Bristol City (H) - Match Thread

Well it’s the morning after and it’s still hard to pick my man of the match or write what was best about that team yesterday as it would turn into a four page essay but make no mistake the kind of performance yesterday doesn’t happen by luck or in spite of a manager, every one of those players knew they’re role in the team and gassed out filling it ,

I don’t hide the fact I like warne as the right man at the right time and yesterday only confirms it for me , that team spirit and fight and organisation 4 games in with a new set of players is a joy to behold and the crowd will get behind them as we did in sucking the second goal in

Still high after yesterday’s result! 😅

A shame the international break happens after a result like that, it would be nice to continue the momentum onwards.

Excited to see what the season brings now we’ve shown we can compete with established top half teams and we’ve got players who weren’t even available yesterday.

From the back to the front:

JWZ is excellent and calm. His kick accuracy needs work, but he is quick thinking and can launch an attack for our speedy forwards to latch onto and this will be valuable this season. Also, how good were his recoveries for second saves etc.? The way he throws his frame around reminded me of Schmeichel.

This was a solid back 4, but Cashin the only one you think would move the ball forward consistently. Does Phillips get straight into the team, or does he have to wait on the bench? Lots of RB options with Nyambe for defensive security and Ward/Wilson for more attacking setups. Elder was quietly impressive yesterday but I feel this is the next area of the defence we’ll need to look to improve. Osbourne can play there and Nyambe can maybe shift across if needed.

Midfield 3 were immense! Adams cleaning up early on when we were under pressure, but as Goudmijn and Ozoh got their teeth into the game there was less pressure on him.

Attacking 3 used their pace perfectly and their pressing unity really put pressure on the Bristol defence. Goudmijn got a chance from a first half press and was unlucky not to convert it. We have some serious pace up front now and with trickery of Chirewa and Harness to add and some minutes for Brown, we have the options to frighten a lot of champ defences this season. I hope Warne continues to use Brown over Collins from the bench as he is now with us until Jan at least.

All in all, Warne has some difficult choices to make on the team sheet each week now, which is much better than what we seemingly had a week ago.

Can’t wait for the next match, but I’ll have to 😬

On 31/08/2024 at 09:47, AndyB said:

The thing about Knight and Bird is they’re good but they both have their weaknesses. Neither actually scores enough goals, Knight has energy but can lack quality and Bird has quality but can get manoeuvred off the ball. Nothing particularly to fear other than the “against old club” adage.

Good pre match assessment. Ozoh is better than both of them . Just got round to the TV highlights. The North stand looks half empty . 

10 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Warneball is a complete myth. Spouted big fans who saw his Rotherham teams who didn’t want him and used this to Justify their narrative. 

Today is how we want to play but we also will need to play the way we did against Boro to beat top teams.

Warneball is far from myyth,its the total shyte we have had to endure for most of the hundred odd games he,s been here for.yesterday was an absolute joy to watch ,and makes you wonder why we haven't seen more,if we had there would be  few people  complaining 

9 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

Warneball is far from myyth,its the total shyte we have had to endure for most of the hundred odd games he,s been here for.yesterday was an absolute joy to watch ,and makes you wonder why we haven't seen more,if we had there would be  few people  complaining 

Surely, it’s down to who he has at his disposal. Kenzo, Yates, Jackson and Ozoh change the complexion of the team totally. They’re all a step up on what we’ve had up to now and add pace and skill. Harness and Chirewa should provide even more options. 

I’m sure PW has shared your frustration along the way. He’s starting to get his own players in so it will be interesting to see how often we can play like yesterday, particularly against the better teams. It’s still a tough league though. 

I was quite happy with the total shyte last season. That was the total shyte that gained us automatic promotion 😎

Said to my pal second half, Kenzo reminds me so much of Baiano and Eranio...in the way he controls the ball, his movement on and off the ball, not the biggest player but highly intelligent finding passes and space and connecting play, not scared to put the effort in to win the ball back either. With him, Ozoh and Adams it's almost like the Jim Smith setup Carsley, Powell and Eranio...two enforcers and a playmaker. Just my view, but it was a delight to watch yesterday.

Warne is a managerial genius.

Bamboozling the Bristol scouts with the Barrow performance was a masterstroke.

Everything that was wrong at Barrow was right yesterday. Challenging for every ball, every run, every tackle- and not being disheartened when a decent Bristol side had a good first 20 minutes.

The crowd was something else. Even the pensioner seasies  around me  were up for it from the start. the next fixtures are pretty manageable= all is looking good now.

Didn't manage to watch live as I was busy - but having caught up on the game, that was a truly excellent performance. We physically battered Bristol City and created a hatful of great chances. I've been so impressed by Kayden Jackson so far. He looks a brilliant addition, a good eye for goal with a good work rate. Pleased for Kenzo to have gotten his first goal too. We needed a big reaction from the mid week game, and we got one so well done to Warne and the players. That's the kind of football anyone can enjoy. 

3 hours ago, ramboy63 said:

Probably the best team performance since Warne took over really enjoyed that.

Now comes the big question without doubt you have to play Nat Phillips but i hope we then dont get drawn back in to playing 3 at the back,for me stick to this 4-2-3-1 system we looked far more secure defensively which gave our front 4 if you like more freedom. 

I agree.

The big question is which two do you play? I feel Cashin has started the season poorly but he was immense yesterday.

16 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

Warneball exists and was on evidence yesterday. 

The game plan is always run fast, tackle hard and turn defence into attack with as few steps as possible-either by a long ball or a quick sequence of passes. Guerrila style play comes to mind, what we lack in technical ability comes from absolute effort from the players. 

It seems most people match Warneball to Hoofball. If route one is the quickest way forward then that will be the play, if there is 6’6 CBs then it’d be along the ground instead. 

The difference was Warne finally had his own team out on the field, the key players were fit and has had time to suit the system. 

The likes of Jackson, Kenzo and Ozoh were not signings on a whim and they clearly were scouted to fit this style. This style of play is not going to work every week but it should be enough to be comfortable in this league

1 hour ago, Castor said:

Can anyone find the clip where three Bristol players were trying to foul Ozoh and he just kept going? Left two of them on their backside.

That was amazing. Ozoh was beating players for fun towards the end. I'd love to see some of his runs again because he just seemed to ghost through attempted tackles at times.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I swear there was one near the end of the game on the near touchline

From 92:30, if you can watch the match back

That's the one I referred to in another post. It was (and I'm not exaggerating) Messi-like.

Edit: it's actually the post above!

Edited by Crewton

I'd like to add that it was a lot of fun giving them hell yesterday but I wish only the best for Knight and Bird.

They didn't move clubs to be bit part players. Knight is captain and was really trying to drive his team along, and Bird was more or less playing number 10 not far from the striker and most of what they did create came through him

That wasn't even a good performance from either of them but they were still their key men. They are genuine quality and they served us well for the time they were here. Good luck to them

3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I'd like to add that it was a lot of fun giving them hell yesterday but I wish only the best for Knight and Bird.

They didn't move clubs to be bit part players. Knight is captain and was really trying to drive his team along, and Bird was more or less playing number 10 not far from the striker and most of what they did create came through him

That wasn't even a good performance from either of them but they were still their key men. They are genuine quality and they served us well for the time they were here. Good luck to them

South Stand gave them a rousing send off at the end. Their own fans had mostly left by then.

2 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I enjoyed that although has he ever thought about watching the game instead of filming the opposition set of fans? Just a thought. No doubt when he goes to see Oasis he will hold his phone up and watch them on the small screen as the cups of piss shower over him. Anyway, happy days!

🐏🐏🐏

I doubt he’ll be allowed to film anything at the Oasis gig. 
I wonder how he got his tickets so fast.