Dwight Gayle - Signed until the end of the season

Topram

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

we’re gonna win the league, and now you’re gonna believe us!

This will be a huge signing in my opinion, I just feel it in my bones. 

had a bad stint at Stoke but is miles above this league in my opinion, cashing in the kids premium bonds as I speak to bet on him scoring Saturday 🐏 

46 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

If we had been offered Smith, Gregory or Gayle, how many would have voted for the first two?

Out of those 3 Gayle has not only played at a higher level but is also more of a natural goal scorer ….could be a real coup this 

Glad we have a proper striker to play the role. Glad he’s happy to come to Derby.  

Collin’s was leading the line well for us and gave us 13 goals and 1 assist directly in his 32 league games. 
Just under one every other game. 

His overall contribution and closing down I’m sure has given us more but that’s not as measurable. 

As others have said, if we get anything close to 5/6 goals or assist from DG he would have played his part and we wouldn’t have lost anything from that forward position in terms of goals. 

What we also hope is that his guile and brain can contribute as much as Colin’s work rate and bustle did for the rest of the team. 

Welcome to Derby DG. 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

If we had been offered Smith, Gregory or Gayle, how many would have voted for the first two?

Gayle was (still is ?) the better footballer. But to be honest if I had known that Collins was going to be out it would have been Smith. A better version of Collo that would have enabled us to keep playing the same way i.e. little disruption and better continuity imho. 
To get the best from Gayle (playing as a sole striker as opposed to the normal two) will mean that we will have to change how we play a bit. Yes, in theory (and hopefully) NML, Barks etc can feed in to him, but it will take a little time to gel.

In all honesty i can see PW setting us up at Barnsley like he did on satdee and to me that would make a lot of sense. We certainly want to blunt them early on and then maybe look to change at 60 mins again (depending how the game is going) and bring Gayle on for the last 25 mins.

To my mind this is one game where we just don’t want to lose.

Reckon its taken a bit longer just to get him a bit fitter before signing? Im trying to not get too excited but cant help it. I cant really remember what kind of striker he is tbh i just know he should be more than good enough to get us over the line 🤘

4 hours ago, CodnorRam said:

Reckon its taken a bit longer just to get him a bit fitter before signing? Im trying to not get too excited but cant help it. I cant really remember what kind of striker he is tbh i just know he should be more than good enough to get us over the line 🤘

He really does know where the goal is that’s for sure . If he keeps fit he will score goals no doubt about it. 

We didn't expect much from McGoldrick when he signed and he became a vital piece of the puzzle. Hopefully another elder statesman in Gayle can bring his previous Premiership class to League One. As already has been said look at Rhodes and Martin tear it up this season, McGoldrick last season. I'm very hopeful indeed for this signing.

27 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

We didn't expect much from McGoldrick when he signed and he became a vital piece of the puzzle. Hopefully another elder statesman in Gayle can bring his previous Premiership class to League One. As already has been said look at Rhodes and Martin tear it up this season, McGoldrick last season. I'm very hopeful indeed for this signing.

Well no matter how it turns out clowes and warne have give us a shot at autos , im sure nobody will be saying we were wrong to sign him 🙏

3 hours ago, SK47 said:

Anyone know when we get to hear him talk about the move and how great we are? Been watching out for the video since last night 🤣

I have a feeling they announced it before the press pack was ready to try calm all the talk blaming the EFL for blocking it, pure speculation on my part though.

I suspect they'll release the video tonight or in the morning.

2 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

What's going on? This isn't the Derby Way. The Derby way is to criticise a player before he has kicked a ball 😂

On a more serious note, Welcome Dwight and good luck 👍

You’re right….what is going wrong here. Just to return to normality let’s be clear he’s just a flat track bully; a Poundland CM; his legs have gone; he won’t want to play for Warne; he’s only come to play padel;…..that should do it….yes welcome to Derby Dwight 😁.