Dwight Gayle - Signed until the end of the season

Topram

I would imagine that it’s no surprise but I am feeling very positive about this.

There are going to be a lot of tight, tense games over the next 3 months and someone like Gayle with his movement and instinct in the box could be the difference between 1 point and 3 points in many games.

Let’s hope we get him fully fit and firing and he can lead us to promotion one way or another.

So relieved we've got Gayle signed up - Saturday was all the evidence needed to prove this side will struggle without a conventional forward option. Irrespective of lack of match sharpness, he has to start at Barnsley to stretch the pitch or we're going to struggle to get out of our half - if he can give us 60 mins, they will likely have tired enough by then for us to be able to escape the press.

Am not particularly concerned about his spell at Stoke - that club is a graveyard for decent managers & players and given the sheer squad size they have, must be difficult to get consistency in selection & therefore performance. Looking at the highlights reel from last few months he still has plenty of attributes that I believe will make him a success here - quick feet, great decision making, vision/awareness of other players in the final 3rd and a decent finish. Being a stocky type with a low centre of gravity, I'd also like to think he could hold the ball up reasonably well & am looking forward to seeing how he links up with Mendez-Laing & Barkhuizen. Warne will no doubt want him pressing like Collins but that might be a couple of games down the track once he is up to match fitness.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

I think it's also a massive positive that he seems to just be eager to play football and contribute to what will hopefully be a successful end to the season.

He was reportedly on 35k a week at Stoke. He left by mutual consent to go and play football for a quarter of the season, when he could have just sat around at Stoke and earned 4x a much to do very little. At 34, to walk away from the most he will ever earn again as a player just to play regularly is something you don't see too often.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I think it's also a massive positive that he seems to just be eager to play football and contribute to what will hopefully be a successful end to the season.

He was reportedly on 35k a week at Stoke. He left by mutual consent to go and play football for a quarter of the season, when he could have just sat around at Stoke and earned 4x a much to do very little. At 34, to walk away from the most he will ever earn again as a player just to play regularly is something you don't see too often.

I would be very surprised if there wasn’t a sizeable promotion bonus in his contract.

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I would be very surprised if there wasn’t a sizeable promotion bonus in his contract.

The EFL had to review and accept anything we offered him, I highly doubt they'd just let us chuck a load of money at him. Even if he is on a promotion bonus of some kind, the benefit of promotion would far outweigh whatever we would be paying him.

It’s crazy, I know so little about him but if he’s got a touch, which it seems he has, then he will thrive with us. Bird, NML, Nyambe and others in our team have the ability to think fast and play the unusual ball. We have lacked players that can read these things and get on a wave length. From what others have said DG might be the man. Let’s get him fit, sharp and in the fight asap.

21 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Probably saving a few grand on fuel in that Range being able to go straight to paddle ball from training and games.

30 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The EFL had to review and accept anything we offered him, I highly doubt they'd just let us chuck a load of money at him. Even if he is on a promotion bonus of some kind, the benefit of promotion would far outweigh whatever we would be paying him.

What I mean is, obviously we won’t be paying him anywhere close to £35,000 a week but we could pay a reasonable wage with the attraction of a potential bonus.

I remember the excitement when Dave Mackay added two “have beens” to the Rams line up!

Lee and George brought a whole new perspective to the team and helped us win our second League Championship.

Come to that, Dave Mackay played a massive part in taking us into the top tier despite injuries and being ‘older than the manager, Brian Clough!” at 35.

All the best Dwight. Enjoy your promotion bonus as a Ram!

1 hour ago, SK47 said:

I think people are focusing too much on his goals. Yes he's coming in to be a striker, but his link up play is where he shines most these days. I think he's gonna be the clever link between NML and whoever else plays in attack with him. Ofcourse we hope he will contribute to the goal tally, but he has come in and has qualities that none of our strikers do, and in this league, its a big signing even at his age.

Looking forward to seeing his first game 👌

Spot on . 😚

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I would imagine that part of the mutual consent would include Stoke paying a decent percentage of the balance of his contract, possibly 50%. This would allow him to play at Derby for much less, without losing out too much, financially. A good return over the remainder of the season could see him earn a decent contract either here or elsewhere next season, otherwise his career at a decent level, could be at an end.