El DerbyCo

roboto

1 hour ago, 24Charlie said:

At least there’s enough uncertainty for someone who’s looking to buy a club to back away.

the club announcement re Alonso said ‘definitive documents’ had been signed  and were subject only to EFL approval. So it’s quite likely Erik is on the hook and can’t wriggle off.   Unlike the position with the Sheikh, where it seems they did not sign ‘definitive documents’.  That’s not to say Erik will not try to walk away of course

Even if Erik proceeds,  any mystery backer who has promised to support him may decide to pull the plug if the ownership rules are reviewed. In which case Erik would run us on a shoestring. ?

not one for the optimism thread 

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

the club announcement re Alonso said ‘definitive documents’ had been signed  and were subject only to EFL approval. So it’s quite likely Erik is on the hook and can’t wriggle off.   Unlike the position with the Sheikh, where it seems they did not sign ‘definitive documents’.  That’s not to say Erik will not try to walk away of course

Even if Erik proceeds,  any mystery backer who has promised to support him may decide to pull the plug if the ownership rules are reviewed. In which case Erik would run us on a shoestring. ?

For me, if the deals been done, Erik and his backers will be ok as this rule hasn't happened yet. I think this ruling will be for future buyouts.

1 hour ago, 24Charlie said:

Looking at reports this morning of a review of football ownership in this country.

The thrust seems to be more control for fans with a look at the German model where commercial interests c only own 49% of a club would probably put an end to our takeover.

There is a real possibility of fundamental change of how football ownership happens. At least there’s enough uncertainty for someone who’s looking to buy a club to back away.

If you don’t own the whole club you don’t get all the profits or even get to decide how it’s spent.

He may be able to buy the club but may be forced to give up control in the near future.

I think El Derby Co is a dead duck.

Hmmm...

#GhostOfCloughForPresident

9 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

For me, if the deals been done, Erik and his backers will be ok as this rule hasn't happened yet. I think this ruling will be for future buyouts.

Ah ok, interesting point. But even that would have a big impact on Erik because it would still reduce the value of the shares he has bought. Because when he comes to sell, he can only give control to the fans. 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

Ah ok, interesting point. But even that would have a big impact on Erik because it would still reduce the value of the shares he has bought. Because when he comes to sell, he can only give control to the fans. 

Personally, I don't think for one minute this rule will ever come to fruition. If you have spent millions/billions on a business would you allow some pen pushers telling you, you have to let the fans own a large percentage of the company in the future?. Just reading some of the things being said on here, would you want these people making decisions in your business? ?

18 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Personally, I don't think for one minute this rule will ever come to fruition. If you have spent millions/billions on a business would you allow some pen pushers telling you, you have to let the fans own a large percentage of the company in the future?. Just reading some of the things being said on here, would you want these people making decisions in your business? ?

Agree. But if there’s one thing our prime minister does well, it’s ride a populist wave.  I doubt it will happen but maybe they’ll end up with a fudge, some sort of fans supervisory board that needs to be consulted on big decisions. 

we’d need to decide who to vote for as our representatives !

Edited by kevinhectoring

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Agree. But if there’s one thing our prime minister does well, it’s ride a populist wave.  I doubt it will happen but maybe they’ll end up with a fudge, some sort of fans supervisory board that needs to be consulted on big decisions. 

we’d need to decide who to vote for as our representatives !

Before they can enforce any sort of fan ownership, they need to find a way to make clubs live wholly within their means. It means salary caps, limits on squad sizes, caps on agent fees, limits on transfer fees and restrictions on debt. In truth, after an initial readjustment, it would be for the good of the game.

The problem is it would need to be at least done across all of Europe and would need primary legislation to get around the legal issues. That isn't going to happen any time soon.

It also risks players being poached overseas if a billionaire decided to set up a high class league in maybe India or China.

IMO, it won't affect our takeover. 

JP in the Telegraph:

Alonso has delivered proof of funds of more than £70 million to the EFL yet must still pass the owners and directors’ test. Previously linked with a bid to buy Sheffield Wednesday, Alonso recently admitted his ultimate goal is to see Derby competing in the Champions League.

34 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Steve McClaren is expected to leave his role as technical director at Derby if the proposed takeover by Erik Alonso is ratified by the EFL. According to the Daily Mail in Skysports paper talk. 

I hope they re-advertise his job because I'm bloody amazing at drinking tea, watching football and being ignored. 

21 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Good points but saying a shoestring might be optimistic lol. If Erik says he doesn't take family money and it turns out the backers have pulled out, it's hard to see him having enough money to even run the club at all. No one seems to know how much personal wealth this guy has and none of his known business dealings seem to scream "I am super wealthy". And don't we lose like 7 mill a year just running the club normally?

Edited by RammingStone66
Spelling errors

Derby County in crisis: Doubts over Wayne Rooney, Steve McClaren 'sidelined' and relegation threat looming

With only one win in their last 12 matches, Derby are in serious danger and face potentially crucial game against Birmingham on Saturday

ByJohn Percy23 April 2021 • 3:48pm

Edited by GboroRam
No copyrighted content - links only please

1 hour ago, Abu Derby said:

I’ve been told that calculators are not allowed for the owners test, however you can bring your own abacus and dictionary should you wish. 

The 'fit' part of the fit and proper person test is the bleep test. Our boxing champ should have no worries with that.

The harder part is the 'proper'. It's highly subjective depending on who is conducting the test. They might be looking for a proper gent, or a proper lad, both very different tests. They ususally test though to confirm you are a proper tw&t and/or proper shady, where you are waved straight thru. 

Will be interesting to see which test Erik takes.