El DerbyCo

roboto

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Or say they're going to pay for it! ? No real money involved.

Still wonder how much of a sticking point the club not owning the ground any more is. I mean what collateral is there, not the squad that's for sure! ?

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I suppose another way of phrasing the question  from @richinspainis, is the potential return on investment of 60 million for a championship club reasonable? Without promotion to the premier league I’d say not. So, the next question would be, with investment (subject to the constraints of P & S rules) what are the chances of getting promoted and how much more investment would be required/allowed?

It does feel like a very expensive gamble with doubtful probability of paying off to me.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You'll be sending a cheque to Mel then will you?!

Mel is the man in charge. If he really craves our admiration over the safety of the club, then what does that say about him? I'm also including his side-kick Stephen Pearce in this. They are custodians of the club and they've run us into the ground and potentially League 1!

Football club ownership is an ego trip. Always has been, always will be. The American owners before Mel were ridiculed for not spending money, but got lucky in having Nigel Clough as manager. He was prepared to work with what he had, and did a bloody good job of it until they were persuaded to give Mac the job. Mac took the squad of players he inherited to another level, but was never going to work to Nigel's budget.

The buck ultimately stops at Mel, and obviously I won't be sending a cheque. I will however continue to pay my part as a (now long distance) fan. Mel is "to blame", but I thank him for everything he's done because he's done it trying to get us promoted. He's failed, miserably, but he's lost a lot more money than the club has.

6 minutes ago, richinspain said:

The buck ultimately stops at Mel, and obviously I won't be sending a cheque. I will however continue to pay my part as a (now long distance) fan. Mel is "to blame", but I thank him for everything he's done because he's done it trying to get us promoted. He's failed, miserably, but he's lost a lot more money than the club has.

I don't thank him at all. He was custodian, he was meant to be looking after the club - he's not done that. His 'ego' is part of what lead to the massive overspend - not had many fans forums lately have we!

He's lost some money, but he still owns the ground - a good lease fee/money for licenses there? And still he isn't willing to put the club first when it comes to selling us. Thanks for nothing Mel.

Edited by RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't thank him at all. He was custodian, he was meant to be looking after the club - he's not done that. His 'ego' is part of what lead to the massive overspend - not had many fans forums lately have we!

He's lost some money, but he still owns the ground - a good lease fee/money for licenses there? And still he isn't willing to put the club first when it comes to selling us. Thanks for nothing Mel.

I'll agree to disagree with you regarding Mel. I can see your argument, just don't agree with it. Forums would be boring if we all agreed.

Just now, richinspain said:

I'll agree to disagree with you regarding Mel. I can see your argument, just don't agree with it. Forums would be boring if we all agreed.

Your choice as you say.

But unlike when Lionel spent all and wouldn't sell to LoG at least he'd achieved something.

I do think FFP/P&S is likely to be putting off most sensible, competent buyers. Promotion is the only route to profit. Owning a club like ours means having to commit to lose millions a year, but being unable to compete financially with the parachute clubs. It's a crazy investment opportunity, which is why we are only attracting dodgy potential owners.

Just now, Oldben said:

This is the EFL, and we know what their levels of competence is so I can see the 'quiz' going as follows. 

EFL 'ayup Alonso,  have you got enough dosh to buy Derby '

Alonso 'Si'

EFL 'Great,  ta muchly'

2 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I hope that the efl will do a full review.

Derby fans deserve peace of mind on the issue.

do you have a list of people who would give you piece of mind?  Or even the general sort of person that would?  Football tends to attract the type of person that you wouldn't trust with your pension

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

Just maybe the only people willing to engage are entirely the wrong sort? I'm sure Mel would love to sell to a billionaire local business man who is a lifelong fan, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many takers. If you had a house that you needed to sell desperately but 3 years down the line hadn't found your dream buyer, wouldn't you sell to the first person who offered a sum you were willing to accept?

Fair points. Had the club been run properly perhaps a better calibre of owner would be considering taking us on. 

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Fair points. Had the club been run properly perhaps a better calibre of owner would be considering taking us on. 

Well Percy (who lots on here were telling me of his journalistic prowess) suggested there were 'dream buyers' interested. Why not them?

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

do you have a list of people who would give you piece of mind?  Or even the general sort of person that would?  Football tends to attract the type of person that you wouldn't trust with your pension

Easy an audit of the financial source of the prospective buyer by a known firm say Deloitte