Stick or Twist?

i-Ram

Paul Warne has achieved everything David Clowes has wanted to date it seems.

Warne now embarks on his next challenge, which is clearly more demanding.

My questions are:

1) Will Clowes in the coming weeks show full support for the job Warne has done, and the job he now has to do, by renegotiating his contract giving him and his team a new 4 year term to work with?

2) How would you personally feel about it if Warne did now sign a 4 year contract. My instinct is that Warne currently enjoys about 80/90% positivity on this forum. If you were Clowes, would you restart the clock now?

I should perhaps add, let’s not get into the same tiresome debate about Warne’s strengths and weaknesses. I am more interested to explore whether you think Clowes, or you yourself, would say he merited another 4 years based on his achievement.

If I were Clowes I’d be leaving Warne (and his staff’s) contract as is. Warne probably also content with that. There’s still 2 years to run, probably had some sort of bonus or % increase written in should he achieve promotion. Wait and see how we go and if there’s a need to discuss a new deal it can happen later in the next season. 

Clowes is a smart businessperson. A new deal will come but only when Warne has exceeded expectations. Say it’s this time next year and we are comfortably safe.

Warne has two years to run on his current deal, so surely you just let things play out.

Dealing with the manager’s future would be a needless distraction at this point. It should be a case of all eyes and all minds on building the best possible playing squad we can.

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If I were Clowes I’d be leaving Warne (and his staff’s) contract as is. Warne probably also content with that. There’s still 2 years to run, probably had some sort of bonus or % increase written in should he achieve promotion. Wait and see how we go and if there’s a need to discuss a new deal it can happen later in the next season. 

Agree with this.

If D.C needs to re-evaluate, he can do so after next season. If Warne does well it puts him in a stronger negotiating position but that’s a price I’m sure we’d all accept. Conversely, if he doesn’t, it gives D.C the chance to pause for thought and plan a successor.

My expectation is only a real perceived danger of revisiting league 1 after say Christmas, might get D.C twitching, even then I’m not totally convinced he’d fire a bullet and twist.

Warne has openly spoken about the targets he was given and he’s hit major ones of achieving record points and promotion. The will always be niggles in managerial performance but there doesn’t seem any reason to change PW’s contract at the moment. With the step to the championship, summer transfers, and subsequent changes to team dynamics, it would be good to keep the consistency in management. 

The 4 year contract was a bold move by David Clowes, its paid off, they'll be a nice bonus for Warne and his staff i should imagine so no need to do anything just yet.

Sage touched on it above, its a different task for Warne than it was with Rotherham. Derby fans will expect more than just fighting to stay up, Thats not being entitled, its just how it is, Derby are capable of competing with half the Premiership in terms of fan base, stadium, training facilities etc so of course Clowes will not want a relegation fight and probably expect a go at the play offs in the second year.

I would be more than happy with a solid top half finish, no major brush with relegation and build for the following season. I think Clowes would be as well. 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Paul Warne has achieved everything David Clowes has wanted to date it seems.

Warne now embarks on his next challenge, which is clearly more demanding.

My questions are:

1) Will Clowes in the coming weeks show full support for the job Warne has done, and the job he now has to do, by renegotiating his contract giving him and his team a new 4 year term to work with?

2) How would you personally feel about it if Warne did now sign a 4 year contract. My instinct is that Warne currently enjoys about 80/90% positivity on this forum. If you were Clowes, would you restart the clock now?

No new contract, he has to prove himself at this level....  Needs a top 10 finish for me, providing he's given some money to work with.

Get Adams signed up and build a team round him!

Edited by RAM1966

3 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

No new contract, he has to prove himself at this level....  Needs a top 10 finish for me, providing he's given some money to work with.

Get Adams signed up and build a team round him!

As much as Adams transformed us this season, I'm not convinced he's a star player in a top ten Championship team 

Mr Clowes is a pragmatic businessman as well as a Derby County fan. How he reconciles these 2 positions I don’t know - I couldn’t. So, having achieved target 1 {promotion} there won’t be any new deal yet.

I suspect that a date will have been set when Mr Clowes, Mr Pearce and Team Warney will sit down. Mr Pearce will set out the “war chest” & Team Warney wil say, we need Player X, Player Y, and Player Z along with Player A, B, & C*. Mr Clowes will say, you can’t have Player C, he’s too expensive. Team Warney will say ok but without all those players, we won’t achieve top 10. Mr Clowes, whose been playing 4-D chess ♟️ all along, will say “Ok, Warney, you can have Player C, but you must achieve a top 10 finish”; Warney will say “You’re a lovely human Mr Clowes” they’ll shake hands then hug, then Mr Clowes will say we’ll review it in 3 months time.

Classic Plan-Do-Review on an iterative loop. If we achieve top 10 finish next season, Team Warne will be offered a new deal. That’s how Mr Clowes will run it. 

*Player names have been concealed for reasons of commercial confidentiality. 

Edited by Ellafella

3 hours ago, sage said:

As much as Adams transformed us this season, I'm not convinced he's a star player in a top ten Championship team 

I respect your opinion @sage you always seem well informed and insightful but on this occasion I’m inclined to disagree; he’s not a star indeed but I do believe he’ll be just as effective in the Championship as he was in L1. I also believe he’ll get better and he’s got more goals in his locker. 😲

Given that the average tenure of an EFL manager is about 18 months, I thought Clowes was mad giving Warne a 4 year contract to start, although I guess that is what it took to entice him away from Rotherham, think he would be even madder to extend his contract now given that we are moving up a level.

I'd be amazed if Warne ever signed another contract at Derby. Even within his comfort zone of League One, he's looked extremely stressed & whilst expectations will be tempered upon our return to the Championship, the fanbase will be expecting top half finishes after a season of consolidation. I dont think he'd relish that at all.

Warne has 2 years & 5 months left of his contract which gives both sides ample time to work out if this managerial team has the ability to ultimately progress the club to a playoff push by Year 3. I wouldn't even be thinking of discussing a contract this time next year if we finished in midtable (which for me is the absolute best case scenario for us next term). Contracts are usually given to protect clubs from others poaching but I dont see that ever being an issue with Warne & as thibgs stand, his current contract feels like a bit of a millstone with high potential of a big early payout because things have gone wrong.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The 4 year contract was a bold move by David Clowes, its paid off, they'll be a nice bonus for Warne and his staff i should imagine so no need to do anything just yet.

Sage touched on it above, its a different task for Warne than it was with Rotherham. Derby fans will expect more than just fighting to stay up, Thats not being entitled, its just how it is, Derby are capable of competing with half the Premiership in terms of fan base, stadium, training facilities etc so of course Clowes will not want a relegation fight and probably expect a go at the play offs in the second year.

I would be more than happy with a solid top half finish, no major brush with relegation and build for the following season. I think Clowes would be as well. 

While I don't expect a relegation fight. I certainly don't expect us to be ripping up the league based on fan base size. The current team is pretty much a band of bandits that were cobbled together on a shoe string. A large amount will probably be moved on, and there are those out of contract. We know that DC does not have the bank roll of many owners. So unless we get investment,  we can't expect the very best that the championship can offer. We will probably need a fair few new players. I would temper any expectations.  Any thing more than mid table would be great I think in. the first year.

Just my opinion 

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I don't think so no, I would imagine there would be some kind of financial incentive that will have been included in the contract on gaining promotion, so he will be rewarded for that. This will be something that will be reviewed next summer as he enters his final season.

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I would be fine with it, I wouldn't see it as a reason for huge celebration as such nor a reason to throw the toys out the pram. We know managerial contracts don't mean a lot these days.

End of the day, the length of the contract really only benefits the manager and his staff with secured payout if terminated early, hitting the owner in the pocket.  

I think we give him time in the same way as if he was a new manager.

this is a new era for the club now, first time in what 2 years plus that we havent operated under an embargo or a strict business plan.

a lot of players still here were signed at the v end of a transfer window where were still waiting to find out if we have a club.

there will be a lot of changes due to out of contracts and quite simply a step up in league quality.

so as i said at the start of this season, we … as a fanbase would be best placed to exercise patience … not go off on one after 6 games, 12 games or even before xmas.

if there is wholesale changes no matter who u are it takes time for those players to gel and hit a rhythm… hopefully people will have seen this last year and will be more prepared to exercise some retraint be calling for the manager to go or slashing wrists after 30 minutes of the first home game that doesnt go our way