El DerbyCo

roboto

14 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I lived next to an Asian lady who lends money to people applying for nationality. They need to show proof of funds and she lets the money sit in their bank account whilst the application is ongoing and she charges them a load of interest. She calls it ‘see money’. She’s loaded 

Isn't that illegal? And surely the Home Office would want to know where the moolah had come from?

1 hour ago, Brammie Steve said:

Surely it's best to wait till next season.

If buying anything connected with "Derby" you need to know:-

Is it The team that won the League twice in the seventies?

A thoroughbred winner of the Epsom Derby

Or a runner in the Donkey Derby at Southend?

In other words is it a team newly relegated to League One

or a Championship team by the skin of its teeth?

Either way the investment can hardly be called gilt-edged can it?

Furthermore the price will depend on the ESL breakaway plans which couldn't have come at a worse time for Mel.  At the time of negotiating the price we were moving away from relegation and there was a premiership pot of gold as a lure.  Now we are heading to League One and the reward at the end of the premiership rainbow has suddenly been slashed in terms of TV money and sponsorship/merchandising money heading off elsewhere.

The amount due to be paid must surely have fallen (if such a clause exists) and so Mel would probably get less for DCFC.  In many ways the "deflation" impact on the English football structure will be positive as transfer fees and wage expectations will fall, but the transition for the remaining PL teams that are invested to a higher reward level will be painful.  At the end of the day, if it goes forward, english football may be in a better place (although without masses of overseas high grade talent) - a more level playing field.

But the transition will be painful as clubs will be worth less, have less non spectator income yet still have highly paid players on the tails of contracts.  It will be most painful for those selling clubs during this interregnum.

More 'Paella' in the sky.

We seem to have a magnetic attraction for near do well's, carpetbaggers, penniless sheikh's, pie in the sky dreamers, would, could be millionaires.

While time waits for no man and slow ticks by and we slide back into the mire metaphorically both down the table and financially.

Things are becoming more and more dire. Are we doomed to cast out into the wilderness of League 1.

So will 'who' be our savior, our knight in shinning  armour. Uncle Mel, Rooney, some mystery benefactor. 

No I say it is thousands upon thousand of fans everywhere who live and breathe Derby

Keep the faith I say it can move mountains and sometimes even gain league points.

Where is there is hope there is a chance !

13 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

More 'Paella' in the sky.

We seem to have a magnetic attraction for near do well's, carpetbaggers, penniless sheikh's, pie in the sky dreamers, would, could be millionaires.

While time waits for no man and slow ticks by and we slide back into the mire metaphorically both down the table and financially.

Things are becoming more and more dire. Are we doomed to cast out into the wilderness of League 1.

So will 'who' be our savior, our knight in shinning  armour. Uncle Mel, Rooney, some mystery benefactor. 

No I say it is thousands upon thousand of fans everywhere who live and breathe Derby

Keep the faith I say it can move mountains and sometimes even gain league points.

Where is there is hope there is a chance !

We do our best to not make things easy don't we? I remember watching my first game in 1966 (we won) going home thinking wow this is great fun..little did I realise that those days travelling home buzzing with excitement at a win or great goals are countered with the despair that sadly has often outmuscled the joy at times..

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well his ambition to in European competition has become easier. We won't have to qualify through league performance, just hung several billion quid to the new super League and we'll be "a leading club in Europe like arsenal and Tottenham"

What an amazing point!

So, would we be happy if Derby had an owner who paid for us to be in the Super League?

Instead of achieving European football through promotion and League results - we just joined the Super League! And perhaps were banned from the domestic league.

If given the choice, would we prefer:

1. Things staying as they are.

2. Derby having a squad of world class players, playing against a top European club each week, and without risk of relegation.

Edited by Ken Tram

4 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

What an amazing point!

So, would we be happy if Derby had an owner who paid for us to be in the Super League?

Instead of achieving European football through promotion and League results - we just joined the Super League! And perhaps were banned from the domestic league.

2. Derby having a squad of world class players, playing against a top European club each week, without risk of relegation.

It's an interesting point - I would guess actually far more would like option 2 than would say they liked option 2. FWIW, I would be as against the ESL if we were one of the teams in it as I am now.

My attachment is to Derby County as a club in the English league, who I follow because of my grandad and when I did most of my growing up. If it becomes something else that might be objectivly "better" but without the emotional connection, I'm not sure I'd care enough to make it matter.

10 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

What an amazing point!

2. Derby having a squad of world class players, playing against a top European club each week, and without risk of relegation.

Things staying as they are 100%. World class players in a super league against clubs who may be big clubs but our paths have barely crossed?! Can’t play Leeds or Forest or have an opportunity to duck Gibsons Boro over or put the Rotherham chairman back in his box?? Alternating home matches between here Oz US and Bali? Super league no thanks.

I agree.

On top of the emotional links …

During each match there are highs and lows; likewise across seasons; and decades; and centuries.

The fear of relegation - is what will make our future promotion such joy. Beating Man Utd in the Cup the other year still brings me pride. Just that one match. Bouncing at the back of of Craven Cottage when we win 5-0. Maybe it was 3-0, but I remember it as 5-0.

The dream that Rooney will take us to the Champions League!

On the other hand, in retrospect, as founder members of the football League - perhaps we should have adopted the non-relegation, permancy model! 

56 minutes ago, Yani P said:

I would be 100% for 1 leave things as they are..2 is just plain wrong and I would have no interest in watching Derby in a ESL ..they wouldn't be Derby anymore they would just be a franchise.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I think I would put my money firmly on the likelihood of us playing in the EFL rather than ESL ?

Looking at reports this morning of a review of football ownership in this country.

The thrust seems to be more control for fans with a look at the German model where commercial interests c only own 49% of a club would probably put an end to our takeover.

There is a real possibility of fundamental change of how football ownership happens. At least there’s enough uncertainty for someone who’s looking to buy a club to back away.

If you don’t own the whole club you don’t get all the profits or even get to decide how it’s spent.

He may be able to buy the club but may be forced to give up control in the near future.

I think El Derby Co is a dead duck.