so to speak. Our commerical revenue was greater than Spurs, Everton and West Ham before Ashley took over, now clubs like Brighton & Hove Albion are millions ahead. Across his 14 years his net spend is +£10m which in the PL scheme of things is peanuts.

I see why you may want him, you'd probably take almost anyone and I don't blame yous for that. But he is not a good football club owner and the perception that he was good for us is so far wide of the mark is untrue. He has set us back years and this golden ticket we've been given will see that, as it'll be years until we're on a level footing with Spurs, Everton, West Ham and Villa.

You deserved much better than Ashley and so do we. Hope to see you challenging for ch league very soon   Hope you’ve enjoyed Derby 

9 minutes ago, DerbyGeordie said:

Hi all,

Thanks for this appreciated.

However still failing to see why hes a bad owner to have in comparison to what we just had.  He didnt put the club into administration and he hasnt drawn up a huge debt that makes the club nearly unsellable?

He has kept you in the top tier and now made a profit in selling you to billionaires who have the financial power to put you at the top.

If he buys us hes buying us to make profit so to make profit in this broken football pyramid you need to get to the premier league. 

I dont usually comment on mirror speculation because thats all it is and its a garbage newspaper but since you kindly took your time to tell us his downfalls i felt a reply of how i see it was warranted.

11 minutes ago, DerbyGeordie said:

Now I know it's rich to come on here and complain about doing nowt more than staying in the PL given your situation, but this is all relative.

You are right with this, it certainly is rich. Your ''problems'' with Ashley, pale in comparison to our current plight, with all due respect. 

13 minutes ago, DerbyGeordie said:

Where we were as a club before Ashley was probably where Spurs, West Ham are now. Promoted to the Premier League in 1993, finished 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 5th and 7th in the period before Ashley took over, regulars in Europe, played 3 seasons of Champions League football. Won nothing obviously, but we had genuine hope. Ashley takes over in 2007, within 2 years we're relegated.

In Ashley's defence, Newcastle's good performances of the 90's and early 2000's had been getting progressively worse by the time he took over, and since then Newcastle as a club have reverted to their mean position overall. He ran it like a business, not as a play thing for a rich man. That's a lot more healthy for football. 

22 minutes ago, DerbyGeordie said:

And you spent 40 million pounds on Joelinton. Can't understand why people on here are saying he ran the club well. He hasn't got a clue.

1 minute ago, The_Sheriff said:

Thanks for this appreciated.

However still failing to see why hes a bad owner to have in comparison to what we just had.  He didnt put the club into administration and he hasnt drawn up a huge debt that makes the club nearly unsellable?

He has kept you in the top tier and now made a profit in selling you to billionaires who have the financial power to put you at the top.

If he buys us hes buying us to make profit so to make profit in this broken football pyramid you need to get to the premier league. 

I dont usually comment on mirror speculation because thats all it is and its a garbage newspaper but since you kindly took your time to tell us his downfalls i felt a reply of how i see it was warranted.

Obviously what you have had, Morris spending well beyond your means to get to the PL which has failed, is not comparable.

We're in the top tier but his dreadful management has seen us relegated from it twice. The wider football world saw us being the next Leeds after relegation in 2009, only the quality squad we had and Chris Hughton happening to be there as he was a coach the previous season to take us up was why we got promoted that year. Rafa Benitez being there was why we went straight back up in 2017.

If he is buying you he's buying you to maximise advertising for Sports Direct at minimal cost, which is what he was doing for 14 years here and why he bought the club. You're well within your rights to take that, if it gets you out of this administration. Just look at Newcastle's 14 years before Ashley, look at the 14 years under him. Speaks volumes.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You are right with this, it certainly is rich. Your ''problems'' with Ashley, pale in comparison to our current plight, with all due respect. 

In Ashley's defence, Newcastle's good performances of the 90's and early 2000's had been getting progressively worse by the time he took over, and since then Newcastle as a club have reverted to their mean position overall. He ran it like a business, not as a play thing for a rich man. That's a lot more healthy for football. 

That surely doesn't mean we can't hate the guy and complain though? If your rented house was dropping to bits and the landlord wilfully neglected it, should you not be able to complain about it because there's homeless people about? Then people try and tell you that landlord was brilliant? 

He had the opportunities to kick on and improve. Keegan, proven in court that Ashley constructively dismissed him. Appointed Joe Kinnear. Let the greatest manager we've had since Robson in Benitez walk as he wouldn't match his ambitions of the club which were far from wild. Replaced him with Steve Bruce who has proven his ineptitude at this level. The club has potential, Keegan realised it, Robson realised it, Benitez wanted to realise it. Two of those 3 walked, because of Ashley.

4 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

And you spent 40 million pounds on Joelinton. Can't understand why people on here are saying he ran the club well. He hasn't got a clue.

For some bizarre reason, Ashley insisted on us signing that donkey. Benitez didn't want him as he thought he wasn't good enough. But they kept on insisting. Now look, lucky to get £10m for him.

4 minutes ago, DerbyGeordie said:

That surely doesn't mean we can't hate the guy and complain though? If your rented house was dropping to bits and the landlord wilfully neglected it, should you not be able to complain about it because there's homeless people about? Then people try and tell you that landlord was brilliant? 

He had the opportunities to kick on and improve. Keegan, proven in court that Ashley constructively dismissed him. Appointed Joe Kinnear. Let the greatest manager we've had since Robson in Benitez walk as he wouldn't match his ambitions of the club which were far from wild. Replaced him with Steve Bruce who has proven his ineptitude at this level. The club has potential, Keegan realised it, Robson realised it, Benitez wanted to realise it. Two of those 3 walked, because of Ashley.

Taking your analogy, you wouldn't be going up to said homeless people and moaning about all the problems with your accommodation though, would you? There is a real chance our club could go under, frankly I think it's slightly insensitive to come on here and moan about Mike Ashley, Mel Morris has done a much worse job here.

By kicking on and improving, you mean throwing around silly money? Because that's how you do that. 

Just now, Andicis said:

Taking your analogy, you wouldn't be going up to said homeless people and moaning about all the problems with your accommodation though, would you? There is a real chance our club could go under, frankly I think it's slightly insensitive to come on here and moan about Mike Ashley, Mel Morris has done a much worse job here.

By kicking on and improving, you mean throwing around silly money? Because that's how you do that. 

I'm not doing that; when people are saying that Ashley was brilliant and we're all deluded and have delusions of grandeur for wanting the best for our own club, it kind of gets you rubbed up the wrong way. Especially from fans of a club I respect. 

Nope. Benitez had a plan of moderate sustained investment. Less money than Everton have thrown about in the last few years, less than Villa. But moderate sustained investment in improving the squad, academy, training ground, the latter two of which have been neglected under Ashley. How a normal football club would operate, that's not too much to ask.

1 minute ago, DerbyGeordie said:

I'm not doing that; when people are saying that Ashley was brilliant and we're all deluded and have delusions of grandeur for wanting the best for our own club, it kind of gets you rubbed up the wrong way. Especially from fans of a club I respect. 

Nope. Benitez had a plan of moderate sustained investment. Less money than Everton have thrown about in the last few years, less than Villa. But moderate sustained investment in improving the squad, academy, training ground, the latter two of which have been neglected under Ashley. How a normal football club would operate, that's not too much to ask.

For a club that hasn't won a trophy since the 1950's, your fans certainly have delusions of grandeur. You're on a thread about Derby being in administration, I really feel for Newcastle, you've really had it tough. 

Everton have chucked around silly money though. Villa is more understandable as with the sale of Grealish they've brought plenty of money in. Ashley ran Newcastle like a business. Maybe you'd have liked it if he'd have been consistently put money in, but he kept you in a consistently healthy financial position in the Premier League. Your fans make it sound like you've been in a position similar to us. You absolutely haven't.