Derby County Administration (with the slight possibility of Liquidation still there)

therams69

7 minutes ago, ToonTom said:

I've signed-up to this Chat to add my two-pennys worth on My Cashley.

So I'm a Barcode and proud and have been since my first game in 1971 - a drab 0-0 at home to Man City, pretty much a portent of the next half century to come. I loved seeing SuperMac and Tudor and the likes. Signing Shearer was amazing, as was coming with one game (March 4, 1996) of winning the Premiership. What Keegan showed Newcastle fans was what was possible. Just like Cloughie showed Derby and Forest fans what was possible. So it's inevitable that you hark back to those days and wish they would return. And then you get accused of having unrealistic expectations and you realise you just should have kept your mouth shut 'cos you can't win that 'argument'. Newcastle fans do not feel 'entitled' - any more than Derby or Forest fans feel 'entitled' - they just have memories of past glory days and wish they could come back. The hysteria on Barrack Road on Thursday evening was a combination of profound relief at getting rid of Cashley and also the return of hope that we might enjoy the glory days of The Entertainers back (even if no trophies came our way again like the last time - it was still fantastic to be a part of).

Anyway, to Cashley. Derby right now is a good fit for him. It's 'local' (to SDHQ) so that makes sense investing in the community, and he absolutely will run the club's finances tightly and profitably. Initially and for a few years you might feel relieved, but as the years go by you'll start to notice that there's no real investment going into the club so everything starts to deteriorate - the ground, the training faciltiies, the academy, and very soon the football. If you are in the Premiership (where you should be), you'll have season after season of worrying every day about relegation so never actually enjoying the football and - if he installs a Steve Bruce as manager one day - you'll have to watch lifeless, unattacking football at its very worst. So no expectations of any kind whilst your club falls apart from the paint downwards.

I've been in Derbyshire for just over a decade now. Pride Park is an outstanding ground and the club deserves to be in the Premiership. Cashley can secure your Championship place and the long-term future of the club, but sadly that level of security potentially comes with a massive price in the case of Cashley. Ironically, we might suffer the same consequences at St. James' but that's a wholly different debate, I suspect.

Well written piece. Haven't been to St James... It looks good on TV, but is it in reality getting tatty? 

One name linked to Derby is Marcus Evans.

News articles suggest he's worth over 700 million.

Evans' ownership of Ipswich was never popular among Tractor Boys fans. Evans took over ipswich hoping to get them into the Premier League but left them in League One for two seasons. Evans never got Ipswich into serious financial trouble and he was frugal with his investments after his first few years in charge of the Tractor Boys. When Mick McCarthy was in charge, Ipswich threatened to make the Premier League on a budget during his ownership. Things went awry when Evans sacked McCarthy under pressure from fans. Derby's position, an owner like Evans  isn't the worst outcome. It would give the Rams some long-term security, though he would have a lot to prove after his time at Ipswich.

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Well written piece. Haven't been to St James... It looks good on TV, but is it in reality getting tatty? 

I haven't been since April 2009 (not because we were relegated but because we moved south to Findern).

Apparently, the ground is desperately in need to TLC. Fan after fan said it on Thursday so I took it as read. The training facilities and academy have been an issue for most of Cashley's reign.

14 minutes ago, ToonTom said:

So I'm a Barcode and proud and have been since my first game in 1971 - a drab 0-0 at home to Man City, pretty much a portent of the next half century to come. I loved seeing SuperMac and Tudor and the likes. Signing Shearer was amazing, as was coming with one game (March 4, 1996) of winning the Premiership. What Keegan showed Newcastle fans was what was possible. Just like Cloughie showed Derby and Forest fans what was possible. So it's inevitable that you hark back to those days and wish they would return. And then you get accused of having unrealistic expectations and you realise you just should have kept your mouth shut 'cos you can't win that 'argument'. Newcastle fans do not feel 'entitled' - any more than Derby or Forest fans feel 'entitled' - they just have memories of past glory days and wish they could come back. The hysteria on Barrack Road on Thursday evening was a combination of profound relief at getting rid of Cashley and also the return of hope that we might enjoy the glory days of The Entertainers back (even if no trophies came our way again like the last time - it was still fantastic to be a part of).

Anyway, to Cashley. Derby right now is a good fit for him. It's 'local' (to SDHQ) so that makes sense investing in the community, and he absolutely will run the club's finances tightly and profitably. Initially and for a few years you might feel relieved, but as the years go by you'll start to notice that there's no real investment going into the club so everything starts to deteriorate - the ground, the training faciltiies, the academy, and very soon the football. If you are in the Premiership (where you should be), you'll have season after season of worrying every day about relegation so never actually enjoying the football and - if he installs a Steve Bruce as manager one day - you'll have to watch lifeless, unattacking football at its very worst. So no expectations of any kind whilst your club falls apart from the paint downwards.

I've been in Derbyshire for just over a decade now. Pride Park is an outstanding ground and the club deserves to be in the Premiership. Cashley can secure your Championship place and the long-term future of the club, but sadly that level of security potentially comes with a massive price in the case of Cashley. Ironically, we might suffer the same consequences at St. James' but that's a wholly different debate, I suspect.

Simple question, would swap the last 20 years you've had at Newcastle for the last 20 years that we've had at Derby?

2 minutes ago, Oldben said:

One name linked to Derby is Marcus Evans.

News articles suggest he's worth over 700 million.

Evans' ownership of Ipswich was never popular among Tractor Boys fans. Evans took over ipswich hoping to get them into the Premier League but left them in League One for two seasons. Evans never got Ipswich into serious financial trouble and he was frugal with his investments after his first few years in charge of the Tractor Boys. When Mick McCarthy was in charge, Ipswich threatened to make the Premier League on a budget during his ownership. Things went awry when Evans sacked McCarthy under pressure from fans. Derby's position, an owner like Evans  isn't the worst outcome. It would give the Rams some long-term security, though he would have a lot to prove after his time at Ipswich.

Isn't he just the budget version of Mike Ashley?

18 minutes ago, ToonTom said:

Cracking post youth, I loved going to Newcastle back in the day, Your town is full of piss eds,Tarts who can't get their knickers off quick enough and great food round China Town, I remember a boozer that had a motor bike hanging from a wall and a fella sitting under it with a huge lump on his head, I was going to ask him "did the bike fall on you" until the barman said "leave well alone lad he's the local nutter" so I did.

I wish you well in your forthcoming seasons...I see the Prem teams are already at your throat and the PL for the Saudis and the Fit and Propper owner, Our Government you will have to thank, As they were the ones that gave it the green light...there's more shyte to come alot more, I think Ashley could have played a blinder here...with all the crap you lot have given him...he just might have left you a lovely leaving present.

All the best.

Edited by Unlucky Alf

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

St James Park is a mixture of old stands and new ones (that are way to big) and when you sit in the upper tiers of the newer stands you look down on the roofs of the older stands. The atmosphere is none existent in the upper reaches of the stands, and looking down on the pitch the players are so far away they look like toys.It is not a very joined together place, hampered by the fact it is in the middle off the city centre, so expansion has been lopsided due to the existing buildings in the immediatley surrounding areas being "in the way". The best thing for Newcastle United would be to build a brand new purpose built modern stadium and knock down their current ground.(IMO)

To directly quote my Geordie buddy

"Careful what you wish for, Ashley’s reign wasn’t just about two relegations in 14 years but how he failed to invest anything to do with the stadium, training ground, academy, the city, didn’t communicate, shut off and demoralised the fan base etc"

That said, I can honestly see us as the sort of opportunity he'd go for, buying a club on the cheap, sorting it out over 2 or 3 years, then looking sell for a nice profit. He's a businessman through and through. 

51 minutes ago, ToonTom said:

Well said chum. I've been to up to SJP on three occasions, both as a fan and on corporate bash's and found the whole Newcastle experience the best I have had in football, (apart from a lime pickle eating competition in the curry house which was in Viz,which I won, but regretted it later.. but thats another story). Fans who genuinely, a bit like rams fans are from their town/county and ones who wherever you are in the world are free to engage in non hostile banter with.  

What I'd give for a stable few years, be comfy in the mid table and building organically. Shizen, if we can maintain the nucleus, Bird, Sibley, Eboslele, Knight and built a team, not a group of individuals then bring My Cashley on, steady as she goes... While we all enjoyed Mels gamble while it lasted, the words of Sir fred Browning stand true "I always thought it was a bridge too far". 

Bring me happy days, a few pots in the Brunswick before and after, a happy saturday night not miserable as f@@k like we have been.

it seems to me we are attracting the businessmen that want a blank canvas and that are used to buying failing businesses.

the main difference for me is there is a big difference between a failing business and a failing football club.

i wouldnt be as against ashley as some, as much as he is hated by the toon he has run their club sensibly and they have never had any financial troubles. we certainly wouldnt see a repeat of mel.

for me whoever the next owner is they will buy the club to sell on anyway, buy it cheap, sort it out, sell it on to a foreign investor for a hansome profit.

48 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Simple question, would swap the last 20 years you've had at Newcastle for the last 20 years that we've had at Derby?

I'd keep Newcastle's 20 years because Year 1-6 were Sir Bobby years (give or take) when we had an attacking team that was exciting to watch and - with Sir Bobby's nouse - got us Champions League football. I saw Newcastle-Barcelona in about 2004 and I was up in the Heavens and I swear you get a better view of Gateshead up there than you do of the pitch. What a waste of money paying to be that high up! Some of the Ashley years (Years 7-20) were exciting. Two Championships were great entertainment. The Rafa time was amazing.

I wouldn't want Derby's 20 years solely because of going into administration. It's terrible (as you know). I'm also a Hearts fan after 23 years in Scotland and when we went into administration in about 2014, we were nigh-on finished. 8,000 fans (including me) put in £10-£20 a month since then to give the club the platform of £1million a year which was enough to keep them afloat in the SPL. Funnily enough, we also had two seasons winning the Championship. It's crazy how wonderful any trophy is!

Derby will be safe. You've got a number of suitors. Even Cashley wouldn't be the end of the world. Ideally, you'd get owners who could afford to at least get you back into the Premiership on a solid footing and not have to endure the misery of day after day worrying about relegation.

57 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

St James Park is a mixture of old stands and new ones (that are way to big) and when you sit in the upper tiers of the newer stands you look down on the roofs of the older stands. The atmosphere is none existent in the upper reaches of the stands, and looking down on the pitch the players are so far away they look like toys.It is not a very joined together place, hampered by the fact it is in the middle off the city centre, so expansion has been lopsided due to the existing buildings in the immediatley surrounding areas being "in the way". The best thing for Newcastle United would be to build a brand new purpose built modern stadium and knock down their current ground.(IMO)

The challenge has always been the Leazes Terrace row of old Edwardian (?) houses. They're grade A listed or something and the council can't easily enforce a compulsory purchase order - hence, we've got a lopsided ground which is not as good on the eye as, say, a Pride Park, but it's not exactly the end of the world. If the football was better, no-one would notice the misshapen structure of the ground. We've also got a Leazes-to-Gallowgate pronounced slope (which is why we like to play towards the Gallowgate in the second-half) which is unnatural for a top-two tier ground.

We tried to build a new stadium on Leazes Park back in the 1990s but it's common ground owned by the people of Newcastle and more than enough non-footy fans (yes, there really are some) protested so that idea was canned. That idea could come back, but if it doesn't I can't see us moving away from the city centre. Two minute walk to China Town and less than another ten to the Bigg Market? We'll not be moving far if we move at all!

Like I say, give us something to get worked-up about and we'd quickly forget the anomalies of the ground ...