Match Thread: Carlisle United (h)

Started today with slurps at the Neppy, then in the bar at what used to be the DW  and then in. My daughter was feeling sick and dizzy, and had a cracking headache but still came to the match 'cos she simply had to!

What a cracking start (and end) by Birdy, who gave that shot everything he had! Then it went a bit flat, as if we were going to do the usual and see out a 1-goal lead to the end, but I didn't care - we are going up! The second goal lit the team up because there was now no pressure whatsoever. 

Great to sing for the Right Honourable David Clowes, and the ovation at 55 minutes was brilliant! And for B4 to be commemorated so proudly was a beautiful touch!

And I did eventually go onto the pitch with son and daughter to re-live the last time, 10 years ago after the Brighton play-off semi - see both piccies below!

Is the rumour true that Paul Warne will feature in the New Years Honours list as first recipient of an MBE, which will actually be a a new honour, the Member of the Bobble Empire?

Well done Paul! You did what you were brought here to do - I had my doubts, mainly about what we had to watch, but what we did end up watching was a club going places. You've earned your stripes. Now, as 02 used to say "See what you can do"!!!

WhatsAppImage2024-04-27at16_52.06_99e53335.thumb.jpg.d3a3a99a3c500bd8284915c67dbbeb1d.jpg

I've got no voice left! 😄

Amazing atmosphere. Amazing scenes. This one will live long in the memory.

The early goal really steadied any nerves and even when Carlisle were on top and Bolton were 2-0 up the defense looked so solid that I don't think we were ever seriously tested. The second half was much better, and the combination of going 2-0 up and Bolton fluffing their lines, that last 20/25 minutes was a victory lap/procession. The scenes at full-time were life-long memories stuff. 

Over the past few weeks every single player has played their part. No passengers carried, and to a man they've turned up when we needed them. Today, there were so many candidates for MotM it almost seems unfair to single players out, but I thought Adams and Bradley were absolute monsters. They had so many corners/crosses and I don't think they actually won a single one! Every time a ball dropped to a Carlisle player on the edge of the box it was blocked every single time. Bradley, Nelson, Cash....immense. In midfield it looked like we'd cloned Adams, he was here, then there, then back over here....outstanding. And Max, great goal, put in a great shift and was named MotM, can't ask for more on his final appearance for the club. Also thought Korey Smith had a fantastic game for us, loved when there was a few minutes left and both Smith and Adams hunted down one of the Carlisle players and took the ball off him, both of them high-fiving each other after they'd done it. It just typified the spirit running through the entire team.

What a brilliant f***ing day!

What a day. I love everything about this club so much - imagine if it had gone. So happy to see David Clowes enjoying himself so much.  The standing ovation for him was just fabulous.
I cant really remember anything on the pitch after we got the second. I was worried we would run on the pitch before the end of 90mins (EFL!) - well done to the fellow fans who stopped those who were tempted.

The end was perfect - the pitch celebration was just that - so good natured and perfect that the players were loving it. A trophy - not sure why but again it just worked perfectly.

What scenes. Will never forget it. 

And finally just thank you David Clowes. And thank you Paul Warne. Met him last week after Cambridge and am now totally under his spell. His hugging Max as he came off and interview on Radio Derby discussing Max and their dads sent me over the edge. He obviously cares so so much and sounded so shattered and I hope he gets to recharge properly. 

People may say we're over-celebrating but has a promotion ever meant so much? 

A day i will treasure for the rest of my life. Train down from Leeds was absolutely teeming with West Yorkshire based Rams, plenty of beers & laughs on board. Then a few beers pre-match in the Alex before heading down to PP via that amazing new mural by the underpass courtesy of Popside Fanatics.

Atmosphere was every bit as electric as I'd expected & brilliant to get that early goal. What a way for Max to sign off his career here. Ok Carlisle played some neat stuff thereafter but was never seriously worried. As soon as we scored our second & we heard Bolton were losing, we knew we were up. Pitch invasion was absolute magic, scenes that will stay with me forever.

After the humiliations this club has suffered in recent years, we deserved today. But a massive thank you to Paul Warne, the players & the coaching staff...heroes the lot of you. Biggest thank you though goes to the man who deseevedly got his minutes applause...David Clowes, you took this club from the grip of extinction & restored its pride. You deserve the freedom of this city.

P.s. was brilliant seeing the club's tribute to B4...his legend will always live on. Hope you enjoyed looking down today pal 👍

Absolutely love you Derby County. My club 🖤

7 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

By the way did the unbelievable atmosphere come across on tv?

Very much so, sounded like the crowd went flat after the first goal when Carlisle had a spell, but either side of that were in fine voice and the scenes at full time were unreal. Very jealous of everyone who was there today. 

Don’t you know, pump it up, the Rams are going up!

Felt remarkably calm at full time. Few fist bumps in the air, but mainly felt relief it had actually happened. The one moment I did well up, as a few others have shared similarly, was when David Clowes walked out with the trophy. His face said it all, and that got to me more than anything else.

Thats our beautiful tinpot 2nd place trophy, and we’re keeping it!

What a day! Just a great end to the season. How fitting that Max should score in his final game, I genuinely hope he enjoys the change he seems to have wanted. We must sign Ebou, he was absolutely everywhere today, and seemed to completely love the after match celebrations! I know this League has not been to everyone's taste, but I've enjoyed visiting new grounds and new cities. And of course spending time with my boy, and being able to celebrate with him today at an age that he will remember! Looking forward to seeing how Mr Warne gets on next season. When's the fixture list out?😁 COYR!