Stick or Twist?

i-Ram

No need to extend a contract that has 2 years to run. If we have a successful first season in the Championship (by the owner's metric, not necessarily the fans) then it might be appropriate/desirable, but not right now. I've no doubt that they'll be rewarded for achieving promotion by way of bonuses, and rightly so, but the project was "stability in the championship within 5 years" and there's still work to be done to achieve that.

7 hours ago, sage said:

As much as Adams transformed us this season, I'm not convinced he's a star player in a top ten Championship team 

To be a top championship player, you’re talking about being to ready for the move to premier league level. I don’t think any of the team are at that level and for Derby to get to that point, some new players will be needed. I wouldn’t write off Ebou, I can see his confidence growing and his performing well. 
As in a promotion in any job, it takes a little while to learn the ropes and settle in, but some people can really excel with that opportunity. This is my bit of positivity and how I hope the team develops. I would be happy with a strong mid table, just into top half finish next season. 

7 hours ago, sage said:

As much as Adams transformed us this season, I'm not convinced he's a star player in a top ten Championship team 

I'd sign him for next season absolutely but he didn't make it at Cardiff for one reason or another and that might not be anything to do with his quality.

But when you watch the very top teams in the championship this season in top form, the speed in which they move the ball is almost premier league esk. We are going to need to box clever tactically and it will require disclipline not to leave big gaps, which might not be exploited against Carlisle, but will be by the likes of Leeds or Southampton. To reiterate, I absolutely think we should sign him but he might have to refine his game a touch 

It’s a funny one isn’t it. If we were to go down then there’s probably no one you’d rather have managing in 12 months time, which would make it difficult to assess what you do with him if we were to be in trouble. I’m not sure if a new contract complicates or simplifies that. 

I think and hope we can be safe ish this season, never looking in huge trouble but consolidating, with steps taken to add a bit more long term value to the squad. If we do that, Warne will have earned another contract when he has a year left. But I don’t think it would be necessary now. I thought at the time, and still think really, the 4 years was excessive, although on the other hand maybe if it’s shorter Warne goes earlier in the season. 

9 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I should perhaps add, let’s not get into the same tiresome debate about Warne’s strengths and weaknesses. I am more interested to explore whether you think Clowes, or you yourself, would say he merited another 4 years based on his achievement.

You've united the fan base.

You will also get the blame if the out of contract Warne leaves us for City in 2 half years!

11 minutes ago, B4’s Sister said:

To be a top championship player, you’re talking about being to ready for the move to premier league level. I don’t think any of the team are at that level and for Derby to get to that point, some new players will be needed. I wouldn’t write off Ebou, I can see his confidence growing and his performing well. 
As in a promotion in any job, it takes a little while to learn the ropes and settle in, but some people can really excel with that opportunity. This is my bit of positivity and how I hope the team develops. I would be happy with a strong mid table, just into top half finish next season. 

I didn't say I wouldn't sign him, just responding to the 'build a team around him'.

As another poster suggests, he will need to release the ball earlier. Losing possession at a higher level has consequences more often.

Personally I would think around Christmas time would be about right for considering whether contract extensions are in order both for the club and for warne , it’s easy to forget that we as a club might not meet his ambition s in terms of being able to get the players he wants to give him a real shot at seeing how far he can go , anybody looking at his record over the last few years can see there’s obviously something there ,

the last two seasons have not really been about building anything other than a culture and spirit of togetherness amongst a squad and the club and the value of that should not be underestimated, the job was to get promoted asap , the other parts of the building job starts now and is shared between warne , scouting/recruitment staff and the club , I think this is where a lot of disagreement on this forum has come from ,

I see no reason why warne can’t thrive at championship level given the right backing and I hope he does , he deserves it far more than a lampard or Rooney trading on they’re names as top players 

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I respect your opinion @sage you always seem well informed and insightful but on this occasion I’m inclined to disagree; he’s not a star indeed but I do believe he’ll be just as effective in the Championship as he was in L1. I also believe he’ll get better and he’s got more goals in his locker. 😲

I'd still sign him as he will be effective in the championship but won't stand out as much as his athleticism won't dominate as much against better players. 

As I mentioned in another post, he will need to learn to be a but more Daryl Powell and release the ball earlier after he wins it. He already gets caught in possession which will be fatal at a higher level. 

9 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I should perhaps add, let’s not get into the same tiresome debate about Warne’s strengths and weaknesses. I am more interested to explore whether you think Clowes, or you yourself, would say he merited another 4 years based on his achievement.

If he achieves Championship stability in 4 years then Clowes would probably be happy. Whether he'll give him as long as Clough Jnr got, who knows. He had the Club stable didn't he? Perhaps it might be dependent on financial support and new input?

Edited by RoyMac5

Surely there's no rush to consider Warne's contract, there's enough length to give both sides comfort.

Much as actually achieving promotion has put to he'd a lot,I know some have a valid question about Paul Warne in the championship. I feel like if that gets answered positively (in so far as results in line budgets and expectations from the board) then it comes down to what PW wants to do as it's clear Clowes is bought into PW for all sorts of reasons beyond the bare results.

Just from the other angle... If Birmingham go down (as I think they will) I could see them coming in with a tempting offer for the 'King of League One'. They will be in our shoes and want as swift a return to the Championship as possible - something that Warne virtually guarantees with his track record!

I wouldn't be offering 4 year contracts full stop.   Derby in L1 it would be hard not to be in or around the play offs so that wasn't such a risk but in thve championship it's not ridiculous to suggest we might be in a relegation fight next season and you really don't want changing manager to be unaffordable.

The only way Warne gets poached is if he isn't happy at Derby and takes a sideways or downwards step - if he did feel that way then it would probably be best  for him and us to part ways anyway.

43 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Just from the other angle... If Birmingham go down (as I think they will) I could see them coming in with a tempting offer for the 'King of League One'. They will be in our shoes and want as swift a return to the Championship as possible - something that Warne virtually guarantees with his track record!

20 million compo and some party poppers.  They seem dumb as f*** enough to pay it.  How's their 65 thousand stadium coming along. 

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Personally I would think around Christmas time would be about right for considering whether contract extensions are in order both for the club and for warne , it’s easy to forget that we as a club might not meet his ambition s in terms of being able to get the players he wants to give him a real shot at seeing how far he can go , anybody looking at his record over the last few years can see there’s obviously something there ,

the last two seasons have not really been about building anything other than a culture and spirit of togetherness amongst a squad and the club and the value of that should not be underestimated, the job was to get promoted asap , the other parts of the building job starts now and is shared between warne , scouting/recruitment staff and the club , I think this is where a lot of disagreement on this forum has come from ,

I see no reason why warne can’t thrive at championship level given the right backing and I hope he does , he deserves it far more than a lampard or Rooney trading on they’re names as top players 

Great post 👏🏻👏🏻

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I would have said the same about the likes of Sam Morsy, but he's flying high at the top of with Ipswich!

Great point, i was watching Ipswich the other day and thought exactly this 

players surprise u sometimes. 

Edited by NottsRam77

I think there is no need to renew Warnes contract, and the next review will be at the end of next season, unless results are a disaster before then.

You only have to look at the team Brian Clough put together. Plenty of unfancied players who were grafters, and previously journeymen. Amazing what attitude, belief and momentum can do. Adams has dropped into the right place at the right time, he is loving it and just look at him grow!

Wilson and Cashin too!

Edited by Simmo’s left foot

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

Great point, i was watching Ipswich the other day and thought exactly this 

players surprise u sometimes. 

There's so many you can name where you watch them play for years and think "he's bang average"

And then he joins a side, plays under a manager whose system just suits him perfectly, and wow! Whole new player.

How many of ours players completely transformed under McClaren? 

I think Ebou just works here. But, as the pundits said on sportscene last night, Ebou needs to have a controller next to him.

Ebou can disrupt the opposition and get us the ball back, but he's going to need someone who can pass the ball and drive forward with it next to him. 

8 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I think there is no need to renew Warnes contract, and the next review will be at the end of next season, unless results are a disaster before then.

You only have to look at the team Brian Clough put together. Plenty of unfancied players who were grafters, and previously journeymen. Amazing what attitude, belief and momentum can do. Adams has dropped into the right place at the right time, he is loving it and just look at him grow!

Wilson and Cashin too!

Really like who?