Stick or Twist?

i-Ram

I hope we're realistic next year. I'd suggest the target should simply be return the position in accordance with our position in the league's wage bill table. Given where we're starting from I'd think that'd be an excellent achievement. If we pay a top half wage bill then target a top half finish. If we're bottom 12, then expect it to be a tougher season. I'd expect we'd have a "competitve" budget for the Championship and lets see therefore if we can be competitve, hopefully not in a relegation battle. 

We'd be making a mistake IMO if we offer a new contract and would  therefore be   more expensive for Clowes if it doesn't work out in a higher league, so let it run and see what happens would be prudent , makes no sense at all to offer anything and so far PW has only done what was probably expected of him 

Next season will be tough but recruitment will be key 

I don't really care how or what he's done in the Championship to date with Rovrum

judge him purely on what he does with us so no new contract and lets see what happens  

12 hours ago, Jourdan said:

People will get bogged down with individuals, when we have to think about the team as a whole.

We don’t necessarily need 11 outstanding individuals to prosper, but we do need individuals that complement the players around them and make the sum of the parts that much better.

As mentioned before, look at the current Ipswich squad. On an individual basis, very few of them if any would have been considered a top Championship player last summer and probably still aren’t now.

However with good coaching and man-management, as a unit, they look fantastic and have carried confidence and momentum through into this season and they are very much deserving of their place in the promotion picture.

The beauty of next season is everyone starts on zero and if we start our preparations today, we have a head start on over a third of the division.

I think thats warnes strength tbh , coaching, man management getting the best out of players

look at didzy last year.. best career scoring season ever at the age he was.

nelson… i wager thats one of his best seasons to boot. 

cashin… looks a bloody star destined for the prem tbh.

collins, kept out the side for large chunks last year cos of didzys form but he still managed to squeez another what 17-18 goals out of a guy at the tail end of his career.

nml… again, probably one of his best or most productive seasons 

it aint by chance 

19 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really like who?

Willie Carlin was a journeyman, Alan Hinton was out of favour at Forest and became pivotal in our team. His Forest side was full of them - Robertson, Larry Lloyd, Frank Clark, Ian Bowyer and others. That was Clough and Taylor's magic - turning ordinary players into champions.

You can look at Bournemouth in recent years and Luton now - both had players who've played through the divisions with them. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Ipswich had a young team and spent a fortune putting it together. We have an old team that apart from the odd few, needs a complete rebuild.

Ipswich spent 2.4 million in transfers and average age was 29.

Edited by Charliegeorge1962

55 minutes ago, Charliegeorge1962 said:

Ipswich spent 2.4 million in transfers and average age was 29.

???

Where did you pull that info from?

Just looked on Transfermkt and according to them Ipswich spent £5.8m over two seasons (plus undisclosed loan fees) assembling that promotion squad. Who else in League 1 has spent anything close to that?

The average age of the squad in the promotion season was 25.